1.    #1  
    Anyone else experiencing a very fast battery drain after the update. I used to get approx. 1.5 hours of usage with data on but now it is dramatically reduced. I had 65% available after talking on the phone for a bit. I fired up verichat and was connected for about 3 to 4 minutes and got the message that my battery was low and I should plug in to charge. I hope it was a fluke. I am charging again and will retest in a bit. Just was wondering if anyone else experienced this.

Thanks.
    My usage is not drastically less than before, but it is less than prior to the update.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Mine's not quite that bad, but noticible.
    Actually, the shortened battery life is a SPCS conspiracy to make us buy the new add-on battery. It's awfully suspicious that SPCS releases the 1.21 update which apparently shortens battery life in the same week that Walter Mossberg of the WSJ indicates that the new add-on battery is available for purchase.
    So is it worth it? I've got it on my desktop and I'm a bit fearful to install.
    Keep in mind that the upgrade itself may be putting a big hit on the battery. (Even if it's plugged in). When you flash chips it generally takes a lot of juice. (A couple extra pins have to go high, etc)

I think it's probably too early to pass judgement. If in 48 hours you have still getting crummy battery life then it's time to ask Sprint for a downgrade.
    Originally posted by enagel
    Actually, the shortened battery life is a SPCS conspiracy to make us buy the new add-on battery. It's awfully suspicious that SPCS releases the 1.21 update which apparently shortens battery life in the same week that Walter Mossberg of the WSJ indicates that the new add-on battery is available for purchase.
    Tell me more ... where is it posted? Who is selling it? Any more info??
    The battery doesn't seem to be offered yet, but I will keep checking the SPCS site.

Thanks!
    I have been doing a little bit more testing and it appears that normal voice use (with no data) also has a noticeable impact on battery life though not as bad as data.

Here's whats going on for me today: I expect to receive two more Treos. One of these will be from Handspring (with 1.21 preloaded, and I expect, the latest hardware). The other is from Sprint ("DHRP" -- who knows what I'll get).

In my (7 Treo, soon to be 9) experience, I have seen two distinct generations of Treos. One of these has a dim greenish screen. The other iteration has a brightly lit easy-to-read screen. The one I currently have seems to be one of the older generation and is a "certified reconditioned" Treo received through the Direct Handset Replacement Program (Sprint's "2 to 4 day replace your defective handset by mail" program).

I am planning on continuing testing with the new Treos minus TreoButton, TreoHelper, Treo300SMS, and Verichat. My goal is to see if there is any different behavior on any of the other Treo handhelds... which leads me to my next question:

Is there any interest in forming an offline ad-hoc testing group?

The goal would be to take some of these discussions to an offline email list where we could be more candid with information like ESN's (since I suspect these relate directly to the age of some of the Treos), as well as organizing/logging some of our individual experiences/observations along with empirical data (such as locations/times/other data)--stuff I don't mind sharing, but I'd like to limit from broadcasting to the world.

If so, please email me (click on "Profile" below and email me from that link) and I'll add your name to a mailing list.

I would also like to add that I get the impression Handspring is definitely interested in this issue. I have not yet seen any "official" interest from Sprint (though there are Sprint employees who are interested). So I don't know how interested Sprint is in solving these problems. Perhaps someone can get Sprint to make an official statement.
  11.    #11  
    My phone is still strugling to keep a charge. It struggled before the upgrade but has gotten much worse after. I took it into the Sprint store today and they ran a HP(?) test on it and it failed. The tech said that it is trying to hard to obtain and maintain a signal and in turn is running down the battery much quicker. (sidenote: I didn't have problems with poor signal or dropped calls) He said it probably always had this issue but maybe the upgrade made it worse. My new phone should be arriving next week. Since the upgrade didn't seem to offer much, I think I will pass on flashing it this time around.
    Here Is Your Answer To Most Of Your Problems With The New 1.21 Upgrade.
    I also upgraded, i know my PRL Rev was 10019 before the upgrade, now it's 10018 after the upgrade ( goto phone menu-options-phone info.)

I Did the following and now i'm back to what it should be 10019, and you still keep the New Updater privilage, if we can really call it that, time will tell.

You can have this PRL Rev(preferred roaming list) reset again to 10019 by calling sprint and mentioning it to them by resetting your PRL to the new 10019, TELL them your signal is WEAK, you might get someone that doesn't know what your talking about, so ask for someone else in tech that knows what your talking about or call back a few times to get someone different, insist that you want it done, i had no problem with them doing it except, the person thought the 10018 was the newest until they double checked, the 10019 is the newest. ( sprint tech direct 1-877-228-2257)

I believe this has something to do with allowing your phone to access new towers. They will tell you to push *2 after you call them just listen while sprint upgrades it by itself.

i think most of you guy's that are having the problems are in the tower signal fringe area's, thus causing turbo battery drain, if you know what i'm talking about.

Most of you guy's were most definitely 10019 before the upgrade, and then the upgrade set you back to 10018.

This is your problem.

P.S. , if you don't have good signal strength to begin with in your area, doing this probally couldn't hurt and could make it alot better, or who knows maybe worse but i doubt it, especially if it allows new towers for you, and maybe say good bye to battery drain.

Take care.
    Last edited by HAPPY$BOBBY$; 06/20/2003 at 07:37 PM.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    Last edited by HAPPY$BOBBY$; 06/20/2003 at 11:48 PM.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).