Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I can't believe the screen won't be high res. Battery life be darned. The pics they show on the website with the camera shots look "High res", but then you read it's still 160x160 but brighter. Looks like false advertising. I love the treo 300, but it needs a high res screen. If the treo 600 don't have it, then I thik their sales will still stink.
    I think the stinky sales they have will have nothing to do with the resolution of the display (looks pretty good to my eyes).
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I'll still get it. I don't have a problem with how it looks now in terms of rez. higher would be great, but it won't stop me from buying one.

Plus they will have some kind of upgrade for current owners (per the handspring site).
    Personally, I can't wait to find out about the trade-up for existing Treo customers. Although, my guess ... it most likely will only be $50-100. What do you folks think? Am I being too negative?
    For me, it depends on the trade up price, and whether or not they get the GSM version out any time soon, and whether or not they offer the trade-up deal in the UK.

If I can upgrade for, say 100 or so, then I'd go for it. Otherwise, sorry, but the screen would be a turn off for me. Was hoping my next machine would have an improved screen over the Treo.
    Originally posted by Llynx
    Personally, I can't wait to find out about the trade-up for existing Treo customers. Although, my guess ... it most likely will only be $50-100. What do you folks think? Am I being too negative?
    No, that sounds about right.
    160x160 sounds like a bummer but everything else sounds like (on paper anyway) a really significant improvement not just over the existing Treo, but on the competing regular PDAs and convergence PDAs I have been looking at for a long time now. This is the first and only PDA (not even thinking about the phone integration that I'm drooling over) that has got me truly feeling "this is what I have been waiting for."

It seems they put a lot of thought into how people would want to use a small device like this. Even people upset over the lack of built-in bluetooth have somewhat of a concession in that Treo is working with third parties to provide a solution via SDIO. It looks like there may even be the chance I'll get the voice memo feature I like. They're really promising me a way to have just about every feature I wanted, in an ergonomic and incredibly compact design.

So of course I'm getting it, unless the implementation turns out to fall far, far short of the promise. Hopefully the next go-round, they'll find a way to make 320x320 work out well without compromising the pocketability and then I'll upgrade again, without any fussing. Upgrading (and a wee bit of compromise) is a never-ending commitment where technology is concerned. I've accepted that and am so over it.
    Originally posted by amakh007
    The pics they show on the website with the camera shots look "High res", but then you read it's still 160x160 but brighter. Looks like false advertising.
    I mentioned in another thread that the pic with the car in it is only about 125x125 and has about 10,300 colors, so it isn't false advertising.

I just want to be able to show good baby pictures.
    Does anyone know? 12 bits or 16 bits colors. 12 bits on current Treo looks pale.
    Gee, all this discussion of screen rez seems pointless.

The 600 isn't being marketed to the techno-geek (of which I am) audience that wants to have a mobile paltform for their p0rn. That's the only reason anyone needs high rez on these devices...that ans slick multi-media.

This 600 is an "enterprise" device for the corporate market. Ad mentioned in the video. It's for looking up travel info, flight info, weather, IMing with other workers, reading email, writing quick memos and taking notes... IMHO.

Would I like hi-rez. Yes. But if that's what you want, get a device with a BIGGER screen that will make the high rex worth your while.

Again... IMHO.

This could be my first flame start in a long while... ;-)
    What is the resolution of the Treo 300?
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I agree 'Holocron'. I am sure it will be an an improvement over the current screen on the 270 and that is all that matters to me.

Kirby
    My reason for wanting higher resolution is that I could then use smaller fonts and view larger amounts of data from spreadsheets. However, I will still buy one the first day I can.

Geoffrey
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    The problem I see with the lack of a high resolution screen is this:

People are going to be buying a Treo because they want a phone with a PDA. If they just wanted a phone with a camera, there are plenty of other options. When they see on the specs that it runs Palm OS5, they are going to expect it to run everything that another Palm OS5 device can. And, it simply is not going to be able to do that. I would be very suprised if it was able to run any application that uses graphics and was designed to run on Palm OS5. The simple fact of the matter is that this will be the only OS5 device on the market with a 160X160 screen, and I see that as being a big problem. New software is going to be written expecting 320X320.

I have owned Handspring PDA's since the original Visor, but I really think they dropped the ball on this one.
    Originally posted by ggulick
    The problem I see with the lack of a high resolution screen is this:

People are going to be buying a Treo because they want a phone with a PDA. If they just wanted a phone with a camera, there are plenty of other options. When they see on the specs that it runs Palm OS5, they are going to expect it to run everything that another Palm OS5 device can. And, it simply is not going to be able to do that. I would be very suprised if it was able to run any application that uses graphics and was designed to run on Palm OS5. The simple fact of the matter is that this will be the only OS5 device on the market with a 160X160 screen, and I see that as being a big problem. New software is going to be written expecting 320X320.
    This is not true. Palm OS 5 is able to render double-density graphics on single density displays. There are ways to write apps such that they address the screen resolution directly, however the most straightforward (and recommended) way to write OS 5 software is resolution-indpendent.
    Originally posted by Holocron
    Gee, all this discussion of screen rez seems pointless...
    This 600 is an "enterprise" device for the corporate market. Ad mentioned in the video. It's for looking up travel info, flight info, weather, IMing with other workers, reading email, writing quick memos and taking notes...
    You're right on point Holocron -- Took the words right out of my mouth. Jeff himself proclaimed this an enterprise device, citing that workers need to be able to use this device all day long without ever having to think of battery life (something hi-rez PocketPC users can't do).

Undoubtedly, all of us want all the bells and whistles. But as tech-elite, we're all painfully aware that there are always trade-offs, and in this case Jeff and his team traded battery life with screen resolution.

Is anyone out there familiar with screen hardware? Is it a correct assumption that a 320x320 screen requires 400% more power than a 160x160 display? And if so, how do you think this would impact the battery life of the Treo 600 if it had a hi-rez display?
    go.digital
    Originally posted by dulan

You're right on point Holocron -- Took the words right out of my mouth. Jeff himself proclaimed this an enterprise device, citing that workers need to be able to use this device all day long without ever having to think of battery life (something hi-rez PocketPC users can't do).
    Thanks. I was afraid this would degenerate into a flame-o-matic 2003 thread.

Look, I first got a Visor Platinum. Then I snagged a new Prism at refurb prices the day they were discontinued. I had been condsidering the Treo, as it was just out, but couldn't justify the cost. A co-worker has a Sony Clie NV90 or something like that. And it is--especially because of the graphics-"slicker than cow slobber." This is because it is hi-rez. It also has a friggin' huge display. I really can't imagine seeing anything more on a display with double the rez but smaller size than my Prism.

I have enough trouble reading the text on my 15" laptop LCD display. I just have to think that the rez issue isn't a real factor in all this. Lost point for WOW factor, but made up elsewhere.

I'm not even sold on the whole concept of the integrated pda/phone. This may be the closest thing that looks like a workable device to me, but it imposes limitations. How do I look up something when on the phone? Use an ear bud? Not always an option. Speaker Phone? (does the 600 feature this?) Maybe I don't want everyone around me to hear the convo. I think a smart phone (maybe even the 600 with 'limited' pda fuctions) with wireless connectivity to a seperate PDA device is still the way to go. Most versitile...

'nuff said. Rant Off.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts

I'm not even sold on the whole concept of the integrated pda/phone. This may be the closest thing that looks like a workable device to me, but it imposes limitations. How do I look up something when on the phone? Use an ear bud? Not always an option. Speaker Phone? (does the 600 feature this?) Maybe I don't want everyone around me to hear the convo. I think a smart phone (maybe even the 600 with 'limited' pda fuctions) with wireless connectivity to a seperate PDA device is still the way to go. Most versitile...

'nuff said. Rant Off.

But then you are craning your neck trying to hold the tiny cel phone you got while looking something up on a seperate device? As long as you are bringing along two devices, in this scenario, wouldn't it be easier to carry a small earbud to plug in for these instances? Why would you say it's not always an option but having two seperate devices would be? Seems easier to carry a tiny earbud than 2 bulkier devices.

You COULD just say "hold on a sec" while you look it up.

I don't usually like convergence in devices, but this is one that seems to work for me (the camera I can care less, it's just a gimmick since it's rez is VGA it wouldn't be good for printing 8x10 pics.. and the low pixel count will not be as detailed as my digital camera).

Originally posted by silverado

This is not true. Palm OS 5 is able to render double-density graphics on single density displays. There are ways to write apps such that they address the screen resolution directly, however the most straightforward (and recommended) way to write OS 5 software is resolution-indpendent.
    And who/what is going to make sure the general community of palm programmers will do that?

Thanks. I was afraid this would degenerate into a flame-o-matic 2003 thread.

Look, I first got a Visor Platinum. Then I snagged a new Prism at refurb prices the day they were discontinued. I had been condsidering the Treo, as it was just out, but couldn't justify the cost. A co-worker has a Sony Clie NV90 or something like that. And it is--especially because of the graphics-"slicker than cow slobber." This is because it is hi-rez. It also has a friggin' huge display. I really can't imagine seeing anything more on a display with double the rez but smaller size than my Prism.

I have enough trouble reading the text on my 15" laptop LCD display. I just have to think that the rez issue isn't a real factor in all this. Lost point for WOW factor, but made up elsewhere.

'nuff said. Rant Off.
    I hereby challenge you to imagine a device that lets you put it against your ear and see it and type on it at the same time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast