Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    looks like the new unit has a lot of nice new features. The two biggest for me are the SD slot and the faster processor...but it's obviously at a cost.

    T300 dimensions:

    4.3" x 2.7" x .7" weighing 5.2oz.

    T600 dimensions:

    4.41" x 2.26" x .87" @ 6oz.

    Looks like they shaved it off the sides and slapped it on the back!! I do like the thought of 'no flip' but thought for sure that it would come in slimmer.
  2. Iceman6's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #2  
    I think it's the bigger battery.
  3. #3  
    Actually of all the things about the Treo300, the thickness was one thing I never thought was a problem. Also, the Treo 600 has been widely described as a bar of soap type form factor. I actually think it being a little thicker and narrower would make the device easier to hold than the Treo 300?! Anyway thats just my opinion from afar and I haven't actually seen the devce yet...
  4. #4  
    After reading this thread about the Samsung i-700, I think Handspring made some pretty wise choices about the dimensions of the 600. They probably were smart to emphasis the phone aspect of the device when planning the 600's size and layout. http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum...threadid=33028
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by finadvsr
    looks like the new unit has a lot of nice new features. The two biggest for me are the SD slot and the faster processor...but it's obviously at a cost.

    T300 dimensions:

    4.3" x 2.7" x .7" weighing 5.2oz.

    T600 dimensions:

    4.41" x 2.26" x .87" @ 6oz.

    Looks like they shaved it off the sides and slapped it on the back!! I do like the thought of 'no flip' but thought for sure that it would come in slimmer.
    These Treo 300 dimensions are incorrect!! Handspring.com says the Treo 300 dimesions are 4.4" x 2.8" x .82" (11.2cm x 7.1cm x 2.1cm). See it here.

    So they only added 0.05" to the thickness! Of course, this is the overall thickness, with the flip unopen. Still, I think this is remarkable for the Treo 600!
  6. #6  
    Seems that it's more like a snickers bar than a hersey bar.
  7. #7  
    (see my "NY Times Article on 600" post for discussion about the form factor)
  8. F1Turbo's Avatar
    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    #8  
    One small negative for me on the new form factor is that the curved back prevents it from easily laying flat. I like to use my 300 this way (laying flat on my desk) next to my computer at work. Watch the CNet video to see what I mean--when he sets it down, it rocks back and forth.
  9.    #9  
    I noticed that 'rocking' feature too in the video. Hey, in a pinch, it could be used to play "spin the phone" instead of the bottle. I can see a nice swirly scratch on the back of mine already.

    An update on the dimensions....I took the originally quoted dimensions off of Sprint's website (go figure, they're incorrect). The length and width are correct, but the thickness is greater than quoted. Meauring mine the thickness is .82", so both Handspring's & Sprint's website have only partially correct dimensions. Having measured the one in my hand, here are the correct specs:

    T300 dimensions:

    4.3" x 2.7" x .82" weighing 5.2oz.

    T600 dimensions:

    4.41" x 2.26" x .87" @ 6oz.


    The narrower width and the rounded back will certainly fit more comfortably in one's hand, but will not sit well on a hard surface for input.
  10. Iceman6's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #10  
    Originally posted by finadvsr
    I can see a nice swirly scratch on the back of mine already.
    You've already been playing "spin the phone"? No fair! The rest of us have to wait!
  11. #11  
    The tradeoff on thickness for me will a case factor. I always carry the Treo in one pocket or another. With the flip cover, I've been able to go without a case and like the size advantage of that and the ease with which I slip it in and out of a pocket. I'm sure I'll feel a need for a case with the flipless 600.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  12. #12  
    Originally posted by Rodolfo
    The tradeoff on thickness for me will a case factor. I always carry the Treo in one pocket or another. With the flip cover, I've been able to go without a case and like the size advantage of that and the ease with which I slip it in and out of a pocket. I'm sure I'll feel a need for a case with the flipless 600.
    Yes, that's the deceptive part. You can't really compare the size of a naked Treo 300 with a naked Treo 600, since a Treo 300 can be carried along naked, but carrying a Treo 600 naked leaves the screen exposed. That said, I already carry my Treo 300 in a pocket all to itself because I don't want to scuff up the cheapo painted plastic (and yet, even in an empty pocket it has managed to get scuffed up - go figure). With a pocket all to itself, the Treo 600 might do OK with just some sort of screen overlay.

    Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  13. Iceman6's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #13  
    After I figured out what my stylus was doing to my Kyo 6035's screen, I put screen protector film over it. I think this is OK for protecting it from damage.
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Yes, that's the deceptive part. You can't really compare the size of a naked Treo 300 with a naked Treo 600, since a Treo 300 can be carried along naked, but carrying a Treo 600 naked leaves the screen exposed. That said, I already carry my Treo 300 in a pocket all to itself because I don't want to scuff up the cheapo painted plastic (and yet, even in an empty pocket it has managed to get scuffed up - go figure). With a pocket all to itself, the Treo 600 might do OK with just some sort of screen overlay.

    Scott
    Hey, that's something that hasn't been discussed yet. Does the Treo 600 have that cheap paint job the 300 has?
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by Predator-1
    Hey, that's something that hasn't been discussed yet. Does the Treo 600 have that cheap paint job the 300 has?
    They claim that build quality has been improved, but we'll have to wait and see to know for sure. Close up pics of the "prototype" dark gray model looked suspect, but I'm guessing that's a limited production prototype and release models would be better. The "official" silvery model looks more polished (no pun intended).

    Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by finadvsr
    Having measured the one in my hand, here are the correct specs:

    T300 dimensions:

    4.3" x 2.7" x .82" weighing 5.2oz.

    T600 dimensions:

    4.41" x 2.26" x .87" @ 6oz.
    So based on this the 600 is .84 cu in smaller than the 300 ... Works for me
  17. #17  
    Originally posted by Scott R
    They claim that build quality has been improved, but we'll have to wait and see to know for sure. Close up pics of the "prototype" dark gray model looked suspect, but I'm guessing that's a limited production prototype and release models would be better. The "official" silvery model looks more polished (no pun intended).

    Scott
    Why does it not look like quality? I mean how can you tell from a photo?
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Why does it not look like quality? I mean how can you tell from a photo?
    To be sure, even the supposed "prototype" looks better than my Treo 300 in terms of the look of the plastic, but something about it still looked slightly cheap. I think it's the "sparkly" color which would be perfectly normal if it was metal, but I suspect that it's not, which means that the "sparklies" could be part of a paint job. The "release version" silvery model also has the sparklies, but looks a bit more "finished" to me. As you said though, you can't really tell from a photograph.

    Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.

Posting Permissions