1.    #1  
    I purchased the Treo 300 back in December. The main attraction, aside from not having to carry both a phone and a PDS, was that I could install AOL and retrieve my mail while away from the home or office. And I've been doing just that with great success.

Last month, the inevitable happened, and my lid broke. I had the phone replaced, and since then AOL has not worked. It tries to connect, it even goes so far as to display the messages "Connected", "Cecking Password", and 'Starting Services..." but then it never logs on. I eventually get a message that reads "Failed to Establish Service."

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling every component. I've spoken with Handango about the issue, and I've spoken with Sprint's phone support several times, with no success.

I've since had the phone replaced a second time, and still no AOL. Sprint has given me the runaround, to the end that I have now been to 6 different stores in my area! Many of these stores had technicians who were completely unfamilar with the product. When I suggested that my replacement phones might have an older version of the firmware and asked them to upgrade it, I was told in one store that they didn't have the right cables (!), and in another store that they didn't have any software to upgrade the phone.

My first question is, has anyone experienced this issue? And does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing the problem and what the solution might be. It's awfully frustrating to have had this working and now be unable to regain the function. (It is even more frustrating that I was conned into getting the insurance and paying the $35 replacement fee to replace what I have since learned is a known defect of the phone, but I intend to rectify that by having a credit applied to my account!)

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I apoligize if I'm rambling here, but I've just been on hold for another 75 minutes with Sprint, and I'm almost on the verge of tears...

David (who cannot WAIT for number portability to take effect in November!!!!)
    Originally posted by David's Treo
    I purchased the Treo 300 back in December. The main attraction, aside from not having to carry both a phone and a PDS, was that I could install AOL and retrieve my mail while away from the home or office. And I've been doing just that with great success.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling every component. I've spoken with Handango about the issue, and I've spoken with Sprint's phone support several times, with no success.

I've since had the phone replaced a second time, and still no AOL. Sprint has given me the runaround, to the end that I have now been to 6 different stores in my area! Many of these stores had technicians who were completely unfamilar with the product. When I suggested that my replacement phones might have an older version of the firmware and asked them to upgrade it, I was told in one store that they didn't have the right cables (!), and in another store that they didn't have any software to upgrade the phone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I apoligize if I'm rambling here, but I've just been on hold for another 75 minutes with Sprint, and I'm almost on the verge of tears...

David (who cannot WAIT for number portability to take effect in November!!!!)
    Hmm, I have no issues w/ aol on handspring. Sprint will have no idea on how to fix this, so sitting on hold waiting for sprint is a useless endeavor. What I might suggest is to try the following:

backup treo, hard reset. And then try surfing around with blazer.

If the blazer works fine, do not disconnect, make sure the arrows are still around on top of the antenna, hotsync up just aol, and re-fill in your login and password fields. Switch to blazer again and surf around some more. Do not disconnect. Switch to aol and try logging in. See if that works.

If it doesn't work, and you've had a huge rash of failures, you might find it useful to actually call AOL member services and get your account verified. Or wait 12 or so hours and try again.

/v
    A hard reset and then rename your Palm Desktop folder so you start a new one. Reinstall your applications individually and give it a try. You may have a corrupted file in the backup somewhere.

...ken
  4.    #4  
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. As it turns out, the new phone had a slightly different OS version (3.5.2, rather than 3.5.1) and that's why the AOL wouldn't load...

After a few calls, I got lucky with a technician at AOL who figured it out. The only annoying thing now is that I probably have to spend ANOTHER $20 to get the new AOL software.....
    I came across a free version of AIM on AOL's British site at http://www.aol.co.uk/links/front/wel...messenger.html for the Palm OS. However when I add people to my buddy list, most of them won't show up as online even when I'm in the middle of a conversation with them. Also, if I exit the program and disconnect from Vision and then start it up again, the buddy list is back to the default Buddies, Family, and Co-Workers and is empty. Has anyone used this client, and if so, experienced this problem? If I can't get it resolved, I'll probably break down and buy AIM or Verichat if they work properly.
    The versions on the UK site are older. There are new versions of AOL and AIM on the Handango site. 1.2 is the version for AIM. They were both released in May I think. Even the link from AOL's site is incorrect. Go to www.handango.com and search on AOL and you'll find the newer versions.
    Originally posted by kschoenberg
    The versions on the UK site are older. There are new versions of AOL and AIM on the Handango site. 1.2 is the version for AIM. They were both released in May I think. Even the link from AOL's site is incorrect. Go to www.handango.com and search on AOL and you'll find the newer versions.
    Thanks for the info, I knew newer verions were around somewhere. I was just hoping someone was offering a newer version for free like with the older version. But then again, leave it to AOL to give away a crappy older version but charge for a version that might really work.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    FWIW - i've had no problems with the older version.

but i'm a cheap *******. i just wont pay for it if it's free.

i'm also principled. AIM is free everywhere, why not for the palm?!!?

peace,
    Tree
    I haven't worked for AOL for a long time, but my guess, at least for AIM for the Palm is that they don't have any space for advertising on it...so they charge. Either that, or people are willing to pay for it...so they charge.

Anyway, the latest version of AIM (1.2) has worked very well on my Treo...which is far better than the older versions.

...ken
    kschoenberg did you actually buy it? $20 for aim? or is it available for download somewhere?
    I actually bought it. I tried Verichat and Chatter and while nice products both required me to open IMs to all users. That just doesn't work for me...as I have a very common IM name that's been used in TV ads...and I get flooded.

The new AIM works well for me. If you need AIM I'd suggest buying it.

...ken
    I'm having the same exact problem that David described above - everything connects, it works fine, and then after a long period of time I get "failure to establish services." I've always known it's a conflict with AOL for Palm, just didn't know what it was. And here's the kicker - I only have problems on my primary screen name. I can try 10 times in a row to connect to my main account wtih no success, and ALWAYS get connected to AOL on ANY of my secondary accounts using the same exact software, connection, phone, etc. Go figure.

Like David, I will be upgrading to AOL 3.0 soon...

CateyBeth
    Hey everyone.

I think that the AOL tech may be mistaken. I use AIM Ver 1.1 Build 5 with wonderful success. I have Palm Ver 3.5.2H6.0 . I think that it may either be a conflicting ap or Vision in your specific area.

My .02 cents.

dave
    Is it possible we're confusing AOL for Palm with AIM for Palm? My problems are with AOL for Palm. I'm an AOL subscriber and use AOL for Palm to connect to email when I'm at lunch, on the road, etc. And I'm having the connection/timeout problems described above and throughout other messages on this board - only on my main screen name. Others connect fine. It's definitely a software or communication problem between AOL and Palm. Incidentally, I am running AOL 3.0 on Palm OS 3.5.2 on my Treo 300.

David, what did the AOL tech tell you? How did you get yours fixed? Do you know if AOL will be doing any fixes for the OS 3.5.2?

And hey - isn't my AOL 3.0 supposed to WORK with 3.5.2???

I'm getting very, very grumpy...
    AOL 3.0 is what I have now, and it's supported to work on Palm OS up to 3.5.1. I need to upgrade to AOL 3.1 since I'm now on Palm OS 3.5.2.

My bad. Hope that clears up any confusion for anyone who wants to help?
    David's Treo ... are you still here?

I recognize the symptoms you're describing, as I went through the very same thing. What I don't remember (duh, grrrr) is how I fixed it. First off, don't go buy more AOL software, as I'm pretty sure that the AOL3.0 for Palm will run just fine on PalmOS3.5.2.

I reentered my aol password. I went to the preferences panel and reentered my sprint name and password on the network panel. I did a soft reset. I experimented with signing via the Network panel and then running aol. I tried having aol run the connection process. I forgot what worked, but the good news, is that once I corrected the problem, it hasn't resurfaced.

Good luck amigo - JP