1.    #1  
    After reading the CNET article and watching the accompanying video, it sounds like the 600 is being marketed to as many service providers as possible. Specifically, the video mentions that the 600 is compatible on both Sprint and Verizon networks.

I found it interesting that Hspring has set it self up to customize the product for any provider's requirements - Sounds like the "Treo Family" will find it's niche as the premier smart phone for any and all providers.

When the Treo line first came out I got the impression that Sprint was contractually the sole provider, at least for the CDMA version. I guess that was not the case.

Any insight from anyone more in the know?
    Originally posted by bosox
    When the Treo line first came out I got the impression that Sprint was contractually the sole provider, at least for the CDMA version. I guess that was not the case.
    That was only the case for the 300. And that was only for a limited time.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    Except for the CNET article and video, all articles seem to presume that Sprint will get the CDMA and Orange gets the GSM.

Stickman posted that Verizon compatiblity will come sometime after the release.

Is it safe to assume, that the 600 Family will be available from all providers?
    Bosox, sorry about 86. :-)

It doesn't look like Handspring is tied to just one carrier for the cdma version anymore.

It looks like Handspring will release (at least in the USA) the GSM vesion b4 the carriers jump on board, maybe they are miffed that they took so long to approve the gprs update.

But, someone just bosted that the gwm version will be available for the 3 gsm carriers about 1-2 months after the sprint launch.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Will anyone even want the GSM version? I for one am looking forward to switching from T-mobile to Sprint just so I can get the unlimited data for $10/mo. Who would want to pay more per month for GPRS unless you are in an area that Sprint does not cover?

Bob
    Originally posted by Bob-C
    Will anyone even want the GSM version? I for one am looking forward to switching from T-mobile to Sprint just so I can get the unlimited data for $10/mo. Who would want to pay more per month for GPRS unless you are in an area that Sprint does not cover?

Bob
    1. unlimited on T-Mobile is now $19.96 per month (not $10 but not bad)

2. SMS send and receive

3. World coverage
    Originally posted by Felipe
    Hey now, salt and wounds don't mix.
    Originally posted by Bob-C

Bob
    Sprint's unlimited Vision is now $15/month, not $10. On more expensive plans though (I think $100+), it comes included free.
    Originally posted by jaytee

1. unlimited on T-Mobile is now $19.96 per month (not $10 but not bad)

2. SMS send and receive

3. World coverage
    Absolutely! I would try VERY hard to stick with T-Mobile and not switch to Sprint. World coverage is essential to me. I have my 270 with me and I pop in a local SIM card everywhere I go. That's why I want the unlocked GSM version. I'm just a little worried a little that we would not get the best software in those unlocked phones, and who will be giving us software updates. Of course there is global roaming too from T-Mobile, but that gets expensive.
    Originally posted by silverado

Absolutely! I would try VERY hard to stick with T-Mobile and not switch to Sprint. World coverage is essential to me. I have my 270 with me and I pop in a local SIM card everywhere I go. That's why I want the unlocked GSM version. I'm just a little worried a little that we would not get the best software in those unlocked phones, and who will be giving us software updates. Of course there is global roaming too from T-Mobile, but that gets expensive.
    I also agree that world coverage is the biggest plus for me. But, in my area, T-Mobile's coverage is not the best, but I'm hoping it will only get better.

But, with T-Mobile you do get 'global SMS roaming' for free. Which is very nice
  11.    #11  
    Felipe - I've made my peace with Buckner and Schiraldi (twitch, twitch)...

If memory serves, didn't all the previous Treo's come out well before their announced release dates? If so, then I would think Sprint would be releasing at the end of the summer and the rest of the carriers in the early fall.

This early tease of the 600 is pretty slick on the part of Hspring and one would think the positive buzz it has created will force an earlier release than announced. I figure that anyone looking to upgrade or purchase their first "hybrid" phone will now be waiting until they can get the 600. This should slow down high end cell phone purchases, and maybe even PDA purchases.

Just thinking...
    To me, the GSM version, unlocked directly from Handspring, could be made available before anything else. You would pay a premium instead of signing up with a carrier and your phone would technically be unsupported on the network though (no big deal, it still works flawlessly).

The carriers slow the entire process down. Right now I bet the Treo is nearly complete, and could be released in July. However, they have there certain deal with Sprint and Orange, and how they want to market it, and how to customize it, package it etc.

In regards to Silverado, what sort of carrier software updates are you expecting that you couldn't just download on your own?
    Originally posted by Appleman
    In regards to Silverado, what sort of carrier software updates are you expecting that you couldn't just download on your own?
    My concern is about whether HS would pay enough attention to making software updates available for the unlocked versions. With their focus on the carriers and their attempt to get out of the retail space, I'm a little worried that the owners of the unsponsored version would be at the bottom of the list of piorities.

The same goes for the initial software suite that ships on the device. Versions that are customized for a carrier might have cool software utilities that are not made available in the generic version. Also, there is talk about improving the "out-of-box experience", I wonder how much of that the generic version will have compared to carrier-sponsored versions.
    Last edited by silverado; 06/23/2003 at 04:06 AM.
    I guess that could happen. I am thinking that the updates might just save money. For instance, the Treo might come with Snappermail. And therefore updates to Snappermail could be delivered to the Treo over the network from the carrier. If you weren't partnered with a carrier offering this service, you would have to get the update on your own, and possibly pay for it.