Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    It is going to be a tough sell for the TREO 600. A lot is coming out in the market because of Pocket PC 2003, Palm OS 5 product will be coming out even below the rocks and MS Smarthphone will be hitting the US.

Let's see:

Sprint:

I500
    Treo 600
    I700 , improved from the Verizon model. Pocket PC 2003 and PXA 255 chipset. This unit is really good I have tried out the Verizon model and its weight and functionality are really good.
    A lot of rumors within the cell industry about another phone that Sprint has under wraps. This can be the I600, the HTC Falcon or the Smarthphone ( HTC SPVx or the Compal).

Verizon will have the MITAC 8830, the I600 .

ATT will have another Pocket PC phone, the Smarthphone the SPVx, the Treo 600, the Blackberry 7230

TMobile will also have Pocket PC phone, the Smarthphone Compal , the Treo 600, the Blackberry 7230 , Sony Ericsson P800, new 8800 motorola and another rev to the sidekick.

So its is not going to be easy to decide as before when only the Treo and one Pocket PC was available.

I will also bet and this is my guess that the Clies will evolve into something at the end of this year.

We will see, hoepfully the carriers provide special pricing
    I agree with your view on a packed marketplace. Handspring will really have to polish this product in the next few months if it wants to make an serious and profitable impact. In my mind the falling price of data will increase demands for smart phones. Honestly, the only manufactuer i see as a competant competitor is Sony Ericsson. If the R/D team that designs Clies meets up with the R/D team in the Ericsson department lookout Handspring.
    > ...In my mind the falling price of data will increase demands for
    > smart phones...

Yes, Handspring warned about flat datarates in their financial documents - it does indeed attract customers to carriers but those customers, according to Handspring, use the less expensive data-using phones rather than the (very) high-end data-using TREOs.

(the above is a paraphrase of what Handspring said - you can read their 10Q to see what they said verbatim)

Unless PALM (not Handspring) can get the price of the TREO 600 et al down to the reasonable level, IMHO, it will be another financial dud.

(note - I'm only interested in the financial side, not the geek side. The TREOs are cool but they don't currently, and IMHO, won't sell due to their high cost)
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I agree that until the prices come down people will refrain from buying covergent type phones. The problem in the HS assumption is that they forget that people have been using PDA's in a popular way for more than 5 years therefore you have a mature audience that will migrate to a new market with a lot of more offerings than last year.
    Originally posted by daftgem
    I agree with your view on a packed marketplace. Handspring will really have to polish this product in the next few months if it wants to make an serious and profitable impact. In my mind the falling price of data will increase demands for smart phones. Honestly, the only manufactuer i see as a competant competitor is Sony Ericsson. If the R/D team that designs Clies meets up with the R/D team in the Ericsson department lookout Handspring.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. Once Sony gets its Clie/Phone combo out, watch out Treo. Imagine, a high resolution screen mixed with the latest Clie gadgetries. Woohoo!
    Originally posted by jonnysnakes

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Once Sony gets its Clie/Phone combo out, watch out Treo. Imagine, a high resolution screen mixed with the latest Clie gadgetries. Woohoo!
    Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. Sony will have to overcome a LOT of technological hurdles as well as come up with a completely new implementation strategy and way of thinking before they'll be able to successfully compete with Handspring in terms of a PDA/Phone.

All the neat gadgets that Sony finds easy to implement in the Clie will be much harder to implement in something the size of a Treo 600 without sacrificing battery life, price, and ergonomics.

Sony has great products and is a great company, but you can't just jump into a market and expect to do well without doing your homework. If you don't believe me, just as Micro$oft.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    If you were to ask Handspring, I'd bet they'd say their competitors are not most of the so-called 'smartphones' like the 7135, or the I500, or whatever, but more accurately the newer Blackberry and the color Danger. In other words - other devices with keyboards and phone combo. Those are the ones they're targeting with the 600.

That narrows the competition list dramatically (whether that strategy is right or, wrong, and whether you agree with it or not).
    Sony is good for innovative gee-whiz features, but they need to start concentrating more on ergonomics if they intend to enter the convergence market. Their keyboards are unpleasant. Their high-end units are not readily pocketable. And they cling to memory sticks, which is a good or bad thing depending on what other device you are switching over from.

Meanwhile, the Treo 600 appears to have been designed to be a comfortable experience for the user to hold and actually wear on a belt or keep in a pocket. It uses SDIO, generally regarded as a good thing right now. And if Palm & its distributing carriers decide to get in gear now and provide good customer service for broken or defective units, they will have Sony beat by a mile right there.