1.    #1  
    Dear All,

One thing I haven't seen talked about much is using the Treo 600 as part of a multi-device solution. A number of us were eagerly awaiting the SE T608 with the idea of using it (via Bluetooth) with something like the Clie TG-50. Well now I'm thinking that the Treo 600 could work the same way (with a Bluetooth SDIO card). That way people complaining about the screen could go with a Palm or Clie (or Pocket PC for that matter) for work purposes, but leave the PDA behind when they are not necessary and still have a fully functional Palm device in the Treo 600 to enter contacts and appointments, etc. With Bluetooth everything would stay sync'ed and by using IMAP, email would work great on all your devices--Treo, PDA, computer(s).

I've pretty much given up on holding out for one device to replace my Treo 300, iPod, Gameboy Advance, digital camera, GPSr, etc. I think we'll have to carry along multiple devices for some time yet (for instance, until hard-drives are fully integrated a la the iPod). Considered this way--as one of several devices--the Treo 600's lack of a better screen, etc. needn't be so disappointing. It also makes the case for a slimmer more phone-like form factor more appealing, by considering the competition to be phones rather than PDAs. Of course it'll be much bigger than the T608, for instance, but I think that the trade-off is one I'd be willing to make. From the looks of it, using the Treo 600 won't be nearly as geeky looking as using the present Treos.

I think we'll have to accept the fact that we'll be carrying around several devices (if you want all this functionality--phone + music + camera + PDA + GPS + wireless modem) for a couple of years yet. Seen in this light, I think the Treo 600 is less disappointing than some folks here have made it out to be. I probably will not buy one right off the bat, but when the contract on my Treo 300 is up, I will probably go with the 600.

Comments? Suggestions?

Best,
    --Mathew
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I'd think that PDAnet or WirelessModem would enable this quite nicely, if the desktop portion of the application were translated to Palm OS and the connection made via Bluetooth rather than the USB/HotSync cable.
    Easy for me to say, of course, since I'm not writing the code. :-)
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    Well if you don't mind a larger form factor or Pocket PC operating system, the Samsung i-700 Pocket PC phone supposedly does "it all" very nicely according to happy users on other forums I've checked out. It's currently out only on Verizon & evidently not easy to get (I'll have to drop by and see if there are any in the local Verizon store), but will be coming to Sprint roughly the time we anticipate the Treo to be released. It has a good screen so that isn't much of an issue. Phone part of it is also reportedly good. Shortcomings include a slightly outdated processor and OS, but that may be remedied in the Sprint release, anticipated to have Pocket PC 2003 Phone Edition.

It's currently the alternative I'm considering to the Treo 600. I won't make a final decision until I get to actually hold both. The Samsung has a slight edge (for me personally) in its ability to do voice recording. The Treo may have the edge in form factor--and I really want the thumb board. The screens remain a question mark to me at this point.

It's either of those two for me at this point. I have no intention of ever going back to lugging around mulitiple devices. Or keeping both charged and updated, etc.

Oh, and no offense to anyone, but I've seen the word "bluetooth" so often in conjunction with "lack of built-in BT rants" at just about every PDA forum I visit, I'm starting to cringe when I hear or see that word. BT definitely seems high on the desired feature list, but again, for me personally, I see no point to it and think the all-in-ones are going to be fine the way they are.
    I used to think BT was not that big a deal, until I got a wireless BT headset...that has made a huge difference, and my next phone _must_ have it, and it's desired on PDA.

I think the rants are getting more vociferous because BT has been here a while, and vendor adoption, esp. on the phone side, has been very low. It also has low adoption on the laptop and PDA side (pda side is changing), again fueling the demand.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mathewlu

I've pretty much given up on holding out for one device to replace my Treo 300, iPod, Gameboy Advance, digital camera, GPSr, etc. I think we'll have to carry along multiple devices for some time yet (for instance, until hard-drives are fully integrated a la the iPod).
    --Mathew
    I really don't want one device to do all those things. For one, the battery would be gone quicker than you could blink, since you'd be constantly using that device. And it would have to be bigger to be of a good quality for all those things. Current phone cameras are nice, but they are gimmicks and hardly compare to a real digital camera.

I generally do *not* like convergance of devices. The Treo is one exception, for me.
    Well said, MikeC. I totally understand where you and the others are coming from and I do sympathize. As I myself have said ad nauseum to anyone who will listen I personally want and need a voice recorder option and I'm kind of bummed the TREO is not likely to have one (nor are other Palm PDA's I was drooling over), but I'll carefully evaluate the tradeoffs when the device is actually in my hand at the store.

It's just that every discussion thread for new handhelds seems to be turning into the "Aaaaggghhh it doesn't have BT" rant thread. From Clies to Pocket PC's to cell phones, every new model that comes out...umpteen posts follow of "Aaaaagghhh, it doesn't have BT, why doesn't it have BT, when will it have BT, make it have BT, I need BT, I want BT". I hear ya, I hear ya! Now I wish the flippin vendors would! It does beg the question of why adoption has been so low. Don't THEY hear the cries for BT?

As for cell phones with BT, actually if I don't get a convergence device, yes, I too would want BT in the cell phone and BT in the PDA so I could fetch my e-mail on the PDA or do some web browsing. I think a lot of people are moving to wanting some form of internet/e-mail connectivity in their PDA. It hardly seems enough to be a plain old PIM anymore. But I'd really rather not go that route of marrying a cell phone and PDA. I'm glad the Treo 600 and the SamSung SP-1700 will be coming to Sprint. I'll live with the trade-offs to have that convergence.

Someday, somebody somewhere will make my "everying plus the kitchen-sink" convergence device. Gameboy Advance was mentioned...you know, I was actually hoping the Treo 600 would be a bit like that. I like the Samsung SGH and SPH-i500 model designs, but in place of the keyboard, I would want the thumb-board. That was actually what I thought the 600 would be. I'd read somewhere it was supposed to look like a particular Motorola cell phone and that's what I had on the brain. Not the model we are actually seeing. But that's okay, I'm not disappointed...yet.

I guess there are just a lot of people very frustrated at the tradeoffs on recent arrivals and ones in the pipleline. I admit, this hasn't exactly been the most amazing time for handhelds. A LOT of highly anticipated new offerings in the Palm world have really caused serious disappointment. With the Tungsten C "Aaaaghhh, it doesn't play MP3 in stereo".

I think the PocketPC users are a bit of a happier bunch these days. They're all eagerly anticipating PPC 2003 and the new Ipaqs, among others. I'm a Pocket PC user myself, but I will happily make the switch to Palm if the Treo 600 turns out to be what I think it will be. And the allure of greater independence from a stylus appeals to me.
    Oh sorry, Mathew...your original question. I'll "settle" for craptacular (great word I saw used around here) camera + phone + PDA + music. I'll live without the modem, GPS, and gaming part of it for now, although I want GPS in a future device. As long as I can play a a few puzzle games and read e-book short stories while waiting in lines & have connectivity to e-mail and internet when needed, I'll be happy with it as regards the "extraneous" features. I DO need to have a digital camera with me most of the time. So, I usually carry my Canon or one of my cheapie cameras with me & don't anticipate giving up that habit.

But it's going to be great to have a backup camera on the Treo and the possibility of sending the photo immediately. I've missed many a shot when the batteries in the Canon crapped out on me and I couldn't shoot in the spares fast enough. Also, cell phone cameras are good for unobtrusive photos. (No, I'm not a freak who snaps photos of unsuspecting people in public!) I'm interested in architecture and design, and I love taking photos of old houses, to get ideas for the restoration of my own old house. But sometimes it understandably freaks homeowners out to see you whip out your camera and take a picture of their house. But I can see getting by with it on the Treo.

I am so looking forward to this Treo. That and the Samsung i-700. I can't wait to compare them. It's going to be so great to dump the PDA and phone tandem!
    Dear All,

One thing I haven't seen talked about much is using the Treo 600 as part of a multi-device solution. A number of us were eagerly awaiting the SE T608 with the idea of using it (via Bluetooth) with something like the Clie TG-50. Well now I'm thinking that the Treo 600 could work the same way (with a Bluetooth SDIO card). That way people complaining about the screen could go with a Palm or Clie (or Pocket PC for that matter) for work purposes, but leave the PDA behind when they are not necessary and still have a fully functional Palm device in the Treo 600 to enter contacts and appointments, etc. With Bluetooth everything would stay sync'ed and by using IMAP, email would work great on all your devices--Treo, PDA, computer(s).
    Well I think the whole reason for this smartphone concept is to decrease the number of devices you carry down to one. If you want to go for a separates approach, I don't think it would be hard to come up with some really compelling combinations. If you decide to use the Treo 600 as a part of a multi-device setup, for most people, you will be defeating the whole purpose of the smartphone. Most of us here want a one device solution and we want it to have the all the basic features most recent PDAs have nowadayas and that includes a 320x320 screen.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by Marty1781

Well I think the whole reason for this smartphone concept is to decrease the number of devices you carry down to one. If you want to go for a separates approach, I don't think it would be hard to come up with some really compelling combinations. If you decide to use the Treo 600 as a part of a multi-device setup, for most people, you will be defeating the whole purpose of the smartphone. Most of us here want a one device solution and we want it to have the all the basic features most recent PDAs have nowadayas and that includes a 320x320 screen.

I certainly understand that; I just don't think that it is practical at this time. As such, I am suggesting that the Treo 600, even with the 160^2 screen will potentially be quite attractive, once augmented with Bluetooth. Of course, we really will need to have one to play with before making a final judgment; I'm just suggesting that we Treo-philes not write it off before it even launches. (Not of course that any of this matters, but it's fun to speculate, I think).

Regards,
    --Mathew
    I just don't think that it is practical at this time. As such, I am suggesting that the Treo 600, even with the 160^2 screen will potentially be quite attractive, once augmented with Bluetooth.
    Practical or not, the all-in-one type design is what is going to draw the overwhelming majority of people who are going to buy it to the Treo 600 and why people are going to be willing to drop $300 - $500 on it. If you have to augment it with something like BT and another device, this pretty much defeats the purpose of the Treo 600. I don't know about everyone else, but if I am going to drop that kind of money on some device, I better not have to augment it with another device. If you want to do the mulit-device thing, there is no need to wait for the Treo 600, lots of great devices out there right now that you could combine to do the job. I think everyone here knows devices like the Treo 600 are not going to do the job as well as their separate counterparts and we are willing to make tradeoffs for only having to carry one device. But once you start talking about carrying more than one device, what's the point of making the tradeoffs and spending the extra money for that one device if you are going to have to add another to supplemement it. I don't think anyone expects all the latest and greatest technology that the separate counterparts have to make it into all-in-one devices like the Treo 600 but as some of that newer technology starts to pretty much become standard, I do not think it is unreasonable to expect devices like the Treo 600 to incorporate it.