1.    #1  
    In today's WSJ, Walter Mossberg's Q&A column indicates that SPCS now has available for purchase the snap-on battery for the Treo which he indicates provides four extra hours of talk time.

The price for the battery is $89.99 and he indicates it can be purchased by calling 800-974-2221.
  2.    #2  
    As a follow-up to my post, I called SPCS to order the battery and was told that they have never heard of it. In turn, I sent off an email to Walter Mossberg asking what gives.

If anyone is able to order one from SPCS, I'd appreciate knowing how you did it.
    I found an old article of his from last December where he talks about how they might release a battery. I'm not a member of the WSJ so i can't see any articles from today. Can anyone provide a link or more info on this external battery?
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    I found an old article of his from last December where he talks about how they might release a battery. I'm not a member of the WSJ so i can't see any articles from today. Can anyone provide a link or more info on this external battery?
    That is all the info in the article.
    Hmm interesting! Here's the link..

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/mailbox-20030619.html

I'd be very interested to see the shape and dimensions of this thing. 4 extra hours of battery life. If it is attractive and is built to not make the Treo taller, then I may have to get one. The shape is also important, because if it has extra space maybe I can embed some stuff in it.
    I remember reading a thread from a while back about a rumor that it would be no wider than the Treo itself and hang down about 3/8 of an inch. if that's all it is, I'll grab one in a heartbeat.
    I just called that number and ordered one. Cost was $101.xx delivered, so should be here in a few days. I'm a bit worried about buying something so expensive, sight unseen, but I'm starting to get serious about ditching my land line and as you know ~ 2 hrs of talk time between charges won't do it.

When I get it I'll take some pictures etc.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by potatoho
    I just called that number and ordered one. Cost was $101.xx delivered, so should be here in a few days. I'm a bit worried about buying something so expensive, sight unseen, but I'm starting to get serious about ditching my land line and as you know ~ 2 hrs of talk time between charges won't do it.

When I get it I'll take some pictures etc.
    I'm interested in knowing how you were able to order one as the SPCS rep. I spoke with was clueless when I called them the other day. Thanks
    Originally posted by enagel
    I'm interested in knowing how you were able to order one as the SPCS rep. I spoke with was clueless when I called them the other day. Thanks
    Dunno. I called that number, pushed 2 or something for accessories, and said I'd like to order the extended battery for the Treo 300. She checked if they were available and took my order*. I asked to make sure it was the right thing, she said it clipped on and gave 4 hours extra talk time and 7 extra days standby.

* Of course the obligatory Sprint long distance signup shpeel.

I was thinking of you guys, a little, and was going to ask for a part number. But I didn't want to ask any more questions because my order was all good to go, and I didn't want anything to mess it up

I actually get the feeling that it is going to be a big ole sled or something. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. There's also the possibility that it will act like the Treo is charging all the time, i.e. light is either solid red or solid green, and I'd kinda miss the blinking signal indicator.

In the end though. Even if it is a sled, it's still kinda worth it if I don't have to carry a separate emergency charger. Mossberg should really get a camera or something.
  10.    #10  
    I called and this time got a rep. that apparently knew what was going on so I ordered one. I will also be interested in seeing what the battery adds relative to thickness and weight.
    The SPCS rep was clueless when I called too. I had to call the Sprint Accessories hotline or something, they knew what I was talking about. I'm waiting to see how big it is before I pick one up.
    Originally posted by potatoho

Dunno. I called that number, pushed 2 or something for accessories, and said I'd like to order the extended battery for the Treo 300. She checked if they were available and took my order*. I asked to make sure it was the right thing, she said it clipped on and gave 4 hours extra talk time and 7 extra days standby.

* Of course the obligatory Sprint long distance signup shpeel.

I was thinking of you guys, a little, and was going to ask for a part number. But I didn't want to ask any more questions because my order was all good to go, and I didn't want anything to mess it up

I actually get the feeling that it is going to be a big ole sled or something. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. There's also the possibility that it will act like the Treo is charging all the time, i.e. light is either solid red or solid green, and I'd kinda miss the blinking signal indicator.

In the end though. Even if it is a sled, it's still kinda worth it if I don't have to carry a separate emergency charger. Mossberg should really get a camera or something.
    Shoot, there are a few around the office, I shoud've taken a pic and posted it. Yeah, it's a big old sled, damn thick too. I wouldn't be caught dead in public with it on my Treo. I understand most of the thick size is some sort of aircushion so you don't feel the heat. It's not that heavy, just thick. It clips on the bottom with two little, arm like hinges that reach from behind to the front of the Treo. The arms go over about where the two top screws are on the back. It has a pass through port on the bottom so you can charge the whole brick or use the hot sync cable while it's on. The nice thing is that it will charge your internal battery when it's on. That way if you're on a plane, just clip it on, toss it in your bag, and when you land pop it off and use your fully charged Treo.

I'll see if I can find one around the office and post a pick for you.
    Originally posted by howensby
    I'll see if I can find one around the office and post a pick for you.
    That would be really helpful. Thanks.
    I would think good and hard before you dish out 90 bucks or 100.- with shipping for this thing unless you absolutely need it Now.

Most of you guy's will be upgrading to the t-600 as soon as it comes out ( you won't be able to resist, i sense most of us are gadget freaks). Just be a little patience, time flies, enjoy your t-300 as-is for the remainder of it's few day's left and you'll save yourself a 100 bucks, 1/5 to 1/4 the cost of your new t-600, i could be wrong but i think you will be Glad you did!

Take care.
    Last edited by HAPPY$BOBBY$; 06/20/2003 at 04:37 PM.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    I've been there before, with waiting for a new product. It's not worth the aggravation. I remember waiting for the Hiptop and that sucker was delayed for a whole year from the time of a definite release date -- which was already a year delayed from a rumored release date.

I think I'm probably going to be more upset about the sheer size of the extended battery than the high cost though.

* anxiously awaiting howensby's pictures *
    Originally posted by HAPPY$BOBBY$
    I would think good and hard before you dish out 90 bucks or 100.- with shipping for this thing unless you absolutely need it Now.

Most of you guy's will be upgrading to the t-600 as soon as it comes out ( you won't be able to resist, i sense most of us are gadget freaks). Just be a little patience, time flies, enjoy your t-300 as-is for the remainder of it's few day's left and you'll save yourself a 100 bucks, 1/5 to 1/4 the cost of your new t-600, i could be wrong but i think you will be Glad you did!

Take care.
    I was under the impression that the Treo600 would use the same connector as the Treo300. Thus shouldn't this extended battery be compatible with the T600 when it comes out? Otherwise, there is no way I'm gonna shell out >$100 bucks for this thing. It is precisely worrisome details like these that has prevented me from investing too much into accessories for the Treo 300...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

I was under the impression that the Treo600 would use the same connector as the Treo300. Thus shouldn't this extended battery be compatible with the T600 when it comes out? Otherwise, there is no way I'm gonna shell out >$100 bucks for this thing. It is precisely worrisome details like these that has prevented me from investing too much into accessories for the Treo 300...
    Two thoughts. The 600's shape differs dramatically. So that would be a negative (likely to not fit). However, the delay in getting the battery sled out might have given then enough to time to get a final 600 and make sure it works. So that would bode well for them being compatible. Bottom line: who knows?
    I guess I must be incredibly dense. I just don't understand why all of you are so interested in this extended battery - considering the size and cost. During the day, when away from my home office and the AC charger, I have two options. In the car, I can use the car charger. In my briefcase, I keep the battery charger I bought on Ebay. Cost me $12 including shipping. Runs on AA batteries. I can get two or three full charges on one set of batteries. I keep an extra set in my briefcase as well and you can buy AA batteries just about anyplace in the world. While these options don't fit on the Treo like the $100 battery extender does, they are cheaper and have solved the problem for me.
    edited to delete - in wrong thread.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    I'm *hoping* that the battery pack I just ordered is custom fit to the Treo 300. There are tons of generic Treo battery packs, I have 3 myself. Actually I think so far this is the only one which has a lithium polymer battery. My others all use AA or AAA batteries (though I have one with a hand crank ) and even though that seems smart, they don't work worth a damn with rechargeable batteries.. and when I try to charge simultaneous with using the phone I often get that nasty low voltage fatal exception.