1.    #1  
    Is there any worry about the camera lens that is placed on the backside of a device getting scratched? I've used all of Sprint's camera phones but till now, they've all been on the top of the phone via the flip. I don't know about the rest of you but the backside of my Treo looks like it got sandblasted. It's scratched, pitted, and the ESN is barely readable. Now they stick a camera back there? What about the lens getting scratched and then it's toast, unless replaceable.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or experience with devices that stick the camera in back?
    I'm guessing that there is a mechanical shutter protecting the lens.

If you take a look here: http://www.treocentral.com/content/P...ries/236-1.htm
    it appears that there is a shutter over the lens.

The 7 minute video on CNET again, appears to show a shutter and when he snaps the picture the sound could very easily be that of a mechanical shutter opening and closing.

The photo here:
    http://mobile.burn.com/gallery.jsp?Id=366
    shows a clear picture of the lens, but I suspect that the picture could have been taken with the shutter open.

As you point out, considering the environment that the Treo will be in (pockets, etc.) it seams unimaginable that HS wouldn't engineer in protection for the lens.
    Originally posted by dspires
    The 7 minute video on CNET again, appears to show a shutter and when he snaps the picture the sound could very easily be that of a mechanical shutter opening and closing.
    I'm virtually certain that is a generated sound from the speaker.
    I saw the video too - when the photo was taken, the shutter sound sounded too much like a 35mm camera.

My guess is that the shutter sound that is heard on the video is an audio sample that is triggered when a photo is taken. The Canon Powershot digital camera do this as well (a "fake" shutter sound to let the user know that the camera has taken a picture).
    Darn, KRamsauer beat me to it!
    I don't think it looks like there is a lens cover in those pictures. I think it's just glare from the angle it is at that makes it look covered. I think scratches are going to be a big problem. Can anybody who's seen the actual device confirm if there is a cover or not?
    I am not aware of any digital cameras that actually use a shutter. There is no need to, as a shutter is only there to protect film, and since by the nature of digital there is no film, there is no need for a shutter.

However, most digicam makers include the shutter sound to indicate that a picture has been taken (since we are all too familiar with that sound).
    my olympus has a lens cover that you manually open. it protects the lens
    There is nothing o protect the lens on the Treo. (we asked)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by miradu
    There is nothing o protect the lens on the Treo. (we asked)
    Aren't most of the ones on phones unprotected?
    Hopefully the lens is made out of scratchproof synthetic saphire crystal which is extremely durable and will shatter before it will scratch. Hopefully they did the same thing with the main screen as well.

Synthetic Saphire crystal is what Rolex uses on all their modern watches.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    You have to remember that the back of this treo is rounded, and not as flat as on the 300 (which we all still use and enjoy). The lens probably wouldn't come in contact with a flat surface. This is more of a truly handheld device, and you'll have less need to lay it down to operate.

Bill K.
    Sounds like there is going to be a market for WriteRights for lenses. Maybe somebody could at least design a 'plug' or something that will cover the lens. I'm sure the lens is recessed and wouldn't get scratched if layed on a table, but what about in your pocket (with change, lint, etc...)?
    I don't know about you but the lint alone that builds up inside the headphone jack is a problem...even more so with a camera lens...I would hate to have to blow on the lens to take a picture everytime...what a pain...
    I think you folks are overestimating the impact of minor abrasions and lint on picture quality. Won't be a problem with a camera of this (low) quality.