1.    #1  
    Originally posted by finadvsr
    see link below.....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...spring_treo_dc
    still no conformation on resolution.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    wow. talk about in-depth info. great! and the screen res is not a killer issue for me. brightness is a great improvement, otherwise i am not having any problems with my current resolution... longer battery life is a biggie.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Does anyone know what the color depth will be on the 600? My biggest display gripe my current color Treo is the 12 bit color, not the resolution.
    Originally posted by vflopez
    Does anyone know what the color depth will be on the 600? My biggest display gripe my current color Treo is the 12 bit color, not the resolution.
    Well, if the image of the car is any indication than it seems to be more than 12 bit which is limited to about 4,000 colors. The image of the car had over 10,000 unique colors.
    Originally posted by Lucky_One

Well, if the image of the car is any indication than it seems to be more than 12 bit which is limited to about 4,000 colors. The image of the car had over 10,000 unique colors.
    Well, according to the article on CNet.com, the device will remain at 12-bit color, since it has less to render and draws less power. Whether or not Cnet's right, though, I couldn't say, but they're the first to even comment on the color-depth issue...

CNet Article
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV
    [B]

Well, according to the article on CNet.com, the device will remain at 12-bit color, since it has less to render and draws less power. Whether or not Cnet's right, though, I couldn't say, but they're the first to even comment on the color-depth issue...
    Well, if that is the case then the image displayed on HandSpring's web site is a bit deceptive as it had over 2-1/2 times the amount of unique colors that a 12-bit image would allow.

I hope CNet is wrong.
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV

CNet Article
    Yikes!!

I hope CNET is wrong too
    Originally posted by Lucky_One

Well, if that is the case then the image displayed on HandSpring's web site is a bit deceptive as it had over 2-1/2 times the amount of unique colors that a 12-bit image would allow.

I hope CNet is wrong.
    It could very well BE that Handspring's image is deceptive; although I, like everyone else, hopes that it's not. Handspring did the same thing when marketing the original Treo's (that is, using an image that was clearly 16/24-bit), and images never came out like that.

Most PDA companies use mock-ups for the actual screenshots, so that they can control the look of the image...actual photographs tend to look muddy and washed out, regardless of the screen quality. I still think it's quite possible that the screens will be 12-bit, and Handspring hasn't announced simply because they're trying not to bring it to the forefront.

But I sure hope I'm wrong!
    Unfortunately, I'm beginning to feel that 12-bit color is the real story Reading the text that says "full color" in a few places reminds me of the current treo specs. Plus, if it had more, I would think it would have been mentioned.

Don't know how much visibility this thread is having. Wait until the masses here hear about this!
    Originally posted by silverado
    Unfortunately, I'm beginning to feel that 12-bit color is the real story Reading the text that says "full color" in a few places reminds me of the current treo specs. Plus, if it had more, I would think it would have been mentioned.

Don't know how much visibility this thread is having. Wait until the masses here hear about this!
    I personally don't see a problem with it. It isn't a great photo viewing device, obviously. The screen will get the point across and that's really what you are looking for in a phone. And if it cuts the rendering requirement by 1/4, all the better!

On a related note, are they going to be releasing an upgraded photo-album app as well?
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I personally don't see a problem with it. It isn't a great photo viewing device, obviously. The screen will get the point across and that's really what you are looking for in a phone. And if it cuts the rendering requirement by 1/4, all the better!
    I agree...if it makes an honest difference in performance/battery life, than I really don't mind it. In fact, I've seen some absolutely gorgeous 12-bit screens out there (I always thought the original iPAQ screens were pretty sharp); I think the problem is that the Treo screens were workable, decent screens, but they weren't anything to go nuts over. I think if Handspring took those same screens and made them a little less "blah" (increase brightness, color contrast, etc.), than people wouldn't be bothered so much by it.

As it is, I'm sure most new users won't notice the difference without being told about it, anyway!
    I have not seen any impressive photos on the Treo. However, after downsampling some images to 12 bit tonight (just for fun ) I notice realatively little loss, except in subtle gradients. Would you current treo users agree?
    i use splashphoto on my treo and have stopped carrying photos in my wallet. not that the quality is absolutely spectacular, but it's quite satisfactory and folks think it's neat when i show them, which is the idea of toys anyway, isn't it? sharing them with your playmates?
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.