1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if the 600 will be able to upgrade to the palm os 6 when it comes out?

Are there physical limitations to upgrading OSes or from 5 to 6?

Thanks
    Good question. It will depend on whether the Treo600 has a flashable Rom. Does anyone know about this?
    Last edited by Gaurav; 06/30/2003 at 12:18 AM.
    The official stance is: it should, but no guarantees. Palm Source is trying to make OS 6 backwards compatible, but cannot ensure it. OS 6 is a complete rebuild, not a tweak, so in my view it seems highly unlikely
    Here is a response I received from PalmSource about a week ago via e-mail ... Ignore that date, yikes!

Hi Doug, thanks for writing PalmSource.

Upgradeability is (and will be) up to the individual device manufacturers (Sony, Palm, Handspring, etc). As for OS 6 devices, we expect them to available some time next year.

Regards,
    Steve
    www.palmsource.com

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 3:52 AM
    To: webmaster
    Subject: OS 6

Will current OS 5 devices be upgradable to OS 6? If you could give us an idea of when we can expect the new OS, that would be helpful as well.

Thank you for your time
    the ROM is upgradable though it's highliy doubtful it'll go all the way up to PalmOS 6, but don't take my word for it, take Miradu's instead:Statement about ROM at end of Thread
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    I doubt it will be. As that email stated it is up to the device manufacturers. And they would rather sell you a new device, over a free or cheap upgrade.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    This site lists the specs of the Treo 600 (and other devices) and states that there is no flash memory and thus the OS is not upgradeable. I'm not sure how acurate this will end up being.
    Originally posted by jeeter
    This site lists the specs of the Treo 600 (and other devices) and states that there is no flash memory and thus the OS is not upgradeable. I'm not sure how acurate this will end up being.
    I'd take this site's data with a grain of salt. They also list the screen as 16-bit (65536 colors) and the processor as 175MHz.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    That site is wrong. Refer to our front page article for the specs...

The Treo WILL have flash memory for both the OS and the radio.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by miradu
    That site is wrong. Refer to our front page article for the specs...

The Treo WILL have flash memory for both the OS and the radio.
    so is that all that is needed in order to be upgraded to OS 6? Are they any other factors that would limit its abilitiy to be upgraded.

thanks, im concerned about that because it sounds like os 6 will be a major revision (even rebuild) of the palm os, and id hate to have to upgrade to the treo after the 600 in order to get the latest os and its features.
    Originally posted by craigdts

so is that all that is needed in order to be upgraded to OS 6? Are they any other factors that would limit its abilitiy to be upgraded.

thanks, im concerned about that because it sounds like os 6 will be a major revision (even rebuild) of the palm os, and id hate to have to upgrade to the treo after the 600 in order to get the latest os and its features.
    No Handspring or whoever would actually have to release an OS 6 update to the Treo. I do not see that happening. They would rather you buy a new device.
    Originally posted by Appleman

No Handspring or whoever would actually have to release an OS 6 update to the Treo. I do not see that happening. They would rather you buy a new device.
    I don't know if there are any hardware issues that OS 6 will impose, but if history is any indication, Handspring/Palm will release a new device based on OS 6 and let it sell for a while. Then (after a while) they and/or their distributors will release an update for older devices.

You're right that they will want users to buy a new device. So you can count on the new device being out for quite a while before they'll release an updater.

Personally, I'd even consider paying for an update to OS 6 because it has features that I've been waiting for since OS 3.5 came out...Namely updated databases on the primary applications and a new security model with REAL security and encryption.

Let's hope it lives up to the promise.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by craigdts

PSG has indicated that the T|T (and forthcoming T2) will both be upgradable to OS 6. Considering that these devices both have 4 MB flash, I think its safe to assume that the new OS will have to fit into this amount. Thus if the Treo600 also has this min amount of Flash, I think we can assume it can be upgradeable.

However, I think some of the confusion regarding the upgradeabilty of the Treo600 can be explained by type of processor HS choose, the OMAP 310. This is also used in the Z71, and PSG choose not to use any Flash in this pda. Thus it is a totally non-upgradeable device. I certianly hope, and it appears that HS choose not to follow the same path and did indeed include Flash. The quesiton is how much...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

PSG has indicated that the T|T (and forthcoming T2) will both be upgradable to OS 6. Considering that these devices both have 4 MB flash, I think its safe to assume that the new OS will have to fit into this amount. Thus if the Treo600 also has this min amount of Flash, I think we can assume it can be upgradeable.
    I wouldn't make that assumption. There is a lot more that goes into OS compatibility than free flash ROM. For example, an upgraded Palm IIIx with 4MB of flash cannot handle OS 6.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I wouldn't make that assumption. There is a lot more that goes into OS compatibility than free flash ROM. For example, an upgraded Palm IIIx with 4MB of flash cannot handle OS 6.
    Yeah, but the IIIx is an old dragonball pda, and thus never meant to be upgraded to OS 6. While the T|T and forthcoming T2 have already been stated by PSG to be upgradaeable to OS 6. Of course only ARM based PalmOS pda's w/Flash will be capable of upgradng. Thus, this excludes all OS 4 and prior models like the M sereies, Treo300, as well as certain OS 5 models like the Z71 which do not have flash...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Yeah, but the IIIx is an old dragonball pda, and thus never meant to be upgraded to OS 6. While the T|T and forthcoming T2 have already been stated by PSG to be upgradaeable to OS 6. Of course only ARM based PalmOS pda's w/Flash will be capable of upgradng. Thus, this excludes all OS 4 and prior models like the M sereies, Treo300, as well as certain OS 5 models like the Z71 which do not have flash...
    My point is simply that is not enough to go on. Palm's admitted intent is to make devices upgradable, but since OS 6 is a complete tear-down rebuild nothing can be ensured.
    Hey gfunkmagic, do you have a link to the article or story that states that PSG said the Tungsten would be upgradeable?

I'd like to know the context of the comment, or who made it. Was it in an official capacity or in an interview with a reporter of some sort?
    Originally posted by Appleman
    Hey gfunkmagic, do you have a link to the article or story that states that PSG said the Tungsten would be upgradeable?

I'd like to know the context of the comment, or who made it. Was it in an official capacity or in an interview with a reporter of some sort?
    Hmm...maybe I shouldn't have been so forth-right with my upgrade statement. What I should have said is that "Palmsource" has indicated that the OS 6 upgrade should be compatible with the T|T. I don't think PSG has made any definitive annoucement either way:

Many users of Palm OS 5 devices are asking whether they will be upgrade to OS 6. Palm's Tungsten T and C and Sony's NX series have flash ROM, which means that they potentially could be upgraded, but neither Palm nor Sony has committed to this. Michael Mace, PalmSource's Chief Competitive Officer, weighed in on this issue by saying, "We're designing Palm OS 6 to be upgradable onto Palm OS 5 hardware. In other words, we're looking at the footprint of products like the Palm Tungsten T and we intend to work within those constraints. But responsibility for delivering the upgrade belongs to the hardware manufacturer. Because our licensees tweak the OS for their hardware, we can't just release a blanket upgrade the way you would for a PC. It's up to the licensees to decide if they want to offer an upgrade, so you need to ask them what their plans are."
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/Ru...ing_in_October

Thus, I think we can expect an OS 6 upgrade for the T|T, but this is in no way definitive and totally depends on whether PSG decides to release one. Thus, the Treo600 upgradeability would depend on Handspring. I guess, so many people on various borads began to assume that the T|T was upgradeable that I made the same erronuous assumption! Sorry about that. Even so, I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect an upgrade from PSG for the TT / T2, especially if rumors of the T2 are true. I think it would be increduous if PSG released a new handheld so close to OS 6 release w/o it being upgradeable! I don't think they would be that stupid, but then again you never know...