Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

One reason I stayed away from the Samsung I-330 is the lack of a cover for the touch screen (and it is rather tall).

Anybody concerned about the lack of a flip cover on the Treo 600? One positive is the flimsy lid on the Treo 300 is gone. But how about scratching the display while in one's front pants pocket?

Any thoughts?

Cheers.
    I for one hate the cover on my treo 300. It makes the phone too big and bulky when opened.

I use a belt clip so scatches or accidental dialing will not be an issue.

My wish for the 2nd generation treo had always been - NO COVER! My wish has come true.
    It allows it to be thinner. I hope someone will make a case where the keyboard is exposed all the time but has a see-through removable cover for the screen.
    Good point about the keyboard. It's so inconvenient to have to flip a lid to be able to use the keyboard. It makes you have to work too hard to do anything useful, such as delete an email or jot something down real quick.

For example, I would get an IM so I'd have to open the flip and type a response. But then I'd have to stand there and wait with the flip up while it sends, instead of just being able to put it back on my belt. So I'd always be laying it down on a table or something while in IM chat, and that made it a heck of a lot more likely for it to get lost or knocked to the floor.
    No cover for me. extra work that's unnecessary and another thing to break. With grafitti, each time you have to do extra work by clicking an icon to bring up graffiti in order to input text, whereas the kybd is right there in front of you.
    If I remember correctly -- in another thread, someone mentioned that Sprint replaced a boat-load of Treo 300's because the flip broke and they requested (emphatically) that the flip be nixed for the next version.
    go.digital
    Originally posted by dulan
    If I remember correctly -- in another thread, someone mentioned that Sprint replaced a boat-load of Treo 300's because the flip broke and they requested (emphatically) that the flip be nixed for the next version.
    That's correct; perhaps a stronger flip-hinge could have solved the problem, but Sprint was very adamant about getting rid of the flip altogether, and at the time they were Handspring's only real carrier, so I can see why they did it.

Also of note, Handspring is saying that of the several hundred pre-production models they've been testing, not one of them has picked up any scratches or scuffs. Obviously, that's gotta be a bit inflated, but perhaps they used a different type of material for the screen that can hold up a bit better? It's always possible...
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV
    Also of note, Handspring is saying that of the several hundred pre-production models they've been testing, not one of them has picked up any scratches or scuffs. Obviously, that's gotta be a bit inflated.
    My first thought upon hearing that wasn't of inflated claims but rather "Why the heck couldn't I have been one of the 'hundreds'?"
    I agree with all the prior posts. I initially thought that no flip lid was bad, but thinking it through, I'm actually glad it doesn't have one. I'm getting this puppy as soon as it becomes available.

Does this remind anyone like the first time they saw pictures of the Treo and couldn't wait to get their hands on it? It does for me

Originally posted by KRamsauer
    My first thought upon hearing that wasn't of inflated claims but rather "Why the heck couldn't I have been one of the 'hundreds'?"
    My sentiments exactly.......
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    My first thought was "how the heck was it kept a secret with hundreds of people using it?" It's a mobile phone, so people take it all over with them. How could it be tested for any period of time by hundreds of people without it being noticed and news about it leaked?
    I'll get a brando to protect the screen.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I'm a bit concerned about the lack of a cover. This is not a 'standard' cell phone without a touch screen. I would assume that by the very nature of the digitizer that the screen must be a bit thinner and likely more fragile. While a few scratches on your Nokia phone screen are no big deal, I would not want this on my Treo. I still remember using WriteRights on my old Palm III and Visor screens, and also remember breaking a few. In fact, for as long as Palm and HS sold extended warranties with screen replacement, I have bought one, and got my money's worth. Now, even HS won't sell an extended warranty on its Treos, and Cingular's chosen insurer (LockLine) won't insure Treos. For those of us who put our Treos into a pocket or purse without a case, there is likely some trouble brewing. It will be important to get your T600 from a vendor who will provide insurance against breakage.
    How could it be tested for any period of time by hundreds of people without it being noticed and news about it leaked?
    Handspring has had a history ever since the Visor of having their entire staff do inhouse beta testing. Hence it isn't that hard to get a 200-300 people testing a new device, and keep it secret since people don't want to lose their jobs for leaking info.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by silverado

My first thought was "how the heck was it kept a secret with hundreds of people using it?" It's a mobile phone, so people take it all over with them. How could it be tested for any period of time by hundreds of people without it being noticed and news about it leaked?
    I don't know. The same thing happened back with the VisorPhone (a much more innovative product if you ask me). There were stories of people getting odd stares when they held their PDA up to their ear and spoke into it. Good question, though.
    Originally posted by jposin
    It will be important to get your T600 from a vendor who will provide insurance against breakage.
    If indeed the product is vulnerable to these types of breakages, the trend will continue and no coverage will be offered (or it will be quite expensive). That's the nature of insurance.
    Personally, I'm glad the fliplid has gone.

I have a 270 with no lid and a 180 with a lid.

The 270 is much more ergonomic and easy to use. I have had no probs with screen scratches etc and have no case - literally throw it in my pocket.

I now find the 180 cumbersome to use - the Treo has a great form until you open the lid - then it becomes 100% bigger!

I would never go back to a clamshell design.

I suppose, if people are worried about the screen of the 600, they should protect their investment by getting a case.
    www.gsmworld.com
    When I held the 600 at that Sprint conference (my how far we've come in such a short time), they told me that they put an ultra-thin, ultra-visible protective plastic coating on the screen to deal with scratches. I couldn't tell any difference in the visibility, so it didn't detract at all.
    Time will tell, tho - this issue is flip/no flip certainly has two sides (heh). One one hand I really do like that my Treo screen has no scratches at all - on the other hand, it IS a pain to open the flip to do quick things. So - you gain, but you give.
    I have a 180 and now that I know the 600 has no cover, I'm finding that I'm wishing my 180 had no cover also. Guess that means, I'm not going to miss it much.

Anyone else having these thoughts?
    Last edited by robertruelan; 06/19/2003 at 12:53 PM.
    My biggest concern is accidentally dialing a number ... for example when you sit down and some body part hits a speed dial button? They indicated there's a screen lock button ...

I'm not so concerned about scratches on the screen ... that's what screen protectors are for.
    Keyboard locking is trivial.

E.g. - my ancient dumb Nokia requires "rapid" successive pushing of two widely spaced keys to unlock the keyboard (when locked) - pressing anything else doesn't do ANYTHING, including turn on the display light, thus battery use is minimal (if one does NOT lock the keyboard, as my wife found out, having the Nokia bouncing around in a purse rapidly drains the battery as the backlight" keeps on turning on).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast