View Poll Results: Would you rather the new Treo 600 have a flip (new & re-designed) or no flip at all?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only if it was completely sturdy.

44 38.60%
  • Maybe, but I'd have to see it first.

28 24.56%
  • No, never again!!!

42 36.84%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Would you rather the Treo 600 have a good quality flip lid (re-designed from the previous treo's to actually work good - maybe somewhat like the nextel's i1000 flip lid where there's just a square window in the middle and when you shut it, it shows the time / date), or would you rather it stay how it is now with no flip?
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
    The missing option in this poll is:

A flip which only protects and halt - while keeping the ability to talk when it's closed (i.e, - move out the active parts, then it will do it's purpose without malfunctions).
    My Treo 270 has no lid... I would never go back to a clamshell design.
    www.gsmworld.com
    Yeah!
    I would like a lid that was removable like the Clie TG50, yet more stylish. I also wouldn't mind having a flip leather cover that attached to the stylus silo...
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    A removable lid seems like it would be even less sturdy than the lids on the current Treo models... Unless you're talking about the lid just being a lid and not doubling as a speaker. I think it would be interesting to see how it would work if it had a lid like the motorola i1000 (nextel).

Motorola i1000
    i would think it would be possible that a removable cover,like that on a TI calculator, could do the trick nicely. the cover is slid off the front, and then slides right there on the back. this would add on to the thickness a bit, but should provide sufficient protection.
    I think there's a market for slightly-worn cell phones. Kinda like stone-washed denim or something like that. Don't you hate it when you try to avoid that first scratch. They should come pre-scratched from the factory!

If I had to pick the perfect surface, it would be that suede stuff that used to be on everything. Remember it on the first Thinkpads? You could scratch it, and then just rub the scratch out. Nothing I've ever seen has held up as well as that paint.

We used to do that Thinkpad painting at a factory I worked at in the early 90's. I think it was from Sherwin Williams. I tried to track it down but I dunno what it was called, I only remembered "suede." Would love a spray can of that stuff!
    No flip is much easier for one hand operation, such as while bicycling or horseback riding, which I do.
    I don't like the lid style mainly because it's hard to answer the phone with one hand without requiring high dexterity (hard to accomplish when you're doing a million things at the same time) or unnaturally jerking the phone open.
    yeah, I would like a flip... on the current design! (so far I have never owned a cell phone without a flip- motorola flip, startac, ericsson T28, T39, Treo 300, etc.)

I think a thin double lid would be cool: a clear top half, that would only have to be opened if you wanted to touch the screen, and a bottom half that came up to the central buttons that could answer and hang up the phone when opened and shut (if desired).

the center buttons and d-pad would always be exposed, but deeply recessed when the lids were shut.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    I'd like a removable flip lid. Just for protection, I wouldn't want the speaker to be a part of the lid.

I bet this Treo will be quite a challenge for the case designers. There's not much wasted space on the 600 so you do have to be mindful of what you cover up with the case.
    Originally posted by Chu Zoo
    No flip is much easier for one hand operation, such as while bicycling or horseback riding, which I do.
    Out of curiosity, do you guys really have trouble opening the lid? Personally, I hold the Treo180 in my hand, and flip it out with my little finger one handed... Closing the lid involves swiping the thing across my chest, again, one handed.

Isn't this what everyone does?
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Why does it really matter that much if you have to use both hands to open or shut the flip? I dont see how its that big of a deal, I do it all the time. Dialing with one hand is a good feature, but I could care less if I have to use my other hand to quickly open or shut the flip.... maybe thats just me though.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I keep the treo inside my pants pocket, so a lid is just fattening. I keep the screen and keyboard towards my leg.
    Mcnab
    I'm sure Krusell will figure out a way...
    Mcnab
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Here's an interesting idea for a cover for the Treo 600's screen... I was reading a review of the new Tungsten T2, and it has a snap-on clear plastic cover. This seems like it would be perfect - especially since there is little need to actually use the touch screen. You could fully use the phone's functions and navigate without even removing the lid! The following link will lead to a picture of the clear snap-on cover (courtesy of cnet).

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/sc/30460866-2-200-DT6.gif
    I've had to send my Treo 270 in for repairs twice for the lid breaking off. The hinges break like if they were made of brittle rubber. Support told me that this was a common problem!

I think the ultimate test of durability should be conducted by a 2 year old.
    -Brett
    Originally posted by conflagrare

Closing the lid involves swiping the thing across my chest, again, one handed.

Isn't this what everyone does?
    Hehe.. my one-handed closing technique involves swiping across my chin. Since it's up there anyway.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast