1.    #1  
    It was clear that Hand's thumboard was quite similar to Rimms early on. So Hand settled with Rimm on a license payment for their keyboard. Is it possible that part of the reason for Hand's innovation in coming up with a different keyboard concept, was to free them from Rimm license obligations on the Treo 600 line?

Also it seems like eventually the other cellphone manufacturers are going to wake up and realize they need to have thumboards in their cellphones. I'm curous if anyone has any opinions about whether Hand may possibly have somehow tried to create patent protection for their new keboard. Regardless of the royalties involved, it would seem like it would be beneficial to Hand to make following in its "handprints" as difficult as possible. This is particularly true if the new Hand thumboard layout somehow avoids the rimm license agreement this time.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I am not convinced that thumbboards and phones go together. The Treo 300 is a PDA that you can also use as a phone. The 600 is the same idea in a smaller form factor. I mean, it looks like a phone, but the thumbboard makes it a PDA.

I bet you can't dial a phone # on the 600 without peeking at the keyboard!
    Originally posted by Iceman6

I think I could, seeing that the number 5 key has a raised dot in it that you could feel with your thumb.
    Originally posted by Iceman6
    I am not convinced that thumbboards and phones go together. The Treo 300 is a PDA that you can also use as a phone. The 600 is the same idea in a smaller form factor. I mean, it looks like a phone, but the thumbboard makes it a PDA.

I beg to differ. I can on the Treo 300 and that has smaller keys and no nub on the 5 key.
    Can too. Always dialed my calls on my T270 Thumboard because I didn't want to dirty my screen.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????