1.    #1  
    Just curious about your opinion regarding the 'business sense' of announcing the T600 3 months before it is available. Palm did a similar thing and just about killed their business, as folks basically stopped buying the current product. Now HS will presumably seriously damage their sales of T270/T300 while serious buyers wait it out. Yes, they do freeze the market a bit with those who will forego buying a competitive product. Yes, it does sort of appear like they plan to keep the T270/300 as 'entry level' models. Maybe Hs feels that since Palm gave them a cash infusion (?rescue) that they can afford to mess up cash flow now in the hopes of a big fall/winter windfall. Any thoughts??
    Yep, I thought the same thing, although in this case Handspring is getting bought out, and it sounds like their current sales suck, so they really don't have much to lose.

Also, assuming the 600 is fairly reasonably priced, I imagine it can be a big hit, especially if Palm-spring has the full support of the carriers (which seemed to be the problem with the first round of devices).
    They definitely want to build anticipation for the 600 ... but at the cost of losing 270/300 sales. However, they are hoping to recover somewhat with their tradeup offer (although we don't know what it is) and do not wish to jeopardize their existing customer base. It's a fine-line and I am guessing they are betting on the 600 being so popular as to make up for it later.
    Hope they are right.
    To a large degree this may be a point of difference between a carrier oriented distribution system and a more consumer oriented system. HS/Palm...? is has focussed and continues to focus on developing carrier relationships where the carrier will buy large volumes of phones and take on the risk of re-selling them to cellular subscribers. This kind of "pre-announce", I think, may generate new buzz and help generate new carrier relationships and strengthen existing ones.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    Very good point, gargoylejps.

Along the same lines, HS REALLY needs to get enterprise sales going. That's one big segment they're aiming for (see Jeff Hawkins video). CeBIT is a huge business to business technology venue and it probably played a big role in the decision re the exact timing of the announcement. But enterprise sales cycles are long and they need a longer lead time. So announcing right now might be crucial for HS to hit the ground running with their product.

Furthermore, Palm devices have in general failed to penetrate enterprises as well as PPC devices have. But Phone/Palm/Data combo device done well might just be the ticket Palm/Handspring needs to start getting a foothold in that market.
    Even with the release of the 600 info, this want hurt the 270 and 300. Watch for big price cuts over the next few weeks to start clearing the channel.

Knowing of the 600, a friend just bought a 270 for the AT&T network TODAY! and will most likly upgrade to the GSM version of the 600.
    Also, don't forget, that in the news stories HS said they were not developing some software applications to make full use of the device, an MP3 player for example, but where releasing the necessary specs to developers. This lead time, assuming they were releasing the specs soon, should give developers time to write Treo 600 support into applications. Thus, when the Treo does arrive there will be a reasonable number of applications that take advantage of its many features.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    Handspring doesn't care about TREO 270 and TREO 300 sales - excpet via their web site they make no money from the sale of same.

According to at least one article I recently read, HAND made 330,000 TREOs and have sold at most 200,000 to enduser customers, the rest being in the inventory of people like Sprint, T-Mobile, Best Buy, whomever.

Since Sprint isn't buying any more TREO 300s (understandable!) ti doesn't hurt HAND if no more TREO 300s get sold (they already have a "bad rep" for lack of sale - a little more ain't gonna huirt them).

Handspring above ALL else need s "buzz" - LOTS of it.

That's all that counts right now.

Note that the new communicator isn't on the FCC site yet - why? Because it isn't approved yet, IMHO - that means they MUST generate buzz any way they can.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor

Note that the new communicator isn't on the FCC site yet - why? Because it isn't approved yet, IMHO - that means they MUST generate buzz any way they can.
    I disagree. I believe it isn't showing on the FCC web site because HS got their act together this time around and asked for the information to be held from the website early on. Last time, they asked too late.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    This large inventory of Treos I keep reading about intrigues me. I know Best Buy has none, at least of the 300. I tried to get a replacement from them about a month ago under my extended warranty and they could only offer me a Samsung (boy is that thing ugly). I'm interested in buying one for my son, especially if this huge back inventory combined with new product could drive the price down to or below the old Amazon/New Subscriber price of $150.
    Why and what would Handspring want to hide at this point in time w.r.t. the TREO 600?

In a realted request - anyone go to CeBit and try the TREO 600 out online themselves?
    Seeing all the marketing blitz today, I had to ask myself the same question, "Why would HS introduce the T600 now -- so long before it's available? Here's what I came up with (some of which has been mentioned above):
    • Info on the device has already leaked out (primarily on this site)
    • Other competing devices are becoming available at this time (e.g. Kyo 7135, Samsung i500)
    • Treo 270 & 300 sales are trailing off
    • HS wants credit for the device -- by the time it's available it will likely be branded Palm
    • To put pressure on the carriers by raising the public's expectations
    • Possibly reinvigorate Treo 270 and 300 sales as the T600 is seen as a Premium device, targeted at a different market sector
    • And finally, the most unlikely reason -- that it will be available sooner that you think
    go.digital
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Why and what would Handspring want to hide at this point in time w.r.t. the TREO 600?

In a realted request - anyone go to CeBit and try the TREO 600 out online themselves?
    I suspect that the FCC doesn't move at the speed of business, hence their putting stuff on their web site can not by synchronized with announcements like this.

All I'm saying is a very plausible scenario is that HS applied for FCC approval and was granted it. They had probably asked to tell the FCC later when to release the info. Under that scenario, it is still palusible that HS didn't ask to release the info yet or they have and the FCC hasn't gotten around to it yet.

Plus, I think there is info to hide, like internal pictures, component manufacturers, etc.
    Originally posted by Seldomvisitor

I'm heading over to CeBit today to take a look at the new Treo.

Does anyone have any questions they'd like me to ask? Or specific features of the Treo they'd like me to specifically look at?
    Originally posted by bshort

I'm heading over to CeBit today to take a look at the new Treo.

Does anyone have any questions they'd like me to ask? Or specific features of the Treo they'd like me to specifically look at?
    It's great that you're going to CeBit... Here are my questions:

- Will it run high-resolution applications?

- What is the color depth of the display?

- When will the GSM version be available. Treo Central's article said that an unlocked, no contract version will be sold first. Will that come out before the carrier-branded GSM versions?

- What is the story with the color of the unit? Why are the promo pictures silver and the one they're showing black? What will Sprint's look like?

- Finally, SeldomVisitor is claiming that you can't use the radio on this unit yet, can you try to make a phone call with it, or surf to a web site?

Thanks a lot.
    > ...SeldomVisitor is claiming that you can't use the radio on this
    > unit yet, can you try to make a phone call with it, or surf to a
    > web site?...

Wha-wha-wha-wha-what!!!?

Ahem...asking if someone has used a key feature of a smartphone - the phone part! - and SURFING! - and how it went is not at ALL the same thing as stating it doesn't work.

Good grief.

That's the WHOLE reason for asking!

Unless, of course, we're simply interested in pure speculation rather than real information.
    I personally agree with some others that HS sales are down to begin with and creating this 'buzz' about the product will only strenghten them in the long run.

Speaking of Marketing, am I missing something or will they continue to use the HS logo on the 600? I'm assuming that the final product will have the Palm logo. If so, the 600s with the HS logo will be the final product with that logo.

I smell collector item... lol
    Last edited by robertruelan; 06/19/2003 at 12:52 PM.
    Originally posted by robertruelan
    I personally agree with some others that HS sales are down to begin with and creating this 'buzz' about the product will only strenghten them in the long run.

Speaking of Marketing, am I missing something or will they continue to use the HS logo on the 600? I'm assuming that the final product will have the Palm logo. If so, the 600s with the HS logo will be the final product with that logo.

I smell collector item... lol
    Word is that it will initially be branded a HS, but will shift over to Palm later on. It will always be branded a Treo, though. So Palm is going to have three product lines. Zire, for consumer. Tungsten for business. Treo for mobile. Sounds good to me.