Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just performed the upgrade to 1.21 this evening and everything went well. I unloaded TC Ringer and ringtones before hand basically leaving me with standard Treo apps onboard . I haven't had a chance to try everything out, but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.
    And how did you affect the upgrade to 1.21? (e.g., where did you get the upgrade from?)
  3.    #3  
    Update can be found on the Handspring Site

HandSpring Updater for Treo 300

I got it from another thread but at 15 pages long, I figured I'd start new so people could find it.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Has anyone else noticed reduced battery life with the firmware update ?
    Originally posted by KKenna
    Has anyone else noticed reduced battery life with the firmware update ?
    Yes, it is significantly reduced when using data.

(crossposted to the original thread)

OK, did another test this evening. I took the Treo, fully charged, off the charger about 5:00 driving up for a meeting. I built up a data session before going into the building. Within 15 minutes, the battery had drained on "notch" and the data connection had dropped. I built it up, again, at 5:30.

With the data connection built (grey arrows) and light data usage (maybe 15 minutes total browsing), the Treo was *completely* dead by 7:30.

There is, perhaps, a slight improvement in throughput (but nothing earthshattering).

I have talked with an application engineer at Sprint who is going to load the new firmware tomorrow and (hopefully) confirm this.

I'm about to mail this to a developer at Handspring.

...er... back to the drawing board
    I wonder if we could get a warning in the article to disable or remove TreoHelper, TreoTools, and hacks before doing the update process. Specifically we've learned that "turn phone on reset" utilities will cause a problem with the firmware updater tool since it tries to do the upgrade right after reset. Someone also had a problem with Treo300SMS during the final hotsync restoration process, though mine worked ok.

If you are caught in a reset loop or whatnot, just hold down pgup during a reset and then go and delete the problematic utility. Then do a soft reset.
    back to the drawing board
    Think I'll skip this upgrade as I have good battery life without it.
    David
    Why did you upgrade? What problem were you trying to solve?
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Thoe original poster (another thread), said it dramatically increased data speeds and reported that the phone in general seemed to move along faster. I can confirm this, but the battery life has definitely suffered.
    Hmm... I usually tend to go for the latest versions and upgrades of everything. But - I have been delighted with my Treo from day 1 - which was around the beginning of the year. Everything works well. I would like better battery life, but have never run out during the day where I could not solve the problem. Faster data speeds would be nice when travelling and using PDANet to connect. But I wonder if I shouldn't just leave well enough alone and not do the upgrade. Other's thoughts? Is there any benefit other than data speed?

And, I find the voice connections and ability to hold a signal excellent - much better than my previous phones. If someone is calling from a land line, the voice quality is outstanding. I'm afraid of giving something up by upgrading.

Looking for a compelling reason to upgrade. Why are others doing so?
    I just went to the link in the above post... and the updater at www.handspring.com is only version 1.0. Did they pull back 1.21... or am I looking in the wrong place?
  12.    #12  
    Update 1.0 program results in Treo Firmware 1.21. I know it doesn't make any sense, but you end up with 1.21. Hope that helps.
    I too did the upgrade....all seems exactly the same to me. The upgrade was very east to do also.....
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Why don't they have a mac version of the updater? wtf?
    Originally posted by dougef
    Hmm... I usually tend to go for the latest versions and upgrades of everything. But - I have been delighted with my Treo from day 1 - which was around the beginning of the year. Everything works well. I would like better battery life, but have never run out during the day where I could not solve the problem. Faster data speeds would be nice when travelling and using PDANet to connect. But I wonder if I shouldn't just leave well enough alone and not do the upgrade. Other's thoughts? Is there any benefit other than data speed?

And, I find the voice connections and ability to hold a signal excellent - much better than my previous phones. If someone is calling from a land line, the voice quality is outstanding. I'm afraid of giving something up by upgrading.

Looking for a compelling reason to upgrade. Why are others doing so?
    I'm not. I agree with you, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have no comlpaints and I typically do upgrade drivers or patches for anything when they come out. But the drain on battery life is a big flag in my view. I won't upgrade until the upgrade offers something significant since I'm happy with my Treo right now.
    Originally posted by longday
    Why don't they have a mac version of the updater? wtf?

Read my post here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...&pagenumber=15
    Originally posted by imageone

Read my post here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...&pagenumber=15
    Thanks imageone, you rock.
    Well I did the upgrade and so far I noticed slightly zippier browsing but also slightly worse battery life. Also, I've experienced one RBOD so far since the upgrade.

One rather annoying problem I've noticed is that Blazer now often fails to connect on the 1st attempt. It fails to automatically intiate a service connection and there is no error message or anything, just the blank screen. If I then try to refreash, then I everything works fine and the intiation process works like normal. But it's irritating that I now have to re-initialize blazer every time I want to make a new vision connection! Anyone else experiencing this problem?
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    One rather annoying problem I've noticed is that Blazer now often fails to connect on the 1st attempt. It fails to automatically intiate a service connection and there is no error message or anything, just the blank screen. If I then try to refreash, then I everything works fine and the intiation process works like normal. But it's irritating that I now have to re-initialize blazer every time I want to make a new vision connection! Anyone else experiencing this problem?
    This seems to be happening to me too, except that I do get an error message. Can't remember what it says, but it didn't happen before the so-called "upgrade."
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Everything seems to be OK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast