Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not sure if you guys are reading the news discussion on brighthand or PIC, there's been an overwhelmingly negative rxn to the Treo600, specifically about the screen and no BT. Of course this old news to many of us at treocentral, but this overall negative reaction cannot be good for the Treo's PRPRPR. $I$ $hope$ $this$ $bad$ $PR$ $doesn$'$t$ $bury$ $the$ $Treo$ $600$ $immediately$ $out$ $of$ $the$ $gate$...
    They might have some valid points about the screen, though everyone who as actually seen it seems to really like it.

No BlueTooth is no big deal. That is yesterday's technology, already passed by WiFi and still available via the SDIO slot if really needed.
    From the financial-rather-than geek perspective - an admittedly negative one - the fact that the new device will be sold "at a premium" to the old ones does not bode well.

Stand back, look at the TREO 600.

What does it have that you cannot get cheaper elsewhere?

Okay, yes, it has a QWERTY keyboard.

What else?

Right.

Now price it out.
    Everyone always has something bad to say, so I'm not too worried about the negative comments.

It does make sense that the Treo 600's screen in NOT hi-res because of the battery. My Treo 270 runs out of batteries so fast as is. If it were any worse because of an "unnecessary" hi-res screen, I would absolutely hate it.

If you need a hi-res screen, go with a Clie.

I like my PDA/phone combo. Smaller is good. Color screen is a plus. SD options for wifi and bluetooth are also a plus. Wouldn't it be cool to see a SD wifi/BT/backup card for the Treo 600? This would be like the days of the combo Springboard modules....unfortunately mostly vapor.

I think this Treo 600 will be a hit! I'm waiting for the GSM TMobile version though.
    Million Dollar Bills, anyone?

<a href="http://www.millionbill.com">www.MillionBill.com</a>
    The real initial press that I've been reading on this device is quite positive! Looking through the news reports I see a lot of excitement. I personally think it is a very exciting device and I can't wait to get my hands on one!

It does have these shortcomings, but nothing is perfect. Us patrons of these boards are typically more critical than others, looking for the best of the best in our new gadgets. I think, in reality, most of "us" will buy it anyway and, more importantly, MANY who wouldn't consider the older Treos will as well. We all know how good the current Treo is and keep saying that we wish they could market it better. Things are bound to change with the 600 series which looks a lot more sexy and will have a better marketing machine behind it (Palm) . Also, the name Palm is a household name (well, PalmPilot is), while HandSpring is not.

I think the future looks very good. Handspring has done the dirty work of building carrier relationships. The phones cover all standards--every major carrier can use them! They are actually built like phones now and have a really nice set of features in a compact package. My expectation is for this device to make real headway in its class. I will bet that many of the next models from all manufacturers competing in this space will copy its keyboard.

Can't wait to get my hands on the GSM version I just hope it comes out in the silver color that's in the official photos, rather than the dark on in the video.
    The phone and feature set look great - but two substantial nits:

1. No flip lid. A removable flip lid to cover that expense screen (and a better keyguard than having to push a button to activate, is a must in my book.

2. Replaceable battery - yes, they beefed it up, but when you run out, you're out (forget a bulky clip-on backup battery) When was the last time you saw ANY cell phone without a replaceable battery?
    Originally posted by dstrauss

1. No flip lid. A removable flip lid to cover that expense screen (and a better keyguard than having to push a button to activate, is a must in my book.
    I'm sure you don't unlock the phone with just a single button push. There is a button that has to do with locking (see the lock icon on the right-most application button), but you will probably have to do something else after you push it ot unlock the phone. This is trivial.
    Products are introduced for target audiences. Sony's target audience differs from Hand's target audience for this device. The battery life issue, and the price point issue, plus first hand reports that the screen is "quite nice", have tipped the scales in favor of Hand providing a 160X160 display for this specific product.

I have a memory of gfunk posting on other threads and saying he had no interest in the Treo. As I remember, the only reason he reluctantly joined the party is that the phone he was wating for was delayed. I suggest history will repeat itself, in that he will have a very long wait to find a product that approaches what the Treo 600 has to offer. I am quite confident that he will again "join the party". The only question is how late he will arrive imo.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I'm actually really excited about the 600.

I'm glad thereis no flip cover any longer. It just seemed too fragile. And a reason I didn't want the I500 or switch to Koyocera 7135 is due to the flip style. I love seeing who is calling (I use picture caller ID and I do *NOT* want to be without that in my next phone).

I'm happy it's slimmer. I am VERY happy they included a card slot, are using OS5 / faster processor, and still has a keyboard.

I don't see any other Palm based phone on the market that can compete.

No Blue Tooth is not a deal breaker for me.

More people will complain than praise in message boards. It's pretty common on the net (and outside of it too).
    Originally posted by rvwink

Products are introduced for target audiences. Sony's target audience differs from Hand's target audience for this device. The battery life issue, and the price point issue, plus first hand reports that the screen is "quite nice", have tipped the scales in favor of Hand providing a 160X160 display for this specific product.
    That's right. I think for a large segment of users, a battery that lasts for 5-6 hours of talk time and two weeks of stand-by time is FAR more than sufficient to take you to your regular resting time when you normally recharge the battery. If you're going on a safari, you better get another phone or buy many of those clip-on batteries*

* Check with your wireless provider for coverage in your safari destination.
    I'd buy one at 12:01 AM.

I understand all fo the things people want. I'd actually like a bigger screen myself, since I do a lot of reading from the screen, but I'll be more than happy with what I get.
    Originally posted by silverado

That's right. I think for a large segment of users, a battery that lasts for 5-6 hours of talk time and two weeks of stand-by time is FAR more than sufficient to take you to your regular resting time when you normally recharge the battery. If you're going on a safari, you better get another phone or buy many of those clip-on batteries*
    I agree this feature is more important to me that a 320 X 320 screen. I think this will be the best Smartphone on the market.
    The negative buzz doesn't faze me either. Having waded through tons of complaints about the new Clies and upcoming new HP PPC's, I've come to the conclusion there is a disproportionate number of whiney nitpickers making themselves heard during previews of devices. Or maybe device previews just bring out the whiney nitpicky side of otherwise very pleasant and likable people. Whatever the case, something causes the forums to fill up with negativity. Then once a device is actually in the market, the complaining subsides a bit and actual users start coming out to contribute to a more positive ownership and forum experience.

Everywhere I go, not just here, if a device comes out without BT, there's a chorus of wailing. Well when they discussed the upcoming HP models, some of which have integrated BT, nobody said "Oh great, integrated BT, how wonderful they included this must-have feature." Instead they complained because the HP's weren't "innovative" enough, didn't have built-in cameras, new size or shape screen, yada yada yada. Now I understand why so many of my friends, who really enjoy and get tons of use out of their PDA's and especially their Treos, never post on forums.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by rvwink
    I have a memory of gfunk posting on other threads and saying he had no interest in the Treo. As I remember, the only reason he reluctantly joined the party is that the phone he was wating for was delayed. I suggest history will repeat itself, in that he will have a very long wait to find a product that approaches what the Treo 600 has to offer. I am quite confident that he will again "join the party". The only question is how late he will arrive imo.
    LOL!! I have said from the start that I wouldn't make a final decision until I see and hold the Treo 600 in my own hands. The other options I'm considering are the SEt608+TG50 combo and the SGH-i500. I'ld like to stay with Sprint, so the latter is unlikely, plus it still isn't available. The T608 is appealing b/c of BT and all-around badass mobile, but I'm not terribly infatuated with the TG50 or forthcoming T2. Thus I'm not totally sold on teh Treo600, but I'm willing to give it a chance...
    I will bet that many of the next models from all manufacturers competing in this space will copy its keyboard.
    Agreed. Just like Microsoft copies Apple (admit it, its true), I'm sure their next PDA/phone reference design will look strangely familiar to the Treo 600. Actually, I think Hitachi already tried to integrate a keyboard into a PDA/phone and the result was horrendous

But here's an important question for those who've held and used the T600 -- what is the Marketing guy talking about in the Cnet interview when he says you can navigate a circle anywhere on the screen to click on buttons (and position the cursor [I think]) using the 5-way nav button? Sounds suspiciously like mouse functionality.
    go.digital
    There is a little circle at the bottom of the phone app screens that sow where each 5 way nav press takes you. Jsut like in powerjog, thigs like the OK button are automaticly selected. No mouse support...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu
    There is a little circle at the bottom of the phone app screens that sow where each 5 way nav press takes you. Jsut like in powerjog, thigs like the OK button are automaticly selected. No mouse support...
    Very cool.
    this new treo looks great, looks solid unlike flimsy existing models, has great features such as expansion slot, camera.colour screen,compact screen, keyboard for fast email/text entry. If it had all the features all the moaners wanted the price would be about double. Obviously Handspring have done the research and the features that are in are the ones that the people who are likely to buy it would want. If it's reasonably priced I'll be buying it - as simple as that. the new styling differentiates from the other clunky competitor models eg Samsung etc and gives it a real phone look - this is the direction these types of products are heading like it or not
    Originally posted by miradu
    In addition I believe there is a feature called "focus" that can be built into apps in which (somewhat like PowerJog, but probably with better support) you could move this focus around buttons or fields on the screen (that's what he probably meant by "circle") and click to select or type into fields.

I believe I read something about this focus feature in a review of the Treo 90, which had a 5.x OS. That was supposedly usable with the jog rocker. It probably is more mature now and well-integrated into the main apps and made much more useful using the 5-way navigator.

I think this focus feature is probably one of the reasons why HS's D-pad's API isn't the same as Palm's. HS's has more features.

Now, can someone please tell me where the term "D-pad" comes from?

In addition I believe there is a feature called "focus" that can be built into apps in which (somewhat like PowerJog, but probably with better support) you could move this focus around buttons or fields on the screen (that's what he probably meant by "circle") and click to select or type into fields.

I believe I read something about this focus feature in a review of the Treo 90, which had a 5.x OS. That was supposedly usable with the jog rocker. It probably is more mature now and well-integrated into the main apps and made much more useful using the 5-way navigator.

I think this focus feature is probably one of the reasons why HS's D-pad's API isn't the same as Palm's. HS's has more features.

Now, can someone please tell me where the term "D-pad" comes from?
    Directional pad. It's a small pad that points in 4 directions, hence the somewhat logical name...lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast