1.    #1  
    One of the things I'm really going to miss on the new Treo (assuming I get it) are all my web clippings! I will really hate to have to give up DA, moviephone etc. I realize web clippings don't work on OS 5.x, but does anyone know of a potential work around in the future? Even if the whole concept of PQA's is antiquated and outdated, I still WANT them! IMO, it is still a viable alternative method to quickly get infomation wirelessly, even as wireless transfer rates improve. I know there's app like Pocket Web clipping for PPC that allow you to run pqa's. Why isn't is possible to create something like this for OS 5.x? Is there any hope?
    You can be sure that if they don't work, Palm or somebody will come out with something super quick so that they will work, i have no doubt about this one.

Take care.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    Originally posted by HAPPY$BOBBY$
    You can be sure that if they don't work, Palm or somebody will come out with something super quick so that they will work, i have no doubt about this one.

Take care.
    I have extreme doubts about this one. Why would they work to support something that is now defunct? Too much of the Palm world has moved on.
    gfunkmagic my DA stopped working after I updated - did you update? Is yours working? My "wireless" option in Prefs is fine (where you enter the proxy), but when I launch DA I get a reset...
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I have extreme doubts about this one. Why would they work to support something that is now defunct? Too much of the Palm world has moved on.

You may be right but i doubt it, i use the pqa's all the time and i believe others do too, they will hear some squaking if we can't have pqa's on a brand new high tech machine, time will tell.

Take care.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    PQA support for OS 5.x is not going to come from Palm according to what has been said a million times on the dev lists. I use PQAs a lot, though I use OCC a bit more and that has some likelyhood of getting moved over to another web method.

OS 5 from Palm has some cool web libraries though, but I'm thinking a lot of that comes from their native browser. Handspring may not have that stuff because they use Blazer, so that would be a disaster.

As for OCC support. It is open source, and what it does is give you a way to launch a URL via icon using the web clipping libraries. It is a simple matter to make it use a different browser, such as Blazer. Though you wouldn't have the history model of web clipping, which kinda makes the whole thing work.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by longday
    gfunkmagic my DA stopped working after I updated - did you update? Is yours working? My "wireless" option in Prefs is fine (where you enter the proxy), but when I launch DA I get a reset...
    I did the update and DA stil works for me. Are you sure you re-installed web clippings after the restore?

Edit: You may also want to re-install DA as well...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 06/25/2003 at 12:34 AM.
    Ohhhh you guys are talking about Directory Assist.. I thought you meant Desk Accessory. Yeah I just tried to launch my DA for the first time after upgrading and it crashed:

MemoryMgr.c, Line: 4340, NULL handle

I had to uninstall it and then install DA.prc again. It works now.
    I never did succeed in getting PQAs to work on my Treo 300. I downloaded all the files, entered the new proxy settings, did the soft reset and everything else. But still nothing. But it's really the only major complaint I have about the Treo 300.
    Originally posted by MrSandman
    I never did succeed in getting PQAs to work on my Treo 300. I downloaded all the files, entered the new proxy settings, did the soft reset and everything else. But still nothing. But it's really the only major complaint I have about the Treo 300.
    Considering PQAs aren't technically supported by any model other than the Palm VII, VIIx and i705, that's a pretty minor complaint!
    Considering PQAs aren't technically supported by any model other than the Palm VII, VIIx and i705, that's a pretty minor complaint!
    If you buy the Mobile Internet Kit it says m100, III, V Series, or any handheld running OS 3.5. Anyways, that's what I did, I bought the MIK for $2.99 on amazon. Didn't run any of the software of course, just manually installed the libs that were in a dir on the CD.
    It's pretty easy to install them on just about any PalmOS PDA with a OS 3.5 or newer. I've used PQA's on my Platinum with VisorPhone combination, on my Treo 180g and on my Treo 270. I'll seriously miss them when I upgrade to the Treo 600 perhaps along with some hacks that no longer work on the new OS.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    so if PQA's are passee, what is their replacement??
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    dear randy, i have the same ? or r we supposed 2 just use blazer?? and treo 600's new portal?? take care, jay
  15.    #15  
    You'll have to use mobile formatted alternatives. Checkout the following site for example:

http://pdaportal.us/

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by potatoho

OS 5 from Palm has some cool web libraries though, but I'm thinking a lot of that comes from their native browser. Handspring may not have that stuff because they use Blazer, so that would be a disaster.
    PalmSource's OS 5.x includes a version of the Access browser called NetFront.

Blazer 3.0 is a special version of this browser that includes some custom enhancements, including the Treo's UI.

Although I'm not a developer, I would bet if you looked in the T600 SDK you would find the same if not better APIs that generic OS5 includes.