Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Yeah it's pretty massive alright. It's just as big as a sidekick now! Who'd want to lug that around It's still charging.

No doubt it could be around 300% smaller, and those two clips aren't very inspired.

From the label:

Magnadyne Model BHSTR300E15L
    1500mAh 3.7V Li-ion

This is the place http://www.magnadyne.com it has the same logo. Can't find an FCC ID on it, unfortunately. I want to see what's inside
  2.    #42  
    Originally posted by potatoho
    Can't find an FCC ID on it, unfortunately. I want to see what's inside
    A bunch of little men on hamster wheels.
    hmmm, I like your flipless solution. I've always wondered about that. How much would it cost if I had an extra Treo that wanted the same work?
    WOW! Thanks potatoho for the awesoem pics!

Would you mine reporting how much longer battery life you get with the battery sled? Can you actually use you treo no without having to re-charge every day? I might actually consider buying this if it meant your treo could last ~about week w/o charging!
    Originally posted by howensby
    hmmm, I like your flipless solution. I've always wondered about that. How much would it cost if I had an extra Treo that wanted the same work?
    I think there are some threads about cutting the lid off. It was a real pain because you have to cut a whole hunk of stuff off and level it down. Actually came out okay.. except the flat piece I have on there with the uneven edge is just a temporary thing I did a few days ago. It is a battery cover from something I had of the same color which I hastily cut down. Heh, the dremel slipped a bit when I was doing it and made the uneven edge. It's just tacked on there until I decide if I need to have some more stuff on that area, was thinking about adding some switches or something.

Originally I didn't put the speaker back on. That's where the ringtones come from, and also in an emergency if you don't have the handsfree you would be screwed. So I put on a speaker from a $3 headset. Audio isn't loud enough for my taste, and speakerphone can work somewhat if you are in a quiet environment. One problem with the ringtones is that the OS is designed to reduce the volume of ringing when the lid is up, and my lid registers as always up. I'll probably fix that with either an OS patch or I'll replace the ringer with some TreoHelper code.

I like the size factor and the convenience factor of using a lidless Treo. First thing was to put on a screen protector, though it is just a write-right (they suck) for now. The main thing you lose is audio fidelity because of the smaller speaker and the fact that there is no lid which is channeling sound properly to your ear. Makes it harder to hear the other party if you are in a non-quiet environment. I had a call from another person who was also on a Sprint phone. I couldn't understand a word he was saying I then changed the speaker for a different model I had, and it improved somewhat, though the one I had on at first was better looking with a cool grill. Oh well.

In the end it's pretty much a wash. I miss the audio fidelity of the original lid, and the nice loud ringtones. But flipping up the lid 400 times a day was just too aggravating, and the lidless version is so light and compact. Of course now I have the extended battery on it and it's the size of a household cordless phone!
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Would you mine reporting how much longer battery life you get with the battery sled? Can you actually use you treo no without having to re-charge every day? I might actually consider buying this if it meant your treo could last ~about week w/o charging!
    I'm sure my usage will test it to the max

It took a long time to charge just the battery by itself. I started charging at around 5PM and the light turned green at 8:40PM. I was starting to think the instructions were wrong about the light color. It has a red light on the sled and it turns green when charged.

As we suspected, the Treo thinks it's charging ALL THE TIME. So it's been solid green for the past several hours. Kinda dumb I think. They probably could have done a current test or something and stopped trying to charge. The reason this sucks is because it makes it hard to figure out if you are in coverage. I may have to "attempt" at finding the HsIndicatorSequence structures in the OS libraries and patch them; i.e. stop it from doing the solid green sequence. Dunno, sounds like a lot of drudgery and I may not have the energy.

Seriously, this thing makes the Treo 300 into a household cordless phone sized brick. I'm just desperate enough to probably use it though. If it didn't cost so darned much I'd be hacking into it right now to see if I can fit an external antenna and MP3 player in there

I'm in a sort of quick-fix-it mode right now, so that's why I bought it. The "perfect" solution for me would be to replace the internal battery with a >=1500mAh battery. Really not so tough to do, but I don't have the right stuff to do it right now. I need a good belt sander and grinder and some paint and perhaps some of that kydex or other plastic which can be heat molded. You'd have to cut out a rectangle in the Treo case to be able to fit a larger battery, and then cement a plastic molded piece on there or something like that, so you'd wind up with a small swell. It's also possible you could get away with covering the back with some tacked on leather.

Hmm you know I bet you could make a spiffy version by taking an external battery made for another cellphone or PDA, and then tacking it on the back either painted the same or covering it in leather. There's lots to choose from and I'll bet it would look OK if you got one which kinda matched the size and shape of the Treo back, or a portion thereof.

Check out a place like this:
    http://www.ipaqbattery.com/

The iPaq one looks pretty. Or the Jornada internal one which is 3.7V 2000mAh Actually they are kindof expensive on that site. I see lots of ones for other cellphones which might work.

I imagine it would get pretty messy doing something like that. Probably easier to ditch Sprint and get something with better battery life. Ugh, I can't believe I'm saying that, but I'm kinda mad that this update didn't improve much.
    are you sure your not Dr. Potatoho Frankenstein ? your starting to scare me now.

Keep up the good work "Franky" and let us know how it goes!
    Yeah, that's pretty freakin big. potatoho, is that case just a regular Treo case? I can't see how it would fit in mine with that sled on. Thanks for the pics.
    I received my battery the other day and want to add my observations after having used it.

As has been noted, the addition of the battery really adds thickness and bulk to the Treo to the point where it makes it difficult to have a firm grip on the device while making calls. Additionally, where the battery hooks onto the Treo, near the stylus, makes pulling the stylus out somewhat awkward. Also, since the battery has a curved lip that hooks onto the bottom of the Treo, you have limited room to push any of the four function buttons.

Where the battery can be used well, however, is as a charging device for the on-board Treo battery (e.g., hook it on, throw it in your briefcase while flying, have a fully charged Treo when you land, etc.).
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    Yeah, that's pretty freakin big. potatoho, is that case just a regular Treo case? I can't see how it would fit in mine with that sled on. Thanks for the pics.
    It doesn't fit any of my other cases, except it sorta fits a brookstone case which I had cut off the lid. But then my Treo is also lid-less so that probably means that with a lid it would not even fit in that.

The case it comes with it not something I would use. Though maybe I haven't given it a chance. The case itself is high quality but it has one of those swivel clips that makes it kinda stick out too far etc. I dunno, I guess I'll try it for today.

The battery is starting to crap out now. Lemme see, fully charged at 8:40pm last night. Now it's 10:00am and I went to bed at 2:00am, got up a 8am. Agh, confusing. But I'd say I get maybe 8 hours of heavy use with the battery. Didn't use the phone at all

So my thinking is that it's still going to be a charge per day for my usage. Unless something weird was going on at night, like it losing signal for a long time or something. Obviously I need to observe it a bit more. Going to charge it again right now.
    I didn't realize it came with a case. Well I guess that helps. I hope the Sprint stores start to carry them. I'd like to get one, try it out, and if I don't like it, return it without having the hassle of shipping it back. All Handspring had to do was making removable battery packs. They couldn't even fix that with the Treo 600
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    I didn't realize it came with a case. Well I guess that helps. I hope the Sprint stores start to carry them. I'd like to get one, try it out, and if I don't like it, return it without having the hassle of shipping it back. All Handspring had to do was making removable battery packs. They couldn't even fix that with the Treo 600
    Yeah, I hear ya. I look at this sled, which surely doubles the size and weight of the device, and then I look at a Li-Ion battery, which a 1500mAh would add perhaps 1/8" to the thickness of the Treo in a small 2"x2" area. And then I look at my dremel.

But now I'm kinda thinking about how cool it would be to cement an external battery on the back and just drill a small hole for a cable. I gotta check around to see what cheap ones are around.
    You know after looking at those pics, I wish sled could be somehow incorporated into a car mount/holster for the trep. That way you wouldn't have to worry about the car charger and you could just use the sled instead while at the same time using it as a mount? Anyway, just thinking out loud here...
  14.    #54  
    Originally posted by potatoho

It doesn't fit any of my other cases, except it sorta fits a brookstone case which I had cut off the lid. But then my Treo is also lid-less so that probably means that with a lid it would not even fit in that.

The case it comes with it not something I would use. Though maybe I haven't given it a chance. The case itself is high quality but it has one of those swivel clips that makes it kinda stick out too far etc. I dunno, I guess I'll try it for today.
    Between the clip, the case and the battery, you have to get one of those signs they put on 18 wheelers saying "Wide Turns." I can picture bumping into corners with that thing already.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Between the clip, the case and the battery, you have to get one of those signs they put on 18 wheelers saying "Wide Turns." I can picture bumping into corners with that thing already.
    It's too much for me. I think I'm sending mine back. Today I only got half a day out of the combo. It takes like 3 hours to charge the extended battery for some reason.

I dunno, yesterday it seemed cool because I used it for a good 6 hours. The extended battery was dead by morning however. You can tell when it dies because the charging light goes out on the Treo and the voltage starts dropping then.

So in the end I'm charging once a day with the brick, instead of three times a day normally. I don't even talk on the thing. Ugh.

So maybe I'll order a 1500mAh battery and hack my case up a little to fit it. That would almost double the normal capacity and not add much at all to the size+shape. I'd be replacing the internal rather than adding them in parallel. Li-ion batteries scare the crap out of me, being that they can burst into flames etc.

What's ironic is that Handspring was already using 3.7V 1500mAh Li-ion batteries in their Prism series. Why did they not use them in the Treo? Probably another executive decision from J.

http://www.handspringbattery.com/

That's probably what I'll get. But no way I'm paying $49. I see lots of equiv capacity batteries on ebay for like $10, so I'll have to check around.
    A word of caution. Sprint's return department is totally FUBR, at least today. I talked to 6 people, and in the end they told me I had to drive to a store an hour away to get a mailpak. I wrote them an email and I'm going to try again Monday to get a reasonable method of returning the battery.
    There's no reason why they can't ship you a return pack. Last week I ordered a phone from them and it was shipped out before I could cancell it. They told me they were sending a retern pack UPS for me. But I'm still waiting to get it...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123