1.    #1  
    What is the best GPS for the treo 300 and a laptop. I would like to use it on both.
    Hi
    I use this thread ...
    I am looking for a cable to connect my Treo 90 with a Garmin 12XL.
    I have read about serial problem; is it true?
    I have found a site (now I don't remember the address) who sell serial cable for Treo/GPS but says that these don't work with a lot of mapping program.
    In my opinion, I need a serial cable + a null adaptor + a serial cable to the Garmin. Is it enough?
    About sw, I like GPS Pilot, because I need maps of particular places (african deserts or aussie outback) and so the solution like Mapopolis and TomTom are not for me.
    Please, help me!
    Thanks
  3.    #3  
    You can go to www.pcables.com to get a cable and you are right that they said not all software works with the treo. I do not know if this is true. I am using the XMap for the handheld by DeLorme. I do not know yet if it will work with that software on the treo 300 but I will try it and see.

The software runs on the treo 300 so far but I do not have the GPS part working because I do not have a cable to try it. Well get one soon and see if it works.
  4. jmw
    Originally posted by akko69
    Hi
    I use this thread ...
    I am looking for a cable to connect my Treo 90 with a Garmin 12XL.
    I have read about serial problem; is it true?
    I have found a site (now I don't remember the address) who sell serial cable for Treo/GPS but says that these don't work with a lot of mapping program.
    In my opinion, I need a serial cable + a null adaptor + a serial cable to the Garmin. Is it enough?
    About sw, I like GPS Pilot, because I need maps of particular places (african deserts or aussie outback) and so the solution like Mapopolis and TomTom are not for me.
    Please, help me!
    Thanks
    I have researched this when i tried to connect my Garmin emap to my treo.

The Treo has a funky serial port that draws power from the device it's connected to. Unless the other device powers certain pins, the serial port will not work. Most GPS's serial ports do not power these pins. Laptops and desktops do, which is why you can connect your treo to them.

However, you can make (or possibly buy) a cable that contains a 9 volt battery (or possibly other kind of battery) that will power the serial port on the treo. I made one myself, and it works (even though it's really ugly and rather delicate).

This only solves the hardware problem. I have no idea what you plan to do with software, but at least it will be theoretically possible with the right cable.
    Good luck.