1.    #1  
    Does anyone have a link or documentation on what the various fields within TreoHelper do?
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Funny you should post this - I was about to ask the same thing. Someone help, please (potatoho?)!
    If you guys did a simple search on the forum for "treohelper" you would find this:

http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html

and this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ght=treohelper
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    If you guys did a simple search on the forum for "treohelper" you would find this:

and this:

I've already seen the first web site you posted, and there are no help files or descriptions there - only a screen shot. Did you even look at the site? And I already did a search and skimmed through the thread you listed, but didn't see anything (although I may have missed it because there were so many pages). Hopefully someone else can provide a more useful answer.
    I don't really have a good answer. TreoHelper is an amalgam of features from various programs. It does phone on/off scheduling, SMS triggering, network quality monitoring (though this is more specific to the Treo 300).

As for usage of the program, I don't have any real documentation other than the source code and the help section in the app. Rather outdated. I'm always have to tweak something and it's driving me a little nutso. Luckily I have voodoo reception here and I get to see all of the test cases within 24 hours or so.

Hopefully 90% of the program will be obsolete in two days when Sprint releases the newer firmware. Yay!!! I hope to not have to use the dropnet stuff, and maybe the phone off stuff, etc etc. The reality is, that it's all just work-arounds for Sprint problems.

There are some generic things which are useful in TreoHelper. Some of which are rather spotty on the GSM models, partially because I don't have a physical device to test, and partially because frankly the GSM devices have some freakin weird issues.

If you look at the sources, the treohelper.rcp file has a section where I describe most of the general tab features.

I have to keep track of some stuff which is broken. Due to a GSM weirdness I'm not able to register for phone service class events without farking up the handsfree answer/hangup. Yet to support handsfree auto-dial I must register for phone service class events in order to detect the handsfree button. Several catch-22 situations like that with the GSM devices. Though I'm not convinced that all GSM devices have the handsfree problem, so that's why I still have the option available to them. But if you change either the "auto-ok" option or the "handsfree auto-dial (under Fun category)" then you must reboot to have it register for phone service class events.

I forget, what was the original question? Which fields are you having a problem with. I think some of them are kinda terse because I wanted to fit more on the screen.
  6.    #6  
    Using potatoho's suggestion, I took the treohelper.rcp file and extracted the relative information out of it and reformatted it for easier viewing.

Hope this helps others. I know it made things clearer for me.

"SignalQuality() is the result of the same-named function in PhoneLib.

"GetPhoneCallStatus() is a bitmap which shows what type of calls are "\
    "active. It can be a mixture of these bits:
    "0x00000001 voice line1
    "0x00000002 voice line2
    "0x00000004 data
    "0x00000008 GPRS/CDMA(grey)
    "0x00000010 CDMA(green)

"'Enable phone on reset' causes the phone to be turned on whenever the "\
    "device is reset. It also uses your on/off schedule to determine if "\
    "it's appropriate.

"Day/Week times can be specified. N/A means to not perform an action, "\
    "for example, N/A as an off-time means to not turn it off. It keeps "\
    "the Day & Week times separate, so an easy way to disable your schedule "\
    "is to move over to the Day setting, and set them both to N/A.

"'Stay on (lid close) if net active' is convenient if you are using a "\
    "wireless application and you want to close the lid without dropping "\
    "the connection. It tests the 0x00000010 call status for that, which "\
    "may be different on a GSM device.

"'Auto-Off (lid close)' sets the system preference for the auto-off "\
    "period while the lid is closed. The default is 30 seconds. Note: this "\
    "is a Handspring preference, and as such it will remain set even if "\
    "this application is uninstalled.

"'Phone off if no coverage' can be used to turn off the phone when it "\
    "loses signal for a certain period of time. This can be a work-around "\
    "for firmware bugs, such as the inability to regain a signal after a "\
    "few minutes of loss. Also it can prevent battery drain if you "\
    "accidentally leave the phone on while in poor reception. The network "\
    "search mode of the phone is battery intensive.

"'Max tries etc' is a setting for the above situation. When we shut "\
    "off the phone due to signal loss, we allow it to be automatically turned "\
    "back on at specified intervals. You set the interval and the maximum "\
    "number of times it should try to turn the phone back on.

"'Drop net (xxx arrows)' is an option (currently for 300 only) to allow "\
    "for the 3G connection to
    "be dropped, in two different situations. Grey arrows are while the "\
    "3G connection is idle, which is mostly harmless. However, there have "\
    "been users who suggest that even an idle 3G connection can cause battery "\
    "drain while in a poor coverage area. So setting the 'Drop net' for grey "\
    "is a way to shut down the 3G connection if it's been idle. Green arrows "\
    "indicate that the 3G is currently active. The 'Drop net' option for "\
    "green arrows can be used if you suspect that the radio is 'stuck' in "\
    "transmit mode for too long.
    "'Drop net (no coverage)' is interesting. Some users have suggested "\
    "that a turbo drain mode (on the 300) can be caused by the 3G connection "\
    "being active during a signal loss condition. This option is for "\
    "testing this hypothesis. So far I have seen some success by using this "\
    "option, say set for 10 seconds, whereas I have seen no improvement with "\
    "the other 'Drop net' options.

"'Auto-OK Connection Progress Dlg' is the newest option. There are times "\
    "when logging into the wireless system will fail. These are harmless as "\
    "you may always try again. However, they leave a useless dialog on the "\
    "screen which can block other UI activities. This option recognizes when "\
    "a failure during login occurs, and it dismisses the dialog. There are "\
    "some conditions when it will not work however. Such as if the phone "\
    "is currently off. A failure dialog at that point will not be dismissed. "\
    "Hopefully this can work in the future. It's my first attempt, sorry.
    Originally posted by potatoho
    I don't really have a good answer. TreoHelper is an amalgam of features from various programs. It does phone on/off scheduling, SMS triggering, network quality monitoring (though this is more specific to the Treo 300).

As for usage of the program, I don't have any real documentation other than the source code and the help section in the app. Rather outdated. I'm always have to tweak something and it's driving me a little nutso. Luckily I have voodoo reception here and I get to see all of the test cases within 24 hours or so.

Hopefully 90% of the program will be obsolete in two days when Sprint releases the newer firmware. Yay!!! I hope to not have to use the dropnet stuff, and maybe the phone off stuff, etc etc. The reality is, that it's all just work-arounds for Sprint problems.

There are some generic things which are useful in TreoHelper. Some of which are rather spotty on the GSM models, partially because I don't have a physical device to test, and partially because frankly the GSM devices have some freakin weird issues.

If you look at the sources, the treohelper.rcp file has a section where I describe most of the general tab features.

I have to keep track of some stuff which is broken. Due to a GSM weirdness I'm not able to register for phone service class events without farking up the handsfree answer/hangup. Yet to support handsfree auto-dial I must register for phone service class events in order to detect the handsfree button. Several catch-22 situations like that with the GSM devices. Though I'm not convinced that all GSM devices have the handsfree problem, so that's why I still have the option available to them. But if you change either the "auto-ok" option or the "handsfree auto-dial (under Fun category)" then you must reboot to have it register for phone service class events.

I forget, what was the original question? Which fields are you having a problem with. I think some of them are kinda terse because I wanted to fit more on the screen.
    Would it be possible to add an option to TreoHelper to turn off the flashing LED on the Treo 300? Would save a bit on battery and then the damn blinking light wouldn't be visable at night on my nightstand! (It's pretty bright once you've got your night vision)!

Just a suggestion!

Stuart.
    Sorry, that can't happen. You cannot control the light unless wireless mode is off.
    Originally posted by millerhifi

and this:

I think its good that there is now another thread devoted to TreoHelper. The fact of the matter is that you are wrong, there is no simple search regarding finding the answers in the mentioned TreoCentral link....not when a thread becomes that long.
    Originally posted by enagel
    Does anyone have a link or documentation on what the various fields within TreoHelper do?
    Does anyone have documentation that tells what files to install?
    thanks
    treohelper.prc -- the rest is the source code.