Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So for those of you familiar with the focus feature -- could it be a precursor to the end of the stylus? I for one wouldn't miss the stylus. For me it's a hassle to pull it out, tap a few times, then put it back (or use my fingernail and accidently hit the wrong list item).

Maybe in OS6 they'll have a mouse arrow that you can move around and click on things with the d-pad
    go.digital
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV

Directional pad. It's a small pad that points in 4 directions, hence the somewhat logical name...lol
    Thanks! I knew what it referred to (because I've seen it used a lot), but I never knew where the term came from. Five-way navigator is obvious. I even searched on google and couldn't find the definition anywhere
    Last edited by silverado; 06/18/2003 at 05:56 PM.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    I'm not sure if you guys are reading the news discussion on brighthand or PIC, there's been an overwhelmingly negative rxn to the Treo600, specifically about the screen and no BT. Of course this old news to many of us at treocentral, but this overall negative reaction cannot be good for the Treo's PRPRPR. $I$ $hope$ $this$ $bad$ $PR$ $doesn$'$t$ $bury$ $the$ $Treo$ $600$ $immediately$ $out$ $of$ $the$ $gate$...
    best comment so far:

"You guys are all just a bunch of whiney little (W)itches. Shut the hell up. You can never just look at something and say, "wow, that's pretty cool". There always has to be something wrong." by orev @ 6/18/2003 11:25:31 AM on Palm Info Center
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by dstrauss
    The phone and feature set look great - but two substantial nits:

1. No flip lid. A removable flip lid to cover that expense screen (and a better keyguard than having to push a button to activate, is a must in my book.

2. Replaceable battery - yes, they beefed it up, but when you run out, you're out (forget a bulky clip-on backup battery) When was the last time you saw ANY cell phone without a replaceable battery?
    I dunno... but I don't remember the last time I had to replace the battery on my phone...
    Originally posted by conflagrare

I dunno... but I don't remember the last time I had to replace the battery on my phone...
    I totally agree...most current Lithium (Ion/Polymer) batteries don't start to lose their "charge-holding" abilities for 1.5-2 years of normal use, and a lot of people (especially those interested in such a specialty phone like the Treo) would trade up long before that time period hit. The only time I've ever had to replace a battery before that length of time was due to some sort of battery problem, and the manufacturer or carrier is usually happy enough to replace it for you, or at least give you some credit towards a newer phone.

I can see the value in a replaceable battery, sure, but it's hardly a deal-breaker.
    dstrauss wrote:

1. No flip lid. A removable flip lid to cover that expense screen (and a better keyguard than having to push a button to activate, is a must in my book.

As someone who hates clamshell form factors (the T300 is my first and last one), I can only say that having no flip lid is a feature, not a bug. The best lid is no lid. The best protection for the exposed screen is a case. After scratching some of the paint off the 300's flip cover, it became even more obvious that the protection the cover offers, itself, needs protection!

Aesthetically and ergonomically, I've never understood the advantage of a clamshell phone. It keeps the speaker cocked at an angle from the plane of the ear, it makes you go through the unnecessary action of opening the phone just to use it, it introduces a breakable joint, and it reduces the length of the phone by adding to the depth. Needless to say, I couldn't be happier with the new form factor.
    Originally posted by dulan
    ...could it be a precursor to the end of the stylus?...
    Ahhh, my good friend. We will always need a stylus... so we can pull it out, unscrew the end and stick it in the back of our Treo to do a SOFT RESET
    www.gsmworld.com
    Originally posted by nzmoko

Ahhh, my good friend. We will always need a stylus... so we can pull it out, unscrew the end and stick it in the back of our Treo to do a SOFT RESET
    And if you have AIM 1.1, make it a weekly ritual.
    I have always owned either a wired mobile phone for car...or the motorola starport flip phone in order to keep the antenae as far from ear as possible....(friend died of brain tumor from cell phone use)

only reason I bot the treo 300 over others when I went to pda/phone combo was the flip style that kept the antenae 5 inches from head...the new 600 will put it within 3/4 inch of head....pretty silly if you ask me....

I will not upgrade for that reason...
    Originally posted by nzmoko

My vote for the best comment.......I'm still laughing. I love my Treo 300 and I'm all over the Treo 600, but that comment is too true.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I'm not sure if you guys are reading the news discussion on brighthand or PIC, there's been an overwhelmingly negative rxn to the Treo600, specifically about the screen and no BT. Of course this old news to many of us at treocentral, but this overall negative reaction cannot be good for the Treo's PRPRPR. $I$ $hope$ $this$ $bad$ $PR$ $doesn$'$t$ $bury$ $the$ $Treo$ $600$ $immediately$ $out$ $of$ $the$ $gate$...
    I posted this in another thread, but it seemed relevant here as well.

I think those who question the Treo 600's new features (Camera, etc.) or lack of certain features (Hi-res screen, built-in bluetooth, flip cover, etc.) need to think of this from Handspring's point of view to truly understand the motivation behind this product.

The vast majority of people using this web site are real PDA nuts (Meant in the most positive light, as I am one too ). Most of us will invest in the new Treo and probably like it. I'm one who truly loves my Treo 270, bought it the day it was available and will buy the new one (GSM Version) as soon as they let me. Handspring knows about me. They know how to make me and people like me happy. Their problem is that accomplishing that hasn't improved their quarterly numbers. They've watched companies like Sony attract lots of new customers by offering multimedia capable PDAs (I was one of them, Clie N760C owner, Pre-Treo). They've watched cell phone carriers and manufacturers attract customers by introducing phones with non-traditional features like cameras, instant messaging, color screens and photos. Handspring, (now Palm) can't be satisfied with just getting people like me to buy this new device and that's why the form factor, feature set and the variety of Treo 600 family models will exist, so they can have a product that satisfies the needs of their base customer and appeals to a kind of customer they haven't had in the past.

So if Handspring is really concerned with attracting the casual cell phone customer, they have to make some hard choices. They can't put a high-res screen on the device and risk losing those customers because of poor battery life. My Treo 270 can run out of juice on those days when I make several 40 minute calls in addition to my normal usage. Having owned a Sony Clie, I appreciate the quality of a 320 X 320 screen, but I've been without one for over a year now and value battery life more. Additionally, Handspring has refined their approach to marketing the device. Instead of just having two devices to support two phone networks (i.e. CDMA & GSM), they will also allow the carriers to market customized versions of the phone, which means more options for the everyday consumer. Their goal is to get more marketshare and sales and I think they will accomplish this because they have introduced a product that appeals to the cell phone user and addresses the increasing needs of the PDA nut.

My 2
    Here's my 2 cents and rant.

First off....Hat's off to Handspring! They came out with what looks like a great product even though some thought they were on a sinking ship. Not sinking due to the company or product, just the lack of a bigger following IMO. I have learned I am a very, very small precentage of what the normal customer is. In other words, what I think is less then addiquite, most (read 99.9%) of consumers think is just peachy. The fact that I have found a company that thinks like I do and caters to what I think is needed, I am stoked!

If HS took all of what everyone thought the Treo600 should be, it would (IMO) be either $950, bigger then the Visor Prism or look like a 5 arsed monkey (I have a mental picture of a pager duct taped to a Blackberry with a cell phone double sticky taped to the back with a pair of stereo headphones and a camera eye coming off intergrated with my car alarm) or do a little of everything, and not a lot of anything. They have to come to a comprimise and if they kept improving it, it would never make it to market.

Saying that, I am really impressed with what I have see in the Treo600 so far. It had more then I thought it would (MP3 play back, memeory slot(could this be the future Springboard, there is a rumored Bluetooth card for it correct?) D-button, dual speaker, small form factor, graffiti2, and if HS does what it has in the past, a bunch of impressive internal cooperation with programs and functions that only someone from HS would have the forsight to do) and a whole lot more. Shure there was some stuff I would have liked to see, but overall WOW! I would not use such a harsh word as "disapointed" when the things that I wanted are not on the phone, it more of a "oh well" or "It would have been even more cooler if"....

I still use my 300 and say from time to time, Damn, these guy are good, it's like they read my mind, when I see or use some of the stuff.

This is not directed at anyone on this MB, or anything. Just thinking outloud and know that there is a lot more negitive feed back then posisitve, it's just human nature I guess. I just wanted to show my respect and put out some good vibes toward HS. I guess I kinda think that it's my kind of comapany, feel like family because they have some good ideas and IMO, should be icons in the PDA Smartphone arena. Like Apple, something just didn't click right with the average joe. Apple, like HS, is ahead of it time, I guess they make it, people start to come around and then the others improve on it and reap, while they plug away with the next brainchild...

Sorry for the rant and hope I didn't come across as a loon or anything. Regards, Matt

So I guess I mau add the Treo600 to the list..
    Visor Pro to a Visor Edge then to a Treo300 and looks like the 600 is next
    Originally posted by KC75205
    I have always owned either a wired mobile phone for car...or the motorola starport flip phone in order to keep the antenae as far from ear as possible....(friend died of brain tumor from cell phone use)

only reason I bot the treo 300 over others when I went to pda/phone combo was the flip style that kept the antenae 5 inches from head...the new 600 will put it within 3/4 inch of head....pretty silly if you ask me....

I will not upgrade for that reason...
    --------
    I'm with you KC, but one reason I went with the 270 and moved from Sprint to T-Mobile was because the 300 had significantly higher SAR levels than the 270. You can look it up or search for a post from me from last August or so. BTW, most TC readers seem to prefer denial or profer counter views (mostly the "no definitive proof" kind). I'm not surprized since US "interests" tend to ignore (generously speaking) FCC testing. CNET covered this pretty well until a couple of years ago, but for some reason they killed it.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I for one am going to wait until any evidence that ever-so-gentle heating caused by cell phone radiation is of any harm. Seems like nothing worth getting into a fuss over, if you ask me.
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    It had more then I thought it would (MP3 play back, memeory slot(could this be the future Springboard, there is a rumored Bluetooth card for it correct?)
    This is nothing new. It has an SD card slot. These have been around for a few years now. Even the Treo 90 had one. An SD bluetooth card has been around for about a year now too. It is OS 5 drivers that actually need to come out.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    [i]dstrauss wrote:

As someone who hates clamshell form factors (the T300 is my first and last one), I can only say that having no flip lid is a feature, not a bug. The best lid is no lid. The best protection for the exposed screen is a case. After scratching some of the paint off the 300's flip cover, it became even more obvious that the protection the cover offers, itself, needs protection!

Aesthetically and ergonomically, I've never understood the advantage of a clamshell phone. It keeps the speaker cocked at an angle from the plane of the ear, it makes you go through the unnecessary action of opening the phone just to use it, it introduces a breakable joint, and it reduces the length of the phone by adding to the depth. Needless to say, I couldn't be happier with the new form factor.
    I dunno about you, dstrauss, but for me, I'd much rather crack the lid then crack the screen... so there IS a use for lids for me. As to clamshell form factor, it is to put the mic closer to your mouth while putting the speaker closer to your ear.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12