1.    #1  
    Here's a quote right from phonescoop's coverage of Cebit!

Speaking of Bluetooth, the Handspring engineers specifically left room on the Treo 600 circuit board for a Bluetooth module. It won't be included in initial releases, but Handspring spokesperson Brian Jaquet said there was very strong possibility that an updated version would be released with Bluetooth.
    http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/c.../index.php?p=2

Now does this mean adding BT functionality will be up to individual wireless providers? Please let this be true!!!
    Last edited by Gaurav; 06/21/2003 at 01:04 AM.
    if you look at the OMAP processor design, it does have the ability to add bluetooth and fully supports it.

Maybe Handspring wants to make some more $$$ later on by selling us upgrades.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by jonnysnakes
    if you look at the OMAP processor design, it does have the ability to add bluetooth and fully supports it.

You know, that's a damned good thought! Maybe that's the whole point of the "Treo 600" family concept?! Instead of having to design a completely new smartphone every 6-9 months, maybe Handspring is using the Treo 600 as simply a base design from which they may add/upgrade features in the future?! I would like to see which wireless provider will be 1st to release a BT enabled Treo 600, if ever...
    Originally posted by jonnysnakes
    I tend to think this early demonstration of the 600 was for the sake of wooing the service providers, some of whom might not want to support a device with bt, especially if this same company is selling a wireless pc card for their 2.5G network. The new camera feature has a lot to do with what the service providers want to promote.

BK
  5.    #5  
    Well, almost every wireless provider today, with exception to perhpas nextel, has BT enabled mobiles. I will be very interesting to see what the final specs of the SprintPCS version of the Treo600 will be and how different those specs may be from other providers. I would be sorely disappointed if gsm/gprs versions of the Treo600 had BT while cdma versions did not!