1.    #1  
    Maybe some of you Treo 300 users can help. I just bought a Treo 300 from Amazon for $233 after rebates ($199 for phone and $36 activision cost). From your experience using the Treo 300 and from what you have heard about the Treo 600, should I return this phone (it arrived today) and buy the 600 for the $400-$500 price tag. What's your opinion? Thank you.
    Originally posted by SportsWall
    Maybe some of you Treo 300 users can help. I just bought a Treo 300 from Amazon for $233 after rebates ($199 for phone and $36 activision cost). From your experience using the Treo 300 and from what you have heard about the Treo 600, should I return this phone (it arrived today) and buy the 600 for the $400-$500 price tag. What's your opinion? Thank you.
    Depends if you are willing to wait until December to get a smartphone.
    I am constantly asked by technologically challenged friends and colleagues the following:

What make/model/type of (computer/PDA/phone...) should I buy?

My standard answer is :

Next year's model.

The fact of the matter is that whatever you buy today will be replaced by something faster/better/smaller/whiter/brighter soon at half the price. Once you accept that fact, you can then just buy what you need, 'freeze' the technology, and just accept the value and utility of what you have. If you wait for the next best thing, you'll never have today's useful tool.
  4.    #4  
    December? I thought it was the fall. I would think October, (I hope). But overall, what's a better value 300 for $235, or 600 for $400?

Does anyone think the 300 is actually better than the 600? I know it's hard to tell right now, but any educated guess is grateful.
    For whatever its worth, the Handspring employee I spoke to this afternoon in their parking lot said October.
    Just my prediction. I don't think you'll see it on time. And if the demand is big (who knows? we may get lucky here) shipping could be a pain. Anyone remember the Visor snafu?
    December? I thought it was the fall. I would think October, (I hope). But overall, what's a better value 300 for $235, or 600 for $400?

Does anyone think the 300 is actually better than the 600? I know it's hard to tell right now, but any educated guess is grateful.
    I don't think anyone would argue that the Treo300 is better than the 600. A few things like the flip cover, wider thumboard might be preferble, but overall, the 600 is light years ahead. Also, I agree that we will probably see the Treo 600 by october-november this year. But that is still at least 4 months away. If you can wait that long, then fine, but I personally could not go w/o a mobile or pda for that long a period. Another option would be to get the Treo 300 and sign up for Sprint's warranty replacement program and then have your Treo accidently "break" somehow. Hopefully you will be able to replace it with the Treo 600 by then...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Another option would be to get the Treo 300 and sign up for Sprint's warranty replacement program and then have your Treo accidently "break" somehow. Hopefully you will be able to replace it with the Treo 600 by then...
    First, they probably wouldn't replace it with a 600. Second, that is completely unethical and equivalent to stealing. Third, don't respond "I was just joking" because people have done it before and will continue to do it.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    First, they probably wouldn't replace it with a 600. Second, that is completely unethical and equivalent to stealing. Third, don't respond "I was just joking" because people have done it before and will continue to do it.
    Nice to hear someone say that!

Honor seems to be a forgotten word these days.
    I would absolutely buy the treo 300 today, if for no other reason than to be able to familiarize yourself with it. Not to mention that when the Treo 600 comes out you will be able to get a discount from Handspring through their upgrade plan, and you will be able to sell the 300 on ebay for close to what you paid for it.

I have a Treo 300 and it works so well that it makes me feel like the Maytag Man. I keep waiting for it to traumatize me with drama like the piece of garbage Compaq iPaq I got after my Palm5, but it just keeps going with no challenges.

And then you have to ask yourself, what if I die tomorrow or next week? Putting off stuff is a bad habit that feeds on itself. If you want to go swimming, jump in and swim!!! You could spend the rest of your life standing at the edge of the pool sticking your foot in the water every 30 seconds to see if it is warm enough. Just jump in!!!

For whatever it is worth, if I lost my treo tomorow, I would go out and get a new 300 because it is such a cool and powerfull tool.
    I would not return it, but what does your wallet say. Are you comfortable paying for a phone that you spent $233 for and will only use it for lets say 6 months (probably shorter).

Sure you will prooably get a discount from handspring, but that may only be $50-$100.

If handspring holds true to previous rebayes, you will get to keep the 300 and give it/sell it to someone/use it as a backup.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Obviously keep the treo 300, even though the 600 is supposed to be out by fall, you know how release dates are... also when it finally does come out, its possible for the initial release to have defects which means you may want to hold onto your 300 for a short while even after the rush buys all the 600's and check the feedback.
    If the treo 600 build quality and design has anything even slightly similiar to that of the 180... I would stay away from it for at least 6 months to a year until it has "proven" itself.

Of course, I must include the disclaimer that I'm now on my 5th 180 with no hope in sight. I attempted to purchase the extended warrenty... and wouldn't you know it, you CAN'T ANYMORE. Additionally, T-mobile will not allow you to purchase a warrenty program for the treo. So with days left in this final replacements 90 day warrenty I find myself waiting for the next and final, inevitable failure.

At said time I will finally be through with Handspring and OUT the significant initial purchase cost.

Live and learn...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

I don't think anyone would argue that the Treo300 is better than the 600.
    With all due respect, let me add an alternative view to your assumption. You can get your work done easier and more conveniently right now, with a modest investment in a Treo 300. If you don't have a need for wireless email or web text searching, then you can wait, but then why are you looking at the Treo line anyway? If you just want the latest and greatest, you're stuck in a churn cycle.

I recently talked with a medical researcher who switched from a Clie to the Treo. The "best" device is the one that gets what YOU need to get done. Thank goodness choices are available, both in price and feature set.

I think there should be more discussion about applications for the Treo, and less about hardware specs. A good tool is one that you don't even think about, you just use it. If my work changes or I get involved in another project area, I might wind buying a pocket pc.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    Treo 270 early adopters are probably watching these threads with a smile. I am one of them and I am already on my 4th replacement Treo as my warranty expired this month!

Sooo, my advice is that keep your Treo 300 that you purchased from Amazon.com and enjoy it while waiting for this new model. At the least, as mentioned above, you can keep it as a back up because I believe you will need it. I've been buying Handspring devices since the Visor deluxe and I have yet to have one that I did not return for replacement.

But you know what, when the T600 comes out, I will definitely be in the front line again because I find them very effective in what I do and I simply like 'em very much.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????