1.    #1  
    This is crazy, are people here really sure that this is a 12 bit Treo screen? I despise the screens on the Treo 270 and 300 only because it has less color, not because it is low res. When I compare 16 bit pics on my Visor Prism with 12 bit pics on a Treo 300 I can definitly see a BIG difference. I don't mind low res at all, my Visor Prism Launcher screen looks dazzling and amazing with low res (thanks to ZLauncher). So I was not going to really mind getting this low res Treo 600. But now that I hear it is only 12 bit, thats just ughh and disappointing .

I guess I will just get the Samsung SGH smartphone now

Jonathan
    The Internet is a great way to get on the Net.
    --Bob Dole
    I've only heard about 1,000 reports of it being a 12-bit screen, but maybe the next 1,000 will be something new ;-). For what it's worth, it's reportedly much brighter than the sun. That might make it look "dazzling and amazing" in 12 bit.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I agree It makes no sense to make the new treo with the old 12 bit screen. Especially since it has a camera!! What are they thinking? Also, why doesn't it have a TFT screen??? I just don't get it. New products should have new features, which the 600 does, but only about 50% of the features are new Its kind of dissapointing.
    I believe the screen is a new feature (CSTN or whatever acronym it is). I think that a screen has three general components, brightness, color depth, and resolution. I think that handspring looked at the weakest link of these (can't read it in sunlight making the device nearly completely unusable) and fixed it. The other two aspects are completely usable in their current form if not optimal. As one might expect with a convergence device, you don't get the best of all worlds in one product.
    I personally would wait until I can actually see the screen myself before deciding if I'm disappointed or not. True the rumored and confirmed specs don't sound dazzling, but the people who have actually seen the screen have seemed pleased or at least not flat out disgusted by it. I'm not trying to criticize your comments, I'm just saying the 600 is a whole new creature and it may be hard to evaluate the specs based on the devices you are familiar with.

As far at the camera being there, I doubt it's going to be the kind that produces impressive photos that will look good even up on the web. I think it will be adequate to turn photos into icons to link with our contacts entries. And the photos will be of sufficient quality to look viewable on a friend's cell-phone screen or look halfway decent as background for our screens. That's probably about it.

And our screens will be of sufficient quality to display a recognizable photo from a friend's equally crappy cell-phone camera. But at this point, I think it's setting yourself up for disappointment to demand or expect much more than that type of functionality from either the camera or the screen. For really good photo display on a handheld, you're probably going to want a newer Tungsten or a Clie. For a good camera, well, you know...

The Treo 600 at this point seems even more than before, tilted toward the phone-centric side. We may be pleasantly surprised, but it's probably more realistic to realize the emphasis is on efficient and reliable convergence of a surprising number of varied functions, without emphasis on dazzling specs that make it a standout as either a PDA or a cell phone.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    I believe the screen is a new feature (CSTN or whatever acronym it is). I think that a screen has three general components, brightness, color depth, and resolution. I think that handspring looked at the weakest link of these (can't read it in sunlight making the device nearly completely unusable) and fixed it. The other two aspects are completely usable in their current form if not optimal. As one might expect with a convergence device, you don't get the best of all worlds in one product.
    CSTN stands for Color Super Twisted Nematic. It is the same technology that was used in the Treo 270/300. The only difference is that Handspring added more reflective material (for viewability in sunlight) and improved the backlight (making it much brighter).

CSTN is a passive-matrix display. Unlike TFT (Thin Film Transfer), which is the most expensive LCD display technology, and is also known as an Active Matrix display, CSTN is much cheaper to produce (half the cost).

CSTN used to have problems with refresh rate and ghosting. Recent advances in the technology, however, have made CSTN a viable alternative to active-matrix displays.

It's not perfect, but when trying to keep prices down for a particular market (mobile phone users), it's a reasonable compromise, IMO.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Thanks for the update on screen tecnologies. I knew about TFT being active-matrix, but I hadn't heard of the CSTN until this Treo 600 was announced. So even if not "new" it looks advanced enough to be many times brighter than the 300 while not sacrificing battery life.

I would really like to hear how much more a TFT 16-bit 320x320 screen would cost and at what battery life expense. Even an estimate would be interesting. I know that generally you don't get an option for which screen you want in a device, but it would be interesting if somehow Handspring could componentize the screen and offer both versions. I suppose I'm dreaming in technicolor.
    Originally posted by monkeywithacold
    [SNIP]... it's probably more realistic to realize the emphasis is on efficient and reliable convergence of a surprising number of varied functions, without emphasis on dazzling specs that make it a standout as either a PDA or a cell phone.
    VERY well-said in one sentence! This would be perfect to reuse over and over again everytime this issue came up! If it's not copyrighted I may just use it oh, I don't know, maybe 10 times a day or so.
    Originally posted by silverado

VERY well-said in one sentence! This would be perfect to reuse over and over again everytime this issue came up! If it's not copyrighted I may just use it oh, I don't know, maybe 10 times a day or so.
    LOL! Thanks, be my guest. It certainly took me long enough to get to the point; we may as well make some practical use out of it.