1.    #1  
    Does anyone out there have any insight into how quickly the 600 will be available in Canada? Despite some of the drawbacks noted on treocentral (not hi res screen, etc), I CAN'T wait to get this device!!!

Handspring predicts Fall'03 delivery. Then there are the individual carrier releases. I'm really worried that it may take longer for the Canadian carriers to offer the 600. Somebody please put me out of my misery and tell me that there are plans for a concurrent Canadian roll-out !!!
    I doubt it. I say Rogers gets it in the Spring 2004, if it comes out in the fall. It would probably be cheaper to buy it unlocked from the US. With the way the dollar is, it's almost cheaper to do that.
    I live in the US now but moved from Toronto. I bought the 270 when it first came out and was using it with my fido sim right away. If the GMS isn't released her at the same time I'll likely get someone to buy it in Europe for me and hope that it works with FIdo...does rogers also support GMS or only TDMA/CDMA?

al
  4.    #4  
    Thanks Appleman. Not sure what math you are using...what pricing assumptions are you making? Handspring is claiming a US$400-500 price point. If I buy it "unlocked" in the US I assume I will pay higher prices than the carrier subsidized "lock you into a plan" pricing. Then when I convert to Canadian (even at today's better exchange rates) it still looks like an expensive proposition.
    The assumptions I am making are based on what happened with the 180270 and not buying it from retail store............in other words, eBay is your frend

Treo 270 from Rogers with a 2 year contract: $699 CDN.
    Treo 270 from eBay: $430-480 USD -> $579-646 CDN, no contract.

None of this is scientific, obviously, and depends on when you want to buy and also on how important it is to you on not having a contract. To me, I'd rather pay a little more and not be locked in to Rogers.

Getting it when it first comes out is never going to be very economical.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Appleman

Treo 270 from Rogers with a 2 year contract: $699 CDN.
    Treo 270 from eBay: $430-480 USD -> $579-646 CDN, no contract.

None of this is scientific, obviously, and depends on when you want to buy and also on how important it is to you on not having a contract. To me, I'd rather pay a little more and not be locked in to Rogers.

Getting it when it first comes out is never going to be very economical.
    Ain't that the truth...but I must admit I'm a sucker because I get so emotionally attached to the idea of having one device instead of two...and how cool this thing is...
    I also want a combined device, waiting for my contract to expire. I initially wanted a Kyocera 7135 (and would still love to have one). I had to wait a long time after the US release for it to become available from Bell Mobility here in Canada. If I was not under contract with Telus, I would have made the jump to Bell and the Kyo.

With the announcement of the Treo 600, I may try and wait it out (November) and get that instead.

Does anyone know which Canadian carriers will offer this phone? I would not switch to Rogers to get this phone as I have had problems with coverage, reception, and dropped calls on the Rogers network. If Telus or Bell will release it I would seriously consider this phone.

Thanks,
    Mike