1.    #1  
    My treo has an awful loud feedback sound when I get an alert (voicemail or email). It is as if the earphone and microphone come on when the alert rings (the lid is closed, and the sound stops as soon as I lift the lid, even a just a fraction)... it is very loud and annoying. Anyone else have this issue?
    Try going into the Phone app, Ringer Preferences, Tones tab and set Message Tone to off as well as trying Voicemail Tone to off
    I had it. Do you use TreoHelper? The problem originated with it, I think. If not, at least it was solved when I changed a few settings in it.
    Been there, done that. See this thread, and this one.

I think some people with non-defective Treos have been reporting similar problems due to ringtone managers, so you might want to try a hard reset first and see if the problem goes away.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the links... I couldn't find anything on a search, so I posted my own thread. Sorry for the repeat.

Yesterday I exchanged my handset because it would not stay on the network, so the feedback problem may not exist on my new one. BTW the service at the Sprint store in downtown Baltimore was great.
    Originally posted by chewbacca nine
    My treo has an awful loud feedback sound when I get an alert (voicemail or email). It is as if the earphone and microphone come on when the alert rings (the lid is closed, and the sound stops as soon as I lift the lid, even a just a fraction)... it is very loud and annoying. Anyone else have this issue?
    On mine, if the System, Preference, System Sound is set to LOUD, I get the feedback. As long as it's on MEDIUM, it works fine.
    My old 300 didn't have the feedback when I first got it, but then over time it started doing it. I didn't have any software installed that had to do with the ringer, and lowering the volume didn't help.

Exchanged my unit for a new one at Circuit City a few weeks back because the HotSync connector had become flakey, and the new unit has never had any feedback.