1.    #1  
    This tool is so close, but it could afford to lose the camera. or at least a way of disabling it. i travel for business and most companies i go to do not allow cameras onsite and that includes cell phones with cameras. Is there going to be a camera-less version
    Originally posted by jbletheby
    Is there going to be a camera-less version
    While I obviously cannot predict the future, I seriously dout HS will release two different verisons (w/ and w/o a camera). Camera's are the new, "cool" thing in the cell phone market and HS wants to be right in the middle of that.
    I'm with you. I have no use for one, though I can't think of where I'd personally have difficulty bringing one in (to a "secure" facility")
    As we all have acknowledged, Sprint has certainly had input as to what goes and doesn't go on this phone (no flip to break, for instance). And we know that Sprint has invested a great deal in their network to allow for pictures to be sent over it.
    So, my guess is that was a Sprint add-on.
    And, as Handspring tries to widen the base of consumers who'll want a 600, they may have thought about those who really like a camera.
    Originally posted by Marty1781

While I obviously cannot predict the future, I seriously dout HS will release two different verisons (w/ and w/o a camera). Camera's are the new, "cool" thing in the cell phone market and HS wants to be right in the middle of that.
    While my first instinct agreed with this sentiment, I think think that HS would be smart to be planning for a wider range product line based on a basic achitecture. Since, as we see here every day, there are varying tastes, needs and expectations from a smart phone, HS woiuld stand to benefit most if they catered to more than one segment.

Trying to find the perfect sweet spot to hit with one product is not a very good long-term strategy for survival.

Of course this comes with high initial investment, but I believe it could be done right, based on a sound architectural core that supports more than one type of device, such that the cost of producing more than one product isn't prohibitive.

Furthermore, joining with Palm gives the combined company more depth and leverage to be able to take such a step. The buyout was reportedly months in negotiation. With both companies having great interest in the communicator market, I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing a wide(r) range of smart phones coming out of the new company.

It really seems to be the only sensible way to go.
    Originally posted by jbletheby
    This tool is so close, but it could afford to lose the camera. or at least a way of disabling it. i travel for business and most companies i go to do not allow cameras onsite and that includes cell phones with cameras. Is there going to be a camera-less version
    I feel for you, but get used to it. We are on the brink of videophones being the norm and Handspring can't ignore that. Sprint, for one, won't let them, as their picture messages were one of the first out of the bag. The ability to send picture messages will likely be a standard in all of their higher priced phones. I'm surprised that it isn't a video phone.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    Originally posted by silverado

While my first instinct agreed with this sentiment, I think think that HS would be smart to be planning for a wider range product line based on a basic achitecture. Since, as we see here every day, there are varying tastes, needs and expectations from a smart phone, HS woiuld stand to benefit most if they catered to more than one segment.

Trying to find the perfect sweet spot to hit with one product is not a very good long-term strategy for survival.

Of course this comes with high initial investment, but I believe it could be done right, based on a sound architectural core that supports more than one type of device, such that the cost of producing more than one product isn't prohibitive.
    Oh I totally agree that offering a variety of options is the way to go. Unfortunately, I just don't see that happening with the Treo 600. I hope I am wrong though.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I, too, was in the, "Why in clude a camera" group. However, last Friday I was attending my daughter's 6th grade commencement (Can you believe they actually do this for 6th graders now ???), and, in the rush, left my camera at home. It sure would've been great if my Treo had one built in.
    Why a camera? See, now you're just trying to confuse me.

Hammer [Groucho Marx]: ... Now here is a little peninsula, and here is a viaduct leading over to the mainland.
    Chico: Why a duck?
    Hammer: I'm all right. How are you? I say here is a little peninsula, and here's a viaduct leading over to the mainland.
    Chico: All right. Why a duck?
    Hammer: I'm not playing Ask-Me-Another. I say, that's a viaduct.
    Chico: All right. Why a duck? Why a--- why a duck? Why-a-no-chicken?
    Hammer: I don't know why-a-no-chicken. I'm a stranger here myself. All I know is that it's a viaduct. You try to cross over there a chicken, and you'll find out why a duck. It's deep water, that's viaduct.
    Chico: That's-why-a-duck?
    Hammer: Look ... Suppose you were out horseback riding and you came to that stream and wanted to ford over there, you couldn't make it. Too deep.
    Chico: But what do you want with a Ford when you gotta horse?
    Hammer: Well, I'm sorry the matter even came up. All I know is that it's a viaduct.
    Chico: Now look ... all righta ... I catcha on to why-a-horse, why-a-chicken, why-a-this, why-a-that. I no catch on to why-a-duck.
    Hammer: I was only fooling. I was only fooling. They're going to build a tunnel in the morning. Now, is that clear to you?
    Chico: Yes. Everything---excepta why a duck.
    actually, the funniest thing i ever heard about cameras in phones was that what you would have would be thousands of pictures taken inside teenager's pants being phoned around the world...

that said, though i think it will be several generations before i replace my nikon coolpix with a phone camera, there were definitely times when i wished i had a camera but all i had with me was my treo...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    For those of you complaining about a camera because of 'security issues', why don't you just cover up the lens, paint the lens black, or break the lens with a hammer (whatever meets your required 'security' standards). Either that, or buy something else. To expect Hanspring to offer a camera-less version is unlikely.

...putting on flack-jacket now..........
    Originally posted by wcarlson40
    For those of you complaining about a camera because of 'security issues', why don't you just cover up the lens, paint the lens black, or break the lens with a hammer (whatever meets your required 'security' standards). Either that, or buy something else. To expect Hanspring to offer a camera-less version is unlikely.

...putting on flack-jacket now..........
    As I was reading this thread I was kind of wondering that myself. But I wasn't sure if I could suggest that and have it come out the benign way I mean it.
    won't let you bring in cell phones either.

We had a bunch of kids from kids church sing in the adult service a few weeks ago. Of course, all of the parents were snapping away taking pictures.

90% of them were using phones with cameras.

I don't really need or want a camera on my Treo, but the buying public does.