1.    #1  
    Last edited by HAPPY$BOBBY$; 06/20/2003 at 12:24 PM.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    I would recommend that you actually send this to Handspring instead of posting it here.
    Latest moBlog shot:
    Well, I'm pretty sure handspring, palm, microsoft, sony, etc. all check this board regularly -- free market research, why wouldn't you. However, HappyBobby, dispite your passionate plea, the chances of HS changing their design at this point are zero, nada, zilch. The decision has been made and the FINAL ANSWER is 160x160.

Have you noticed though, the difficulty Microsoft has had making inroads into the phone market? MHO, is that their bloated, power-hogging OS and required hi-res screens are what are really holding them back. In the final analysis, if you want a high resolution screen on your device, get any one of the great PDA(only) devices currently available on the market.

However when it comes to phones, you don't want a phone that will go dead in one or two conversations!! You want something with staying power -- and unfortunately, that requires that the screen be low-res (for now). As has been indicated, the Treo 600 is a model line, so there may be a future model that is extremely high end (ala $800 w/ hi-res, BT, etc.).
    go.digital
    I'd like to suggest that you read the CNET story. Here's what Handspring's Director of Handheld Products said to them in an interview "According to Shirai, the company could eventually come out with an entire family of models based on the Treo 600, for instance, low-end models with fewer features or higher-end versions with improved multimedia capabilities..."
    So, there will probably be higher end 600s with the high rez screen that so many are looking for.
    As for delaying the thing even more...NO-PLEASE.
    Their website already says that it won't ship until "late fall". That means December, probably, just in time for Xmas. Thats six months away. There are a hell of alot of us out here who want one of these things ASAP.
    I'll probably be crucified for saying this, by the 160X160 screen'll be fine for me. I just want to get one.
    Having looked at my Treo, thought about what hi-res brings, and considered the photos being widely circulated of the 600, I too think the hi-res issue is not all that important. What would be of more import would be a screen I can read outside and an overall experience that is snappy and long-lasting. Removing 3/4 of the rendering and increasing battery life are no doubt going to help in this regard.

Obviously I reserve judgement until I actually see one, but right now, if someone were to offer me a Treo 600 for $500 bucks I'd run to the ATM and walk off with a Treo 600.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I agree too, that the 160x160 will not kill the product.

Looking at the pics I have now on my Treo 300 used with caller ID, they look great. Sure they'd look better with 320x320, but I'm happy with the way it is now, especially if the battery power would go faster with higher rez.
    Speak for thyself HappyBobby...

according to a post by "ed" on brighthand, handspring considered it but could not make the hi-res screen work in the size of device they were trying to make.

BTW, how many treos were returned because of lack of stand by time vs a low res screen?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Obviously I reserve judgement until I actually see one, but right now, if someone were to offer me a Treo 600 for $500 bucks I'd run to the ATM and walk off with a Treo 600.
    I agree.
    I'll trade high res for 160 X 160 and 5 to 6 hours of talk time and 2 days of stand by. HEY if I want high res I open my PowerBook G4. I think the 600 rocks!
    Originally posted by imageone

I agree.
    I'll trade high res for 160 X 160 and 5 to 6 hours of talk time and 2 days of stand by. HEY if I want high res I open my PowerBook G4. I think the 600 rocks!
    On this regard, do you guys remember the stand-by time for treo with wireless mode off? It's like a week I think... so cell phones take a lot of power. someone on another thread compared treo to a clie... but the 2 aren't comparable... the power requirements are not even close to the same.