1.    #1  
    According to GSM World, there are several "classes" of GSM phones. Each class determining the speed and simultaneous data transfer capabilities of the device.

I've heard that the Treo 600 might be considered a Class 10 device (according to the story on TreoCentral)--thus allowing speeds up to 48 kilobits per second (Kb/s). That's all well and good, but there is also another type of "class" for GSM devices: A, B, or C.

Class A mobile phones can be connected to both GPRS and GSM services simultaneously.

Class B mobile phones can be attached to both GPRS and GSM services, using one service at a time. Class B enables making or receiving a voice call, or sending/receiving an SMS during a GPRS connection. During voice calls or SMS, GPRS services are suspended and then resumed automatically after the call or SMS session has ended.

Class C mobile phones are attached to either GPRS or GSM voice service. You need to switch manually between services.

The Treo 270 suspends data communications while a voice call is in progress. Thus it is a Class B device. (I don't know how the Treo 300 behaves since it is CDMA/Sprint.)

Does anyone know if the Treo 600 has been improved to be a Class A device (allowing voice calls and web browsing to occur simultaneously)?
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 06/22/2003 at 12:50 PM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Good question!! I don't have the answer though.
    For me it's not just a good question but "The Question". When I bought my 270, I was expecting it to be as fast as a class 10 (ie. almost equivalent to a good modem) because that is the way GPRS was being promoted by the carriers. Fair enough, HS did specify the correct class for the 270, but in my ignorance I did not understand.

So this time around ....
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

Does anyone know if the Treo 600 has been improved to be a Class A device (allowing voice calls and web browsing to occur simultaneously)?
    I would seriously doubt that. Most of the GPRS enabled mobile phones on sale today run Class B GPRS. Unfortunately headset OEM's don't sufficiently advertise what specific class they use. I would wager we won't see true dual data+voice capabilties until UMTS arrives. Also, CDMA2000 providers probably won't offer this feature until 1xEvDv; however, I'm not certain if CDMA2000 is capable of dual data+voice as WCDMA? Can anyone clarify this?
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

I would seriously doubt that. Most of the GPRS enabled mobile phones on sale today run Class B GPRS. Unfortunately headset OEM's don't sufficiently advertise what specific class they use. I would wager we won't see true dual data+voice capabilties until UMTS arrives. Also, CDMA2000 providers probably won't offer this feature until 1xEvDv; however, I'm not certain if CDMA2000 is capable of dual data+voice as WCDMA? Can anyone clarify this?
    Thanks. Yes, I know it's a long-shot, but one can always hope.

If it does, that would be great, but if it doesn't, we're no worse off. Just wondering.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Also to clarify: according to the front page article on treocentral:

The GSM version is a true world phone, and will support 4 channels up, and 2 channels down (only 5 at once however). I believe that this means it is class 10 GPRS device. It will be able to receive at up to 48 kbps
    The only problem is that AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$'$s$ $no$ $such$ $thing$ $as$ $a$ $Class$ $10$ ($4$+$2$) $gprs$ $device$? From what I understand, Class 10 devices are either:

Class 10 (4+1): 8-12Kbps Send - 32-48Kbps Receive

or

Class 10 (3+2): 16-24Kbps Send - 24-36Kbps Receive

My guess is that since only 5 channels can be used at once, the Treo 600 will actually be the former with (4+1) channels. Can someone with with more expertise than me confirm this? Thanks...
  7.    #7  
    Also to clarify: according to the front page article on treocentral:

The only problem is that AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$'$s$ $no$ $such$ $thing$ $as$ $a$ $Class$ $10$ ($4$+$2$) $gprs$ $device$? From what I understand, Class 10 devices are either:

Class 10 (4+1): 8-12Kbps Send - 32-48Kbps Receive

or

Class 10 (3+2): 16-24Kbps Send - 24-36Kbps Receive

My guess is that since only 5 channels can be used at once, the Treo 600 will actually be the former with (4+1) channels. Can someone with with more expertise than me confirm this? Thanks...
    Actually, the TreoCentral article seems to have it backwards. Instead of "4 channels up, and 2 channels down" shouldn't it be "4 channels down and 2 channels up (only 5 at once however)"?

That would seem to match the criteria for a Class 10 device (4 down, 1 up) for 48kbs. I'm no expert with GPRS, but that's how I read it.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

Actually, the TreoCentral article seems to have it backwards. Instead of "4 channels up, and 2 channels down" shouldn't it be "4 channels down and 2 channels up (only 5 at once however)"?

That would seem to match the criteria for a Class 10 device (4 down, 1 up) for 48kbs. I'm no expert with GPRS, but that's how I read it.
    Yep, good catch on that article error. A Class 10 (4+1) Treo600 would mean that it would have a radio similar to the T|W (w/exception to quad-band), which is pretty decent from what I hear...
  9.    #9  

Yep, good catch on that article error. A Class 10 (4+1) Treo600 would mean that it would have a radio similar to the T|W (w/exception to quad-band), which is pretty decent from what I hear...
    That's all well and good (if it's true), but I'd still love to see Class 10A.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

since I'm doing some research of GSM and GPRS right now I can contribute to this discussion. To my knowledge (provided by a Toshiba web site) there are 29 different GPRS classes. A class 10 device uses 4 channels max for download and 2 channels max for upload while only using 5 channels total at the same time.

In order to calculate the maximum speed that can be used someting called coding shemes (CS) have to be taking into considerations. Those CS range from 1 to 4 and provide some kind of error correction. CS1 does the best error correction and is therefor the slowest while CS4 is the fastest but rather insecure.

In Germany the network provides only implemented CS1 and CS2 while allowing devices to use 4 channels at the same time. Thus, the fastest a device can download information is 53.6 kbps.

The new treo should be able to get up to that speed, I believe.

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Thanks for the explanantion treopolis!

Also, does anyone know which baseband processor Handspring is using for the gsm/gprs Treo600? Many devices like the T|W, TI Wanda reference design etc are using TI's TCS2100. I recall that in the 270 HS used a baseband chip from a Philips foundry and a customized RF chip from Sony packaged with Wavecom’s proprietary software and put together by Solectron. I wonder if they went with TI's chip or some other vender? My strong guess is that they went with with the TCS2100 considering they're using the OMAP 310. This is interesting b/c the TCS2100 supports BT, 802.11, and GPS funtionality...