1.    #1  
    This is a Wired article I found out about from PDA Avenue:
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,59279,00.html

Looks like the Gartner analyst thinks that HS "let the cat out of the bag" on the new Treo early in order to clinch the deal with Palm. He also estimates that of the 330,000 units of 300's shipped, at least 100,000 are still on store shelves.

Maybe they can put a strong spring in the flip top and sell them as mousetraps.
    I don't agree with the guy that wrote the article. If Hand was only releasing the product early in an effort to get Palm to close the deal, then why did the product roll out continue through to the Cebit. The are way early on actively marking the Treo 600 if October is really the date imo. Perhaps there are several possibilities:

1) Maybe Hand is planning on an earlier release of the Treo 600 and the fall dates are simply an attempt to mislead their competition about when the Treo 600 will be ready.

2) Maybe they are hoping the favorable responses on the Treo 600 will help them either in signing up other service providers, or perhaps they are hoping another bidder for Hand may appear based on the product details.

3) The Treo 600 looks well designed for the enterprise market. Perhaps Hand is beating to drums to help Sprint and TMobile to get an earlier start in marketing the Treo 600 to the enterprise market.

4) I read somewhere that Hand felt there was some benefit to getting the independenat software developers on board earlier and that might have been why they were announcing details sooner than one might have expected.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    2) Maybe they are hoping the favorable responses on the Treo 600 will help them either in signing up other service providers, or perhaps they are hoping another bidder for Hand may appear based on the product details.
    I agree with the first part of this one. HS seems to only have nailed down a couple of carriers so I think they are looking for the excitement generated from this announcement to finish the deal. I'm sure the "Best in Show" at CeBit didn't hurt at all!

3) The Treo 600 looks well designed for the enterprise market. Perhaps Hand is beating to drums to help Sprint and TMobile to get an earlier start in marketing the Treo 600 to the enterprise market.
    I agree that the 600 will be a strong enterprise tool, but currently T-Mobile is really pushing the Blackberry. We had a visit from one of their reps and they totally discounted the Treo 270's wireless and email capabilities. The rep didn't know what she was talking about and didn't realize that I was a 270 user until after she finished spouting all of that crap.

4) I read somewhere that Hand felt there was some benefit to getting the independenat software developers on board earlier and that might have been why they were announcing details sooner than one might have expected.
    I definitely believe HS wants this to occur. They have repeatedly said that the 600 will be very different (software wise) depending on who's selling it. They also have layed the foundation for MP3 applications, voice recorders, blue tooth and other stuff to be developed and given developers plenty of time to do it.
    Thanks alot. This is the way this board is supposed to work.

I write a little information down in response to an inital post. Then you layer your insights on top of mine, and I learn a couple of new things along the way. I really like what you were saying about the software developers. There are alot of opportunities for further development on the new system and the quicker Hand can get these guys started on writing the new applications, the farther ahead Hand will be than its competitors.
  5.    #5  
    rv and jeeter:

Someone you know is interested in buying a Treo. What do you tell him or her?

A. There's this fantastic new version to be released this Fall at a "premium" price.

B. You can get a terrrific deal on a Treo 300 right now and its using the same Sprint PCS Vision service, plus you'll have the option of trading up when the 600 comes out, plus if you really need something to provide wireless email and a phone you can have it right now.

What about further development with the 300, is that now ended? If you don't need email services now, why consider the 600?, the camera?, the expansion slot?, the battery?

What about the people who recently bought into the Treo line, will they feel abandoned if they don't plan on purchasing the 600?

I agree that this better mean that they will be shipping the 600 earlier than expected. The feature set is already announced and will not benefit from the effects of ageing a couple of months. And, what if you wanted to wait for the eventual price drop of the 600? Can you stand using the 300 into next year?

Bottom line: you have a glut of inventory (if I'm to believe this analyst) sitting on the shelves, waiting for the release of a new product to serve a new "enterprise" market, which is not assured either. How long can people remain excited about the 600 before interest cools?

I think that camera/phones will be THE hot item this Fall, but it's going to be a race to see who can attract the service providers and gain market penetration.
    Originally posted by wireless-doc
    1) What about further development with the 300, is that now ended? If you don't need email services now, why consider the 600?, the camera?, the expansion slot?, the battery?

2)Bottom line: you have a glut of inventory (if I'm to believe this analyst) sitting on the shelves, waiting for the release of a new product to serve a new "enterprise" market, which is not assured either. How long can people remain excited about the 600 before interest cools?

3)I think that camera/phones will be THE hot item this Fall, but it's going to be a race to see who can attract the service providers and gain market penetration.
    1) Treo 300 line is dead. It only represents a low price point in the shorter term to help expand the market.

2) The inventory is in Sprint's hands, and therefore I don't think it is a huge problem for Hand. Sprint keeps selling the Treo 300 alongside the Treo 600 and eventually the inventory is gone.

3)I don't think it is a race. Hand has a product with no comparable competition. They are way ahead of the pack imo and they have the carrier cooperation in place. Samsung is likely ahead of Kyocera, and Sony Ericssen, but they don't have a product close to the Treo 600 ready for release. They simply don't have the keyboard, which is critical.

Concerning your first question. There are price buyers and quality buyers. The price buyers will get an excellent deal with the Treo 300. The quality buyers will get an unmatched product which will serve them very well.