Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    After reading post upon post about the different color shades of the Treo 600, I'm left wondering if anyone REALLY knows what carrier's are going to get what colors; obviously, it's not completely important in the grand scheme of things, but I'm bloody curious.

    I'm mostly curious why Sprint would opt for the black version, when they have (for the past few years) very obviously pushed to make all their phones silver; in fact, when I see a silver cell phone anywhere, I just assume it's a Sprint phone. It's almost as if they've made it into a brand for themselves. So why in the world would they go for the darker, black model? To me, that alone just doesn't seem to make sense.

    Also, why would all of Handspring's advertising feature the silver version, when we know fll-well that Sprint gets to come out with their CDMA version first? Wouldn't they be displaying the black model on their trade pieces if *IT* were going to be the first phone rolled out? I can understand why they might show the black one at shows, because it may very well be their most current, working demo model, but I've yet to see Handspring put out an official image of one of them.

    I'm honestly just curious if anyone *really* knows the scoop at this point; like I said, I've read tons of posts on the matter, so I'm fairly aware of what the common thought is on the matter. Does anyone have any definitive answers yet, though?
  2. #2  
    NocTurnerV

    I am dying to know the same answer. I really want the black one and will even transfer cariers it that is what it takes. I have a GSM phone and I would be so happy if I could pop out the sim card and put it in the new 600, instead of having to switch carriers.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

    Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  3. #3  
    My 2 cents.....

    More than likely, the black phones are the 100 or so, working prototypes. The silver is going to be the 1st released version offered by Sprint.
  4. #4  
    I would think it would be the silver version, as that is the one Handspring is displaying on their site...

    Just a hunch...

    NCTreo300
  5. #5  
    ...The device will be released in two major versions: dual-band CDMA and quad-band GSM. The initial versions (with the dark-silver color scheme) will be launched by Sprint PCS in the U.S. and Orange S.A. in Europe. A month or two later, a generic GSM version will also become available, (in the lighter silver color,) which will be offered by T-Mobile USA, Cingular, and AT&T Wireless. Being dual-band, the CDMA version could also conceivably be carried by Verizon Wireless or smaller CDMA carriers, although no such agreements have been announced thus far.


    This is from a PhoneScoop article on the Treo 600.
    --Inspector Gadget

    "Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

    Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  6. #6  
    color doesn't matter much to me, but for those to whom it DOES matter, i'm surprised there is not more call for interchangeable face plates so folks could really personalize...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget


    This is from a PhoneScoop article on the Treo 600. [/B]
    Yeah, I've seen more than a few people mention that article, but I wonder if at this point it's totally true; there have been a few other good discussions (both here and on other boards) that have somewhat refuted that statement, at least at this point. I think the biggest thing thus far has been that the black Treo being shown apparently has a SIM Card slot, which seems mighty suspicious for a supposed CDMA Sprint/Verizon phone.

    Anyway, I just started this thread out of curiosity more than anything; like I said originally, Sprint is very gung-ho about silver, so I was surprised when I initially heard that their offering might be black instead. But as this point, who's to say, anyway?
  8. veroi's Avatar
    Posts
    178 Posts
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    #8  
    I have a picture of the SPRINT TREO but I am limited by the attachment size
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by veroi
    I have a picture of the SPRINT TREO but I am limited by the attachment size
    Why don't you e-mail it to me? I can get it to the right size in PhotoShop and post it for everyone to see?

    NocTurnerV@yahoo.com

    Otherwise, at *least* let us know what color your picture is, if nothin' else...
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV


    Yeah, I've seen more than a few people mention that article, but I wonder if at this point it's totally true; there have been a few other good discussions (both here and on other boards) that have somewhat refuted that statement, at least at this point. I think the biggest thing thus far has been that the black Treo being shown apparently has a SIM Card slot, which seems mighty suspicious for a supposed CDMA Sprint/Verizon phone.
    Furthermore, the phone that we all saw demo'd on the CNET video, which is black, not only has a SIM card door, but was actually connected to the T-Mobile network! Take a look at the image of the screen at the beginning of the interview when the interviewer was holding it. It clearly shows T-Mobile on the upper left and the upper right has a signal indicator with about 3 bars. It is also showing the small triangle indicating GPRS availability.

    Later pictures in the same interview show the phone with "Wireless mode off". Those pictures are clearly inserted into the video during editing, not close-up shots of the hands of the HS guy or the interviewer during the interview.

    However, all this doesn't say what either model's color is going to be when it's time for us to buy them. These could be the pre-release units and carriers will probably ask for the colors they want.
    Last edited by silverado; 06/26/2003 at 01:37 PM.
  11. jeeter's Avatar
    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #11  
    The link to this pic was posted in another thread by Tourdewolf. The phone clearly has a Sprint logo in the top right (opposite the Handspring logo) and is the "Dark Silver" color.

    Click Here »

    The T-Mobile on the 600 was a great catch Silverado. I hope all providers offer as many colors as are available.
    Last edited by jeeter; 06/26/2003 at 02:25 PM.
    My 2¢, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 » Treo 600 » Treo 700P » *** Unmentionable *** » Pre {rooted}
  12. #12  
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV


    Yeah, I've seen more than a few people mention that article, but I wonder if at this point it's totally true; there have been a few other good discussions (both here and on other boards) that have somewhat refuted that statement, at least at this point. I think the biggest thing thus far has been that the black Treo being shown apparently has a SIM Card slot, which seems mighty suspicious for a supposed CDMA Sprint/Verizon phone.

    Anyway, I just started this thread out of curiosity more than anything; like I said originally, Sprint is very gung-ho about silver, so I was surprised when I initially heard that their offering might be black instead. But as this point, who's to say, anyway?
    You missed part of what was said in the article. It said that BOTH Sprint and Orange (a GSM provider in the UK) would have the dark color first, so it's conceivable that there will be dark-colored GSM versions (with SIM doors) floating around. So far, I've seen nothing that refutes that possibility.

    Keep in mind that GSM's SIM chip design allows ANY GSM carrier to be used on ANY GSM phone, so it's not at all unusual to see T-Mobile on the phone in the video. All that had to happen was for them to put a T-Mobile SIM chip in it and rock-and-roll (GSM is truly plug-and-play). That has nothing to do with what Sprint, other CDMA carriers, or any GSM carrier may or may not do as far as the color of the device goes. Nor does it refute what the article said.

    I, too, hope that a choice of colors is available.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 06/27/2003 at 01:02 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

    "Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

    Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget


    You missed part of what was said in the article. It said that BOTH Sprint and Orange (a GSM provider in the UK) would have the dark color first, so it's conceivable that there will be dark-colored GSM versions (with SIM doors) floating around. So far, I've seen nothing that refutes that possibility.

    Keep in mind that GSM's SIM chip design allows ANY GSM carrier to be used on ANY GSM phone, so it's not at all unusual to see T-Mobile on the phone in the video. All that had to happen was for them to put a T-Mobile SIM chip in it and rock-and-roll (GSM is truly plug-and-play). That has nothing to do with what Sprint, other CDMA carriers, or any GSM carrier may or may not do as far as the color of the device goes. Nor does it refute what the article said.

    I, too, hope that a choice of colors is available.
    You know, I totally missed the point about Orange, because even though I'm well aware that they're a GSM provider, for some reason my mind just took them as CDMA at the time I wrote my original blurb. Even though us American's are really the only CDMA users around. Sorry about that.

    However, while that may leave things open for Sprint, I still don't understand why Handspring would advertise the Silver version so heavily, knowing full-well that Sprint is going to be first carrier out the door (at least, that's how it seems right now); why would they advertise silver, than ship black? Isn't that confusing for their brand?

    I guess I'm just hopeful for the silver because I'd like to see how well it stacks up against the black version; but having the choice would certainly be the best bet. Oye...
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV


    You know, I totally missed the point about Orange, because even though I'm well aware that they're a GSM provider, for some reason my mind just took them as CDMA at the time I wrote my original blurb. Even though us American's are really the only CDMA users around. Sorry about that.

    However, while that may leave things open for Sprint, I still don't understand why Handspring would advertise the Silver version so heavily, knowing full-well that Sprint is going to be first carrier out the door (at least, that's how it seems right now); why would they advertise silver, than ship black? Isn't that confusing for their brand?

    I guess I'm just hopeful for the silver because I'd like to see how well it stacks up against the black version; but having the choice would certainly be the best bet. Oye...
    Sprint may be the first carrier in the US market, but keep in mind that GSM represents a somewhat larger market than CDMA. Despite the number of people in the US, we're still way behind the rest of the world when it comes to mainstream use of wireless technology. Europe is not to be ignored.

    My guess is that the dark versions are the pre-production models and will see limited distribution. Everyone has their preferences when it comes to color. Some people like the dark color. Others like the silver. I prefer the silver.
    --Inspector Gadget

    "Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

    Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget


    Sprint may be the first carrier in the US market, but keep in mind that GSM represents a somewhat larger market than CDMA. Despite the number of people in the US, we're still way behind the rest of the world when it comes to mainstream use of wireless technology. Europe is not to be ignored.

    My guess is that the dark versions are the pre-production models and will see limited distribution. Everyone has their preferences when it comes to color. Some people like the dark color. Others like the silver. I prefer the silver.
    Oh, I'm ot downplaying the European market at all; in fact, they'll probably sell more of these things over there than they do here, if the price stays fairly reasonable. I'm well aware that GSM is quite a bit more prevalent than CDMA ever is, was, or will be.

    But I do agree with you on the dark color; it may eventually roll out for a carrier, but I think it's simply the pre-production color they happened to use to show the phone off. I'm not terribly picky either way (I just thought this thread might be fun), but if I had to pick, I'd want the silver anyway.

    Hopefully this will be sorted out in the next month or two...
  16. #16  
    Just about every phone sprint has pushed for has been silver. I think silver is their color. They have a few crappy phones that are different colors but all the good stuff is silver.
  17. #17  
    I prefer the silver color. There are many pics of the black ones, and I don't think they look refined. They make the phone look cheap and bulky. The silver kinda hides the bulkiness to the phone, making more of a "shadow" like appearance and less conspicuous, or less stand-outty. I like it that way. The silver one seems to flow better, seems to coordinate better with the keyboard and screen. Plus yes, it is Sprint's color, but personally, I think it looks more classy and stylish, more bling bling, but at the same time, subtle, and most importanty, powerful! which is the funny part.

    GO SILVER, SPRINT! ARE YOU LISTENING! SILVER WILL SELL BETTER AND LOOKS BETTER! SILVER IS SEXY! YOU will turn more heads with silver.

Posting Permissions