1.    #1  
    As a longtime AOL Mobile Communicator (Blackberry) user, I have been searching for a successor device in light of AOL's decision to end the service. I -think- the Treo is the solution, but I have an issue:

I ordered a Treo 270 from T-Mobile because of their $29.99 unlimited data package (same as I paid for AOL MC service). Seemed like a great deal, good device, and a chance to consolidate with my Palm, which I rely heavily on. I was not really interested in using this device as a phone, since I have other mobile phones that I use for business that I am not changing over.

The Treo is great, but the T-Mobile coverage in my area is not. Does not work well at my home--I have trouble logging in to check AOL in various places. Verichat works ok, but the signals goes in and out wildly.

So, still within my 14 day return period, I went to the local Spring PCS store after determining that their wireless access seems to be much better. After talking to them and demonstrating a Treo 300, I left with one of those. $50 a month--more than I wanted to spend, but what seemed to be a way better network, and a good amount of voice minutes I can use if I want to leave without my other phone. Now I have BOTH devices to evaluate.

The Treo 300/Sprint definitely gets me online better. However, their seems to be a MAJOR difference in battery life. I've been using both devices to see which service suits me best, and the Treo 300's battery life is a joke.

My question is: Do I have a bum unit? Or, is this a different between the Sprint CDMA network (I think that's what it is) and the T-Mobile GPRS? Is one more battery intensive than another?

Basically, what I'm doing is leaving Verichat running in the background (my office, colleagues and friends communicate with me via IM throughout the day), periodically using the AOL client to check mail and once in a while browsing, but not much. The 270 seems to last all day. The Treo 300 today was telling me two hours after leaving my house and 4 hours after leaving the charger (but only with 2 or so hours) of being on wireless that the battery was "extremely low."

Should there be a difference between 270 and 300 battery life? Any other pros and cons between the two I should consider as I decide which--if either--to keep?

Also, on the 300, Blazer does not seem to be showing me graphics on webpages, whereas it is doing it on the same pages on the 270. I've checked my settings and it seems to indicate that it should be showing graphics.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

ME
    You should look at using Treohelper for your 300. That should help the 'turbo drain' you are experiencing. (I say all this only from what I read on the boards, as I have a 270.) Look for Treohelper at rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html
    I'm not really sure he's experiencing turbo drain. Seems like normal Treo 300 to me. Turbo drain would make it dead in less than an hour, and it would be very hot on the back.
    ok.. Like I said, I don't have the 300 problems and you're an expert. Sure sounds fast to a 270 user though. Aren't there modes of treohelper that would help extend his 300's battery life?
    Originally posted by jaytee
    ok.. Like I said, I don't have the 300 problems and you're an expert. Sure sounds fast to a 270 user though. Aren't there modes of treohelper that would help extend his 300's battery life?
    If the battery drain is caused by excessive network search, treohelper can be used to turn off the phone for a period of time. That's about all that can be done to extend battery life. There's nothing treohelper would improve while normally using the device, it only does stuff when parameters are out of whack, and there's only two things it can do; turn off the phone, or shutdown the data connection.

About the battery performance of a 270 versus a 300. I'm interested in the answer as well. I don't spend a lot of time with my 300 in decent coverage, so I had always assumed it was my poor coverage which was responsible for such miserable battery life. But I have recently spent some time with a 2 bar signal and it really wasn't much better, so now I'm stumped. I'm getting kinda sick of charging 3 times a day. Even with the extended battery I still have to charge it at the end of the day, and I barely used the thing; no voice whatsoever, and perhaps one hour of moderate use.

If it's fully charged, and I only allow my email to run during the day, I'll be at 75% by the end of the day. Each short browsing session will take .08V away. With voice I can get 1.5 hours on a full charge. I was hoping the updated firmware would fix all this, but I'm completely stumped since the performance hasn't changed for me at all.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Originally posted by potatoho

If it's fully charged, and I only allow my email to run during the day, I'll be at 75% by the end of the day. Each short browsing session will take .08V away. With voice I can get 1.5 hours on a full charge. I was hoping the updated firmware would fix all this, but I'm completely stumped since the performance hasn't changed for me at all.
    Wow. I'm a 270 user and get a good day to day and a half of moderate voice use (about 20-30 mins per day) and data use (TreoMail set to retrieve every 30 mins., occasional Blazer use to get my Hotmail and read TreoCentral while I'm waiting in line for things...).
    Originally posted by rfg17
    Wow. I'm a 270 user and get a good day to day and a half of moderate voice use (about 20-30 mins per day) and data use (TreoMail set to retrieve every 30 mins., occasional Blazer use to get my Hotmail and read TreoCentral while I'm waiting in line for things...).
    Can I get you to do a little test. I just want to see if the numbers add up. If you go to the launcher, hold pgup key and tap the stylus in the top-middle of the screen, a little popup window will appear showing some battery stats.

Can you tell me what the "Load" value is on your 270 at various stages of use. For example, what is it with the network idle, and then go browse something etc and quickly look at it to see what load is while the network is active.

Here are my 300's numbers..

With wireless off I get:

Load: 125mW

With wireless on (idle):

Load: 372mW (462mW briefly)

With wireless on (active):

Load: 1613mW
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    This forum is always a breath of sanity when I've had a 300 issue . . . when asking Handspring or Sprint about any know 300 battery issues, I get, " battery issues??? No, we've not heard anything...." I am very grateful for the link lead on the TreoHelper...I have experienced chronic signal search/battery drain problems. This morning after only about five hours from a full charge, I opened it to use the calculator and discovered it had COMPLETELY drained...zip...no function at all. I put it in the cradle and it recovered in a hard reset mode. I think Sprint is having some additional signal troubles in my area right now, so I'm hoping the TreoHelper will help. BTW, my "load" numbers were:
    OFF 125; ON 375; IN USE 2658 . . . so I don't know if that is normal or points to maybe another power issue I'm having. But thanks very much again to all who've contributed on this matter.
    Paul
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Originally posted by potatoho

Can you tell me what the "Load" value is on your 270 at various stages of use. For example, what is it with the network idle, and then go browse something etc and quickly look at it to see what load is while the network is active.

Here are my 300's numbers..

With wireless off I get:

Load: 125mW

With wireless on (idle):

Load: 372mW (462mW briefly)

With wireless on (active):

Load: 1613mW
    Sure, wireless off - Load: 1225mW
    Wireless on, no GPRS connection - Load: 1315mW
    Wireless on, GPRS connection - Load: 2215mW
    from my 270

phone off, gprs off : 1025 mW
    phone on, gprs off : 1115 mW
    phone on, gprs on : 1115 mW

of course, it is pretty impossible to simultaneously be at the application window and in an active network app... so no difference seen between:

phone on, gprs on, idle

and

phone on, gprs on, active

suprisingly i see no difference between gprs on and off either.
    Sure, wireless off - Load: 125mW (sic)
    Wireless on, no GPRS connection - Load: 1315mW
    Wireless on, GPRS connection - Load: 2215mW
    I'm going to assume that top is 125mW, it was 1225mW in your msg. Anyways, so yeah, that jives with me though I suspect that your "no GPRS connection" would go down after a few seconds, 1315mW seems a bit high.

If I add mine up:

P(watts) = I(amps)*E(volts)
    1.613 = I*3.7 --> I = 1.613/3.7 ergo I = .44

So during active network, my current draw is roughly 44mA. I have a 850mAh battery, so usage should be .850/.44 = 1.93 hours. That sorta makes sense because I get 1.5 hours before the low battery indicator comes up, and I know there are peak powers > 1.613 on mine.

I just did a data test, where I left a connection going which is read-only from a server. It is a stock streamer I wrote. I got 1 hour before the low battery warning. Even that, I could live with if it included both send and received data, but like I said it was completely read-only.

When I do stuff like web browsing or I do multiple TCP connections in a short while, the battery drains like crazy. So if I need some information and I hit maybe 3 web pages, I can expect at least a .04V hit for my trouble.

You know what I'm starting to wonder about.. I'm starting to wonder whether the turbo drain and the poor data performance are related. You know how on CDMA you have to choose between voice and data, well it works differently on my SprintPCS Sanyo phone. On the phone, you can't do voice for the entire duration of a data connection. You have to logout. So that makes me think that there is some cheezy data doodad that the Treo sends out EVERY time the data goes idle<-->active. And what if that data doodad is like super-powered or something so that it uses a lot of power.

So then I'm thinking that poor performance may only be when you have a Treo 300 switching between voice and data often. I'm already convinced that the data doodad is responsible for turbo drain, so I imagine it could also be causing a bunch of little micro drains during an interactive data session. Oh well just a theory.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I was running xLight, which turns the backlight on with new activity, which accounts for the high numbers. When I disable xLight, I get 1115mW with GPRS, but no data being sent and 1025mW with wireless off.
    I was running xLight, which turns the backlight on with new activity, which accounts for the high numbers. When I disable xLight, I get 1115mW with GPRS, but no data being sent and 1025mW with wireless off.
    How did you get the number _with_ data being sent?
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jaytee

How did you get the number _with_ data being sent?
    Do a background send and receive in TreoMail.
    assuming, of course, that I have treo mail
    No international coverage and a energy pig - should have stuck with your 270
    enjoying life
    I saw something mentioned about aol ealrier, bu I admit to not thoroughly reading the thread, so please ignnore this if it is irrelevant.

The aol software for palm is a primary culprit of engaging the hot data connection, at least on the 300. I need to do a soft reset after using it on my 300 or my battery is toast within 90 minutes.

After I got the software kinks out, I found the battery performance to be satisfactory. A charge every other day was fine for 20 minutes of calls, and a 1/2hr of web per day.

Good luck.

-rob