1.    #1  
    Treo 600 is seriously dissappointing me. I like upgrading to the newest hardware, and enjoying all the benefits of innovation, that's why I'm a macuser. Innovation. However this new treo doesn't look like something I can get on board with =(

I don't need a camera on my phone. What is the quality going to be like - does anyone know? I've never used a cell phone cam.

I need infared to make the Pocketop keyboard I have usable. I can't type quickly on the little Treo keypad, but I definitely like the keypad more than graffiti so kudos to Handspring for dropping it for the Treo 300. Nonetheless dropping IR is a huge mistake as far as I'm concerned.

I don't need more RAM. 16MB is quite enough for me. More is cool, but combine that with an SD slot, and it's entirely too much of the wrong functionality I don't need. Where's the Bluetooth? Can I just buy a bluetooth SD/MM card for the Treo 600? I don't really understand the point or benefit of the new slot otherwise.

No flip lid. I like that my screen is protected at all times. I am not sure I'm prepared to give that up.

Could anyone address the following questions:

-Can Bluetooth be implemented with Treo 600 somehow?
    -Is there an infared port?
    -What about the unprotected screen - is anyone else worried about that?
    -What exactly is this camera on the treo? I mean, I HAVE a Canon S230, is the Treo 600 camera-thing better somehow? What is the point?
    Evidently Treo is working with third parties so that you will be able to get a full range of use out of a BT SD card for connection to handsets and such. Check out the various links that have been posted on this forum to read more about what the new TREO promises to offer in this respect. Who knows, maybe you'll be able to get a BT keyboard.

I admit I'm taken aback by your post. I don't mean to sound belligerent here, but I'm a bit incredulous you're complaining because the Treo has extra features and specs. Wow, I agree, what is the point? Of doing that, I mean. I can see complaining about a much needed feature being left OUT, but not because some extras are put IN. I already posted here what I'll be using the camera for, even if it basically stinks, which I assume, it probably will. I think it will be on a par with a cheesy little webcam like my old Logitech QuickCam. That is sort of what the Samsung i-700 and Zire 71 offer and I have no reason to anticipate the Treo's camera will be any better. Well as far as the camera goes, all I can say is if you're into innovation, you must have a good imagination, so use it to envision what you could do with the camera, even if it's the cheesiest little thing you ever saw. And if your imagination fails you, just read the promos on what Handspring and Sprint expect users will do with the camera. Some people probably never will use the camera. Fine, they can just ignore it. It's on the back of the device where nobody has to look at it and can quickly forget it's there if they so desire. I suspect it's there because Sprint wanted it there. Sprint is pushing cell phones with cameras and Handspring wanted their business. That is probably the real point to the camera being there.

You don't care about extra RAM, while everyone else I know hacks a Palm to within an inch of its life to get around the smaller RAM. Then don't use it. Use the amount of MB you are used to. Ignore the rest. What is the point about about wondering what the point is to extra RAM? If you can't use it, I'm sure somebody will.

The unprotected screen may or may not turn out to be a problem. An optional detachable flip lid would have been nice. Oh well. I will just get a case for mine.

Couldn't tell you about the IR port. I never use the one I have as it is.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the nice post! I didn't think you sounded beligerent.

My feeling is that if they were going to add things, that's one thing, but to do so at the expense of one of the few expansion tools (i.e. infared) is a shame. Furthermore, they were so long making Mac Syncing via USB useful, that many people found the infared port was the only working sync method, so again, to drop it, is quite unappreciated.

I didn't mean to sound like I don't like that they added ram and the slot and the cam, but they added all of those - none of which I needed, and took away what is arguably the one thing I really did need.

Originally posted by monkeywithacold
    Evidently Treo is working with third parties so that you will be able to get a full range of use out of a BT SD card for connection to handsets and such. Check out the various links that have been posted on this forum to read more about what the new TREO promises to offer in this respect. Who knows, maybe you'll be able to get a BT keyboard.

I admit I'm taken aback by your post. I don't mean to sound belligerent here, but I'm a bit incredulous you're complaining because the Treo has extra features and specs. Wow, I agree, what is the point? Of doing that, I mean. I can see complaining about a much needed feature being left OUT, but not because some extras are put IN. I already posted here what I'll be using the camera for, even if it basically stinks, which I assume, it probably will. I think it will be on a par with a cheesy little webcam like my old Logitech QuickCam. That is sort of what the Samsung i-700 and Zire 71 offer and I have no reason to anticipate the Treo's camera will be any better. Well as far as the camera goes, all I can say is if you're into innovation, you must have a good imagination, so use it to envision what you could do with the camera, even if it's the cheesiest little thing you ever saw. And if your imagination fails you, just read the promos on what Handspring and Sprint expect users will do with the camera. Some people probably never will use the camera. Fine, they can just ignore it. It's on the back of the device where nobody has to look at it and can quickly forget it's there if they so desire. I suspect it's there because Sprint wanted it there. Sprint is pushing cell phones with cameras and Handspring wanted their business. That is probably the real point to the camera being there.

You don't care about extra RAM, while everyone else I know hacks a Palm to within an inch of its life to get around the smaller RAM. Then don't use it. Use the amount of MB you are used to. Ignore the rest. What is the point about about wondering what the point is to extra RAM? If you can't use it, I'm sure somebody will.

The unprotected screen may or may not turn out to be a problem. An optional detachable flip lid would have been nice. Oh well. I will just get a case for mine.

Couldn't tell you about the IR port. I never use the one I have as it is.
    I need infared to make the Pocketop keyboard I have usable. I can't type quickly on the little Treo keypad, but I definitely like the keypad more than graffiti so kudos to Handspring for dropping it for the Treo 300. Nonetheless dropping IR is a huge mistake as far as I'm concerned.
    I would be EXTREMELY surprised if it doesn't have an IR port. Where did you get the information that it doesn't have one? In the CNET video it seemed that it has one on top, just above the SD card slot.
    Thanks. I was worried I would come across the wrong way. If we were sitting down and chatting I wouldn't, but on forums I think I can seem too blunt. My natural tendency is not to concern myself too much over what I don't have or can't get, but to make the most of what is available. I get as much use out of the cheesiest crap I own as I do the most sophisticated and advanced stuff.

And I think it just boils down to one man's feast is another man's famine with these PDAs. See you badly need the IR, I need/want the other stuff, but for your sake I do hope the IR is there. I think it probably is, too. I have not been able to see clearly what is on the top of the device, but that is where the IR usually is, so be on the lookout for it there as more photos come out.
    The article here on TC links to a schematic of the processor which has IR support. Seems to bode well for that feature.
    IR is on the top of the device.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I moved away from combined pda/phone TREO 180 cos it kept breaking down and now have a Tungsten T & Panasonic GD87 camera phone. They're both great but I miss the Treo flexibility. The camera on the GD87 is acceptable as a fun feature and should be looked on as no more than that. I think the new Treo looks good and sounds great features wise and I'll be going back to the combined pda / phone when it comes out because it will give me what I want from it.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by miradu
    IR is on the top of the device.
    also the pics at http://www.wireless-doc.com/treo_600.htm from wireless-doc show an app named "beam box"...
    Originally posted by njchris

also the pics at http://www.wireless-doc.com/treo_600.htm from wireless-doc show an app named "beam box"...
    Oooohhhh, and Joust as well. I'm sold!!!
  11.    #11  
    Joust?
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I think those who question the Treo 600's new features (Camera, etc.) or lack of certain features (Hi-res screen, built-in bluetooth, flip cover, etc.) need to think of this from Handspring's point of view to truly understand the motivation behind this product.

The vast majority of people using this web site are real PDA nuts (Meant in the most positive light, as I am one too ). Most of us will invest in the new Treo and probably like it. I'm one who truly loves my Treo 270, bought it the day it was available and will buy the new one (GSM Version) as soon as they let me. Handspring knows about me. They know how to make me and people like me happy. Their problem is that accomplishing that hasn't improved their quarterly numbers. They've watched companies like Sony attract lots of new customers by offering multimedia capable PDAs (I was one of them, Clie N760C owner, Pre-Treo). They've watched cell phone carriers and manufacturers attract customers by introducing phones with non-traditional features like cameras, instant messaging, color screens and photos. Handspring, (now Palm) can't be satisfied with just getting people like me to buy this new device and that's why the form factor, feature set and the variety of Treo 600 family models will exist, so they can have a product that satisfies the needs of their base customer and appeals to a kind of customer they haven't had in the past.

So if Handspring is really concerned with attracting the casual cell phone customer, they have to make some hard choices. They can't put a high-res screen on the device and risk losing those customers because of poor battery life. My Treo 270 can run out of juice on those days when I make several 40 minute calls in addition to my normal usage. Having owned a Sony Clie, I appreciate the quality of a 320 X 320 screen, but I've been without one for over a year now and value battery life more. Additionally, Handspring has refined their approach to marketing the device. Instead of just having two devices to support two phone networks (i.e. CDMA & GSM), they will also allow the carriers to market customized versions of the phone, which means more options for the everyday consumer. Their goal is to get more marketshare and sales and I think they will accomplish this because they have introduced a product that appeals to the cell phone user and addresses the increasing needs of the PDA nut.

My 2
    Originally posted by longday
    Joust?
    The lower right icon shown on the image that wireless-doc posted is for a game. I don't know if it is part of the default install, but I hope so. I loved the game as a kid.
    Originally posted by Lucky_One

The lower right icon shown on the image that wireless-doc posted is for a game. I don't know if it is part of the default install, but I hope so. I loved the game as a kid.
    what is get bc?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I am pretty sure that that is Brian's personal treo 600 so the programs on it are his, not the default ones.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by Lucky_One

Oooohhhh, and Joust as well. I'm sold!!!
    Yeah, I saw that too. Loved that game.

I bet it is two player over the net...