Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've read stuff all over the net about the TREO 600 but have seen ZERO words that would imply someone actually tried it out "online".

Has anyone tried it out online?

I'm not talking about seeing SOMETHING on the screen - I'm talking about actually surfing over to a random web site, THEN seeing something on the screen, etc.

(that would require actually using a cell connection, ISP, Blazer or whatever, etc)
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    I've read stuff all over the net about the TREO 600 but have seen ZERO words that would imply someone actually tried it out "online".

I'm not talking about seeing SOMETHING on the screen - I'm talking about actually surfing over to a random web site, THEN seeing something on the screen, etc.

(that would require actually using a cell connection, ISP, Blazer or whatever, etc)
    Out of the 3 ppl who said they have held one, none of them ever mention surfing the web ot even having the time to do so.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I haven't, since I don't own one, but I know people who do. They like it and go to news portals mostly. I have seen friends' family web pages on it. It's not bad. The experience sort of reminds me of early ISP endeavors like Prodigy and AOL. Seeing other people surf on their treos is what gave me convergence envy to begin with.

Edit: oops, sorry, total brain phart, I was thinking you were asking about Treos in general. I of course was referring to the 300, NOT the 600. Aack, time for a caffeine refresher.
    No one here has really surfed it for any length of time, but it was tried. See my similar question here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...&pagenumber=29

and the answer following...
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, I saw the tepid replies. Saying something like "No, I didn't surf but read that someone else did" or "No, I didn't surf but I saw someone else access a web page" just doesn't hack it, IMHO.

Well - here's hoping that the NEXT "reviewer" of the TREO 600 actually goes on line with it!

Otherwise, you know, reviewing a color PDA would be as meaningful.

(since what was seen was undoubtedly a yet-to-be-finalized prototype, it makes TOTAL sense that going online either isn't going to happen at all or is going to happen under very special circumstances (such as some form of FCC-temporary permit or maybe even using a previously-approved radio module that has nothing to do with what will ultimately be in the device). It also is a reasonable explanation why Walt Mossberg isn't even going to get a review device for weeks, yet)
    It also is a reasonable explanation why Walt Mossberg isn't even going to get a review device for weeks, yet)
    how do you know this about walt?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  7.    #7  
    That's a very good question!

I read SOMEWHERE something like "someone said that someone said that Walt Mossberg would be getting a review unit in N weeks". Doing a search on TreoCentral doesn't turn that up so maybe it was on a Yahoo financial board like HAND or PALM (neither of which can be searched). In any case, whereever I read it (probably Yahoo) it was posted within the last few days (week max).

So take THAT particular thought from my fingers with a grain of salt!

(of course, whoever DID say "someone said that someone said etc..." should also be taken with a grain of salt!)
    Yeah, I saw the tepid replies. Saying something like "No, I didn't surf but read that someone else did" or "No, I didn't surf but I saw someone else access a web page" just doesn't hack it, IMHO.

Well - here's hoping that the NEXT "reviewer" of the TREO 600 actually goes on line with it!

Otherwise, you know, reviewing a color PDA would be as meaningful.

(since what was seen was undoubtedly a yet-to-be-finalized prototype, it makes TOTAL sense that going online either isn't going to happen at all or is going to happen under very special circumstances (such as some form of FCC-temporary permit or maybe even using a previously-approved radio module that has nothing to do with what will ultimately be in the device). It also is a reasonable explanation why Walt Mossberg isn't even going to get a review device for weeks, yet)
    What are you trying to learn from whether someone surfed with it?

We have apparently seen two different versions of a new Treo: the one with Jeff Hawkins and the one that was shown at the Sprint show. Why do you think that the one seen in the Sprint show is "undoubtedly a yet-to-be-finalized prototype"?
    Originally posted by silverado

What are you trying to learn from whether someone surfed with it? . . . Why do you think that the one seen in the Sprint show is "undoubtedly a yet-to-be-finalized prototype"?
    I saw someone access the internet with it. He accessed his business' web site. I did not "surf" the internet because i was interested in getting all the other info i got about it. His stating that it was unable to access the internet is totally unfounded, if not an outright lie.

If he doesnt want to accept my word, then so be it.

Why does he want it to be a prototype without internet capabilities? purely financial motives : go to yahoo's HAND message board. I think he is now wanting to start a rumor the treo 600 will not be released on time. If that's not his motive then i dont know what it is.
  10.    #10  
    It is undoubtedly a prototype for the VERY simple reason that if it were not, HAND would publically have specs out, show it on their web site, be talking about it on CNBC, and there would be widespread right-from-the-horse's-mouth pictures and words about it on every single smartphone site you could find.

Of course.

(and to posit further - I bet even the form-factor isn't final "yet" (*), much less the internals)

((*) "yet" in this case means "as of the already-concluded public displays")
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    If the unit is
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    If the unit is not in the FCC right now I doubt they will come out in September. I believe Handspring likes the October Launch time frame. If Jeff H had a unit with him , it has to certain degree of operational functionality to it, if not why? would he be carrying it around at high level presentations. In addition Sprint and T Mobile need 3 month for network testing and in addition the whole packaing and distribution takes time. Will see if Handspring is not playing a Microsoft tactic here, announce something way before to make buyers wait
    It is undoubtedly a prototype for the VERY simple reason that if it were not, HAND would publically have specs out, show it on their web site, be talking about it on CNBC, and there would be widespread right-from-the-horse's-mouth pictures and words about it on every single smartphone site you could find.

Of course.

(and to posit further - I bet even the form-factor isn't final "yet" (*), much less the internals)

((*) "yet" in this case means "as of the already-concluded public displays")
    This argument doesn't elevate your theory to the undoubtful status. I would say that they'd be stupid if they announced it the way you are describing. Because then no one would buy their existing Treo's. They are not Samsung, with many other products on the market. They have exactly TWO products that would see sales plummet if they announced the next version as you suggest.

I accept craigdts' characterization as your likely motives. You and I have had discussions here before in which you acted just as sure of certain things based on what you described as very experienced analysis of earnings conference calls, and many (if not all) turned out to be wrong. One good thing that comes to mind is that you were adamant that there will NOT be another co-branded Treo (a la Sprint) before a new model comes out. Weeks later T-Mobile started selling the 270 with their name on it.
    Last edited by silverado; 06/15/2003 at 02:04 PM.
    Not seldom visitor, but seldom consenter.
  15.    #15  
    W.r.t. the personal attacks - take them over to Yahoo. Let's keep THIS message board oriented SOLELY to known facts about TREO ==devices==, not (incorrectly) presumed facts about TREO posters.

By this note, I formally request TreoCentral editors to edit out the personal attack messages.

======

Having said that, the original of this particular thread was "inspired" by a series of discussions elsewhere about Walt Mossberg and what he possibly would say about the new TREO communicator. Someone somewhere (I regret lack of memory) said that Mossberg wasn't even going to get a review model for WEEKS (maybe even 8 weeks, I think, meaning MONTHS).

Well, a little history - 3 months or MORE before the original TREO 180 was available, Mossberg had an amazingly superlative review of it.

Yet Mossberg doesn't have his mitts on the new communicator and won't til, what, late August according to whomever said that?

Ya wanna try doing a quickie bit of simple time-math and extrapolate things about the new communicator intro date?

That thought festered in my VERY interested head. Then it combined with what I very much read on this message board and the proverbial lightbulb brightly lit up with "Whoa!" and my question asking "Hey - waitaminute! What the heck did the minimal set of people who've said they've seen this thing ACTUALLY see!?".

Because if Mossberg ain't got one yet, NO ONE does.

Like I said - UNDOUBTEDLY a prototype.

BTW - there's NOTHING wrong with whatever was seen being a prototype! Not sure why people are viewing that SO negatively! And, yes, you are invited to reread every single word ==I've== written to see if those words are ANYTHING but FACT-finding. And if you think asking for facts means someone is NEGATIVE, you truly haven't a clue.

======

Speaking of not having a clue - it pretty much doesn't do Handspring any good to have the original TREOs sell right now because ==Handspring== has sold all they're going to sell. Right now, for example, Sprint - Handspring's biggest customer by far - is not buying anymore TREOs from Handspring (that factoid is RIGHT from the CEO herself); they are selling what they already bought - Handspring makes ZERO dollars off of those (note - yes, they make minimal dollars off their own web site sales - that's it). The same applies to the TREO 270 and T-Mobile et al.

Buzz is all Handspring gets out of current TREO model sales so it wouldn't hurt them at ALL financially to have that new TREO communicator up front and personal RIGHT NOW!

If it was ready.

(and if you don't want to believe any of this, check in on the next earnings call in a month and convince yourself)
    I just pointed out some FACTS. "Seldom consenter" is NOT a derogative word, it is just descriptive, IMHO. . so, I dont think I am attacking you.
    I don't know what you mean by personal attacks. This board doesn't present people, it presents nick names with ideas. I was arguing with the nickname and the ideas it presented.

I was responding to a pettern of consistent, extreme doubtfulness and negativity that, despite facts not supporting it as time goes by, just continues without, IMO, making much sense. To characterize what is posted under a name as biased one way or another is a single opinion that may be helpful to the rest of the readers AND is not personal.

Back to your explanation. You didn't mention Walt in your question or the first one or two responses. You focused on what you made sound like "suspicious" lack of evidence of surfing with the Treo.

What further facts were you trying to find in your fact-finding? That was my question. Craigdts said that he saw someone surf with it. So you either think craigdts (and others who said they saw people use it) are not telling the truth, or you're taking the fact that those others that surfed with it not being members of the boards you read as clear evidence that you can't surf the net with the device. Is that what you mean by having a clue?

Regarding the Walt issue, he wrote about the 180 early on at a time when HS didn't have communicators. They were promoting a whole new product line whose sales had no impact on their then existing other products. The situation is completely different.

Furthermore, Handspring, again, would be utterly stupid if they didn't care about whether their biggest clients (Sprint and T-Mobile) were left holding large numbers of unsold Treos. They spent a lot of effort developing these relationships and I am sure they care A LOT about whether Sprint makes money off of their phones or not. I am sure they are taking heat from both companies regarding the failure rate of the Treos and the last thing they want is to cause them further losses by hindering the sales of their stock of Treos.

By the way, I won't take you're saying that I haven't a clue as a personal attack
    Last edited by silverado; 06/15/2003 at 03:58 PM.
  18.    #18  
    > ...Someone somewhere (I regret lack of memory) said that
    > Mossberg wasn't even going to get a review model for WEEKS
    > (maybe even 8 weeks, I think, meaning MONTHS)...

Well, how about that!

I looked at past posts on Yahoo and found this:

-- http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN...5280&mid=65777

which mentions that the "Mossberg ain't gettin' one for months" words were from none other than craigdts right here on TreoCentral!

Gee - why not mention that, craigdts?

(BTW - can't find that particular TreoCentral post however have to admit I didn't reread all craigdts posts just to provide a link in this message...)
  19.    #19  
    Here's the link to craigdts' post noting that Mossberg won't be getting a demonstrator for a couple months - I'm sure he can clarify further if he wishes:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...&pagenumber=13

=====

Note - this is all of interest to me not because of the TREO itsefl but because of the underlying company, of course. Treocentral is a geek-oriented site and really should remain that way, IMHO, so I don't dwell on the horrendous fundamentals of HAND (and now PALM). May mention them from time to time but don;t dwelll on them!

"When" Mossberg does his review - if ever - is very important w.r.t. the corporations involved. Whether or not the shown new communicator is the final product or not is very important w.r.t. the corporations involved.

The TREOs are cool geek devices - but total financial failures. It certainly appears that this new communicator, too, will be a financial failure, IMHO, though it for sure is cool.

Note, part II - I'm the proud owner of two Commodore Amigas - used to have three - they were (and still are!) way cool geek devices. WAY WAY ahead of their time.

And total financial failures.

Amigas are no more - the underlying company is no more.

That's the interest I have in what's really been seen, who's really said what, what's real, what's not, what's prototype in FORM ==and==function.

And what's not.

Pretty sinister, eh?
    regarding the mossberg comment:

i was estimating that based upon when the rep told me i could email him and request a test model. he said (at the date of the conference) to wait 6-8 weeks and then email him and he would try to get one out to me (with the understanding i would be on the bottom of his list

. . . i was giving that detail so that HAND investors would have an idea of when it might be reviewed because at that point HAND's future depended on it (remember i emailed mossberg and he said he would do no review until he had tested it - note: that doesnt mean he will not comment on it).

i actually have no idea when mossberg will get one, but i assumed (and i think that it is safe) one would AT LEAST be made available to him the same time one was available to little ole me. That means the test models should be somewhere in late july/ early september.

When they told me sept/oct. release date. . . i'm thinking they are saying october. 1 guy said sept only, another (the 2nd one) said sept/oct.

anyways thats all i'll say on this subject because thats all i know.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast