1.    #1  
    I'm a victim of AOL decision to cancel AOL's AIM RIM service. http://devices.aol.com/mobile/

I'm looking for a full-time internet connection for AIM like I had on my RIM.

Anybody using AIM on a 300?

I have used AIM on my Handspring Prism with a 802.11b card.
    Seemed to work ok. But RIM has a better form factor.

Be willing to consolidate to a 300 if AIM is working well.

-John
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I'm really happy with Verichat--supports AIM and other instant messaging standards. If you're on it a lot, battery life could be an issue. We can't use AIM at work on our PCs, Treo fills in nicely.
    I installed AIM for palm OS on my treo and it works fine with Sprint. I found the download on the British AOL site... for some reason the USA site does not have the app.
    Have been using verichat for about 2 weeks now (trial version 1.82) on my 180 and it works great. Keeps up with msn, aim and icq, also does yahoo but I don't use that feature. Battery life is an issue, however I am not sure if verichat is the culprit, since I use tmobile I have to stay logged into the internet all the time for verichat to connect. So far I haven't found another way to connect to icq. However maybe another option (has worked for me) is to use aim through sms. I am not sure if it will work through sprint (cdma) but works fine on GSM.

This may help, ? http://www.aim.com/wireless/pdfs/spr..._UG_sprint.pdf

TD
    I've been using AIM for Palm v1.1 (build 5) for about 4 months now with nary a problem.
    Have another suggestions, to get the "always on" illusion without paying for Verichat, I have set up my AIM profile to send me a SMS whenever someone tries to IM me, which then tells me to log into my AIM software on the Treo and IM away !
  7.    #7  
    OK...Thanks for the posts.

More questions about Sprint service:

Can you be on the phone and use AIM at the same time?

Do you get log off for being inactive?

I work in the field all day. I go in and out of coverage.
    Can you auto-login once your back in service area?

How long will the battery last if your log in to AIM all day(16 hrs)
    not counting voice use?

Sprint has unlimited internet access? Even as a modem
    for your laptop? WOW! What a bargain.

Any Billing hassles with internet access?

Verizon wants $80 month unlimited just for data or $0.10 a message sent. What CEO thought of this plan?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $cannot$ $talk$ $on$ $the$ $phone$ $while$ $you$ $are$ $logged$ $onto$ $the$ $internet$. $If$ $you$ $are$ $using$ $the$ $internet$ $your$ $call$ $goes$ $to$ $voicemail$. $The$ $battery$ $probably$ $won$'$t$ $make$ $it$ $for$ $16$ $hours$ $if$ $you$ $are$ $online$ $all$ $day$.
    I have had the Treo 300 on Sprint for about a month and have only minor issues with the device or the service. I am in Baltimore. I am very happy with the ease of getting on the internet, using the Business Connect software to sync with Outlook, etc. The Sprint data plan is unlimited use for $10 a month. The Business Connect is another $5. This is a great deal, I check my email constantly, use AIM, etc... I love this thing.
    Be careful, my understanding is that the Sprint unlimited data plan does not apply when using your phone as a modem for a pC... check other posts on the boards.
    This may or may not help you, depending on your future needs, but Tmobile now has all you can eat internet (full not wap, use it any way you want) for $19.99 mo.
    from what i have heard, it actually cost 40 cents a minute to use it as a modem on your laptop
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by sprintpcstech
    from what i have heard, it actually cost 40 cents a minute to use it as a modem on your laptop

Reallly? I saw this on using Pda Net as a modem for your laptop.

"PdaNet usage is treated as wireless data usage the same as usage from the Blazer browser. Air minutes (phone usage) will not apply"

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/faq.php#charge

Has Sprint changed this?
    sprint has found a way to track the difference and have seperate charges for modem use. this was in another thread.
    Originally posted by sprintpcstech
    sprint has found a way to track the difference and have seperate charges for modem use. this was in another thread.
    Sprintpcstech,

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Sprint$ $has$ $not$ $been$ $enforcing$ $this$ $unless$ $you$ $go$ $overboard$ $with$ $downloads$ $etc$. $There$ $are$ $literally$ $thousands$ $of$ $Sprint$ $users$ $of$ $various$ $models$ $using$ $their$ $phones$ $as$ $modem$ $for$ $laptops$. $Will$ $Sprint$ $now$ $begin$ $enforcing$ $the$ $$0$.$40$/$minute$ $rule$?
    i have no idea how sprint charges people, i dont deal with it. i just read in another thread that a guy had an outrageous bill due to using his phone as a modem.