1.    #1  
    With the 600 going flipless...Would you be confident in buying a new Treo 300 today given how many of you seem to have had a lid fracture on you and relied on Sprint store or other vendor to replace it with a new box?

With 600 flipless..is handspring moving flipless...will they continue to produce the flips to replace the broken lids?

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Last edited by GoldenCal; 06/24/2003 at 12:46 AM.
    Considering I just updated the main thread on the 300 flip with an update on my story, I'll be brief here.

Hell no! It makes no sense to purchase a T300 at this point. And you might want to seriously reconsider Handspring and Sprint as product vendors after going through the lid thread and some of the others.

That said, the T600 looks like an improvement. Carefully review the warranty information before you make a purchase though. We've all got to learn from the many lessons chronicled here!
    --
    jt
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I've owned my Treo 300 for a full year and let me tell you to break that flipper one has to be a complete abuser...it is as strong as can be.

Like the Sonys with their rotating panels, anything that moves can be twisted too much, but it is stronger than the Sony panels.

I look forward to the lack of flipper, as it just adds thickness.

But if you need to get email and web access on the road, I can think of no better than the Treo 300.

So get it now, and then you can upgrade to the 600 later.
    if you can find a store with it i would buy your treo from best buy and purchase the service plan. this is actually how i got my treo for free as well as my kyocera 6035 before that. if it breaks from normal usage (ie. opening the flip) you get a replacement. if there is no direct replacement you get another product with the same features. pretty good considering i started with a $100 nokia and traded to a 6035 and eventually to the $500 treo.
  5.    #5  
    Good thought on Best Buy but I had hoped to get it somewhere without the mail in rebate black hole (e.g. Sprint store, Staples,m etc.) but having a insurance policy maybe more important than waiting on the rebate.

Thanks.
    np, although i am kind of hoping my treo breaks after october so I can get a 600 as my plan is still good for another year. unfortunately I must have gotten a pretty solid 300 as I haven't had a single problem yet.
  7.    #7  
    What happened to your 6035? Mine is still solid as a rock..or brick...i guess

Just curious.
    well, shortly after flashing the rom and updating the firmware in order to switch to verizon (i wanted the 7135) I started having problems with the voice dial as it would instantly cancel when activated and would also attempt to activate during my voice calls. now that I have my treo I can't believe I ever wanted the 7135.
    Lovedatreo, have you had any problems with the Best Buy plans recently? I have a 12-month old digital camera that is having problems, but they insist on sending it in for repairs for 6-8 weeks. That's not what they told me when I bought the warranty. They assured me of same-day replacement. I won't buy any kind of warranty from anybody without written or recorded verbal confirmation of "unofficial" replacement terms.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Best Buy no longer sells the Treo, at least not in FL. I tried to get a replacement for mine, and all they could get me was a Samsung, I think. I took a replacement Treo from Sprint instead.
    skfny, the thing about your warranty is that it is a digital camera warranty. best buy has certain products they are not prepared to deal with on site. with these products they must either be replaced or sent out for repair. the decision to send or replace comes from the technicians so you may ave better luck at another store. there are certain (more expensive) products that BB REQUIRES to be sent so that an attempt can be made to repair. id say its about 50/50 that some come back still bad and are replaced and some come back fixed. these are the worst case scenarios that many representatives skip over when detailing the warraty. another bad point is that if a comparable product is not available (by the descretion of management) a voucher for its original price may be issued. i usually tried to outline this to my customers. anyhoo, even in the worst case scenario it only takes a couple weeks at the most and is far beyond what the manufaturer would cover (product defects ONLY, BB covers wear and tear as well as dust, heat and humidity as long as it is not due to negligence). hope this helps.
    since more are interested i thought i would give more detail. my original phone was a nokia with t-mobile that i purchased on employee pricing for $75. i couldn't get a signal anywhere and got fed up with it and brought it in. i just told them it had bad reception and they exchanged it out (this is RARE, but worth a shot) when i went to look at phones i decided to go with sprint as i had heard good things about coverage and wanted a sleek phone. i got some kind of teeny tiny lg phone. reception was great but the next day the 6035 went on sall at $100. i had never used a smartphone, let alone a pda before but wanted one BAD. i agreed to help out the inventory manager if he would let me do another exchange for the 6035. after that, i went home satisfied. after reading around at smartphonesource i heard of the 7135 but found sprint wouldn't carry it. i downloaded the files to switch to verizon in order to await the 7135s arrival. unfortunately, things didn't go so well and the speed dial decided to crap out. i took it to best buy and the techs checked my phone and then decided to issue a replacement voucher. i went up to the register with my samsung pdaphone in hand but the GM decided he wouldn't allow it as the would lose nearly $500 dollars. instead they would issue me a $75 voucher and let me buy it for the employee price of $425. i didn't like the results so i took my phone and my ticket to another store where they easily gave me the display treo300 the last one they had in colorado springs.

btw,

Originally posted by F1Turbo
    Best Buy no longer sells the Treo, at least not in FL. I tried to get a replacement for mine, and all they could get me was a Samsung, I think. I took a replacement Treo from Sprint instead.
    yes i realize this, best buy knew when i got my treo (nearly 9 months ago) there was a new treo in the works and started to wipe out there supply. (being the WORLDS largest electronics retailer has its advantages)
    Thanks for your info. I guess I'll try other BBs in the area. Hopefully, even if it does have to be sent in for repairs, it won't take the quoted 2 month time period. Thanks again.
    Originally posted by GoldenCal
    With the 600 going flipless...Would you be confident in buying a new Treo 300 today given how many of you seem to have had a lid fracture on you and relied on Sprint store or other vendor to replace it with a new box?

With 600 flipless..is handspring moving flipless...will they continue to produce the flips to replace the broken lids?

Thanks for any thoughts.
    I've been using my my treo since november and have never had a lid problem..of course, this is my fourth treo, but that's because of other problems.

Nevertheless, I'd definitely wait for the 600 and buy that.
    I'm on my third Treo because of the broken flip issue.