Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The news has hit other discussion boards (PocketPCThoughts.com and HowardForums.com). There's a new plan available today where you can add unlimited GPRS data to any voice plan over $29 for just $20/month extra. At first I thought that this was a misunderstanding and someone was confusing it with the Danger Sidekick-specific plan, but others have confirmed it. There are no restrictions. If you had a Bluetooth phone, you could even use it with your laptop. Wow!

I have a Sprint Treo 300, but I figured I'd let you all in on the good news. Now you don't have to be jealous of us. Congratulations!

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    And, this is supposedly available for all devices…PDAs, Laptops w/ BT phones. No unlimited SMS though. If data rates are similar to Vision, this may be a viable option for me. Any 270/180 users want to comment on connection speed?
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by skfny
    And, this is supposedly available for all devices…PDAs, Laptops w/ BT phones. No unlimited SMS though. If data rates are similar to Vision, this may be a viable option for me. Any 270/180 users want to comment on connection speed?
    My understanding was that Sprint had an advantage in connection speeds. Now that they've opened up the floodgates here, one would think that speeds could suffer further. Unless, of course, they've implemented some new back-end equipment to deal with it all.

Scott
    Scott,
    That article on TC said that Sprint had a huge edge on connection speed. But I wonder if T-Mo has made things more competitive now. This could help Treo270 sales. I'm surprised there aren't more responses to this thread yet.
  5.    #5  
    I'm surprised there aren't more responses to this thread yet.
    I was wondering the same thing. Granted, I just posted this about 20 minutes ago, but if something this big hit the Treo 300 forum, there'd be a ton of responses by now. I wonder if T-Mobile Treo users got tired of waiting and switched to the Treo 300 already. As you say, this should be a boon to sales. If I was Handspring, I'd be updating my web site pronto with this info. Of course, I said the same thing when Sprint announced their unlimited plans and it took Handspring forever to make note of it on their site.

Scott
    This is great news! Finally some competition to the Sprint plans. So Scott, you've also got a sidekick right? I often go to hiptop.com but they never seem to come to any conclusion on pricing for that thing. I think there's a $39.99 sidekick with 500 minutes, unlim data+SMS, unlim nights/weekends. T-Mobile isn't helpful about it, but some people claim they got that deal from CompUSA. I'm confused..

http://hiptop.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5165
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by potatoho
    So Scott, you've also got a sidekick right?
    Nope. I'm just a geek who likes to keep informed of the goings-on around the tech world. I am tempted by it, but there are a few things I don't like as well (see my site for more info, as I posted a news blurb about the color Sidekick just recently). Regarding price plans, well it looks like the Sidekick is now just like every other phone they offer (or vice versa, depending on your perspective). You can get an unlimited data-only plan for $30/month or tack on unlimited data for $20/month to any voice plan priced $30/month (or higher).

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Regarding price plans, well it looks like the Sidekick is now just like every other phone they offer (or vice versa, depending on your perspective). You can get an unlimited data-only plan for $30/month or tack on unlimited data for $20/month to any voice plan priced $30/month (or higher).
    I dunno, I see lots of recent claims of color sidekick specific plans from compusa. I have one of the old b&w ones but I don't use it because t-mobile doesn't have service here.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by potatoho
    I dunno, I see lots of recent claims of color sidekick specific plans from compusa.
    That used to be the case. But with today's announcement I don't think there's any difference in plan prices.

Scott
    The new unlimited data plan beats anything else T-Mo has offered. I still stick with the Buddy plan add on for the unlimited SMS and T-Mo to T-Mo calling. I can do virtually anything on my 270 now....at very reasonable costs!
    I was wondering the same thing. Granted, I just posted this about 20 minutes ago, but if something this big hit the Treo 300 forum, there'd be a ton of responses by now. I wonder if T-Mobile Treo users got tired of waiting and switched to the Treo 300 already.

... snip...

Scott
    Sorry!!! I was busy finishing up some coding and documentation, before heading over to Treocentral while enjoying lunch.

Indeed, this is GREAT news. I'll be calling T-Mo soon to change my plan to take advantage.

Thanks for the 'heads up'.
    It's good news for sure...I'm just a bit underwhelmed because I'm currently on the $19.99 for 10 MB plan, and I've never gone over that limit. So my monthly cost stays the same, but I don't have to worry about staying under 10 MB...

I'll take it...but I'd actually prefer to pay $10 a month for 10 MB...
    well... start downloading email with attachments (snappermail), chatting with verichat or chatter, and browsing ... and you'll use up your MBs
    WOOOO HOOOO... Just signed up! It took a bit of persistance to convince them that I qualified for the $19.99 plan and not the $29.99 plan, but after about 5 minutes of phone tag.. I'm in!
    Maybe if i start opening up all my graphic-laden spam...

I wish I had a need for snappermail, as I was quite impressed by it...but I don't receive nearly enough worthwhile email to justify paying for it. I do browse and chat already...guess I'll just have to do more of both...
    Scott, you rock for bringing this to our attention...been waiting for this for a long, long time. Now let's just hope that they have made some backend improvements to handle the pending data flood.

-Joe
    Last edited by ExtraOrdinaryJo; 06/13/2003 at 10:26 AM.
    Terrific news for 270 owners. I just signed up myself (sure beats 50MB for $60/month)!

- m
    From the reading the threads over at HoFo, the new plans include 300 SMS and unlimited T-zones as well. Also, the data traffic occurs across two apns, internet2.voicestream.com and internet3.voicestream.com. Internet3 shows as VPN access, but you don't need VPN to use it. Most customers who sign up for the 5 MB or lower plans on internet2 and those with the 20 MB or greater plans on internet3...

Also, this is great news for gsm users. The one major factor that has kept me away from Tmo etc has been the lack of unlimited data. Now that this has bee resolved, all of a sudden the Samsung SGH-i500 + unlimited data looks quite compelling compared to the new Treo600 + vision. The only disadvantages are gprs slower speeds when compared to 1xrtt. But you can use Tmo unlimited gprs for pda/laptop unlike vision (however I doubt Sprint actually enforces this policy anyway), and SGH will be capable of international roaming. Hmmm...I'm gonna have lots of decisions once my Sprint contract ends in a three months! Can anyone compare T-mobile coverage in Fl compared to Sprint? Thanks...
  19.    #19  
    Florida's a pretty big place gfunk.

This news inspired me to do a bit more researching on GPRS phones yesterday. I found out some interesting tidbits that I never knew before. GPRS phones have a certain "class". Basically, the higher the number, the higher the speed that it's capable of. Although you can't go strictly by that either, because it also depends on how up-to-date your particular carrier's equipment is as well. But in any case, the Treo is only a GRPS class 2 device, I believe (which may be the worst/slowest). The Nokia 3650 is a class 6. The Sony-Ericsson P800 is either a class 8 or a class 10. Interestingly, the Danger Hiptop/Sidekick is a class 10, I think. I'm not sure what the T68i is (probably a 6).

There may be others lurking here that know a lot more about this than I do.

In any case, I think even the highest class devices are probably about the same speed as Sprint's network. So, once the T608 is priced right (what I've heard on Howard Forums is that it will probably be priced too high for me initially), I might still prefer to stick with Sprint and pair that to a Sony TG50, Palm TT2, or iPaq 1940.

Scott
    Florida's a pretty big place gfunk.
    LOL! Yes, I should have clarified by saying Central Florida!

This news inspired me to do a bit more researching on GPRS phones yesterday. I found out some interesting tidbits that I never knew before. GPRS phones have a certain "class". Basically, the higher the number, the higher the speed that it's capable of. Although you can't go strictly by that either, because it also depends on how up-to-date your particular carrier's equipment is as well. But in any case, the Treo is only a GRPS class 2 device, I believe (which may be the worst/slowest). The Nokia 3650 is a class 6. The Sony-Ericsson P800 is either a class 8 or a class 10. Interestingly, the Danger Hiptop/Sidekick is a class 10, I think. I'm not sure what the T68i is (probably a 6).

Yeah, the class of the device determines the speed at which GPRS can be used. For example, the majority of GPRS terminals will be able to download data at speeds of up to 24Kbps (kilobytes per second). At the higher end, speeds are possible up to 115kbps (172kbps?) when 8 slots are assigned at the same time to a single user. In reality 40-50Kbps (the AT&T Wireless GPRS network will transmit data only at 40kbps to 60kbps). Some PC cards capable of GPRS will send data up to speeds of 48Kbps. Class is written as (for example) 3+1 or 2+2. The first number indicates the amount of downlink timeslots (what the mobile phone is able to receive from the network). The second number indicates the amount of uplink timeslots (how many timeslots the mobile phone is able to transmit). Thus for example I've listed some notable smartphones etc for comparison:

Class 2 (2+1): 8-12Kbps Send - 16-24Kbps Receive.
    Examples: Treo 270 (May explain alot of the poor data transfer rates)

Class 4 (3+1): 8-12Kbps Send - 24-36Kbps Receive
    Examples: TimeportT260

Class 6 (3+2): 16-24Kbps Send - 24-36Kbps Receive
    Class 6 (2+3): 24-36Kbps Send - 16-24Kbps Receive
    Examples: Nokia 6310i etc

Class 8 (4+1): 8-12Kbps Send - 32-40Kbps Receive
    Example: Samsung SGH-i500, Siemens SL55

Class 10 (4+1): 8-12Kbps Send - 32-48Kbps Receive
    Class 10 (3+2): 16-24Kbps Send - 24-36Kbps Receive
    Example: Tungsten W, Samsung wrist watch, merlin G100 pcmcia etc

Class 12 (4+1): 8-12Kbps Send - 32-48Kbps Receive
    Class 12 (3+2): 16-24Kbps Send - 24-36Kbps Receive
    Class 12 (2+3): 24-36Kbps Send - 16-24Kbps Receive
    Class 12 (1+4): 32-48Kbps Send - 8-12Kbps Receive
    Examples: Sierra Wireless Aircard 750, GSM/GPRS PC Card

Then you also have to deal with whether its Class A, Class B or Class C!! Class A mobile phones can be connected to both GPRS and GSM services simultaneously. Class B mobile phones can be attached to both GPRS and GSM services, using one service at a time. Class C mobile phones are attached to either GPRS or GSM voice service, and you need to switch manually between services...

In any case, I think even the highest class devices are probably about the same speed as Sprint's network. So, once the T608 is priced right (what I've heard on Howard Forums is that it will probably be priced too high for me initially), I might still prefer to stick with Sprint and pair that to a Sony TG50, Palm TT2, or iPaq 1940.
    Regarding the speed of gprs vs 1xrtt, as I stated above, this has as much to do with the wireless network as class. CDMA 2000 1xrtt supports data packet transfer rates of 144 kbps while gprs supports up to 115kbps. Zdnet a while back wrote very nice chart comparing the various wireless transfer rates here. Thus, unless you got a class 10/12 gprs card like the Nokia D311, I would guess the performance via 1xrtt on the T608 would be greater. One also should note that BT only has a theoretical maximum speed is 1Mbps but on a one-to-one connection is reaches 721 Kb/s in one direction and 57.6Kbps in the other or 432.6Kbps in symmetric connections. This is fine for gprs etc but definitely will become a bottleneck for future 3G standard as well as wifi...

btw: gsmworld.com is a great source for those interested in more detailed info...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 06/12/2003 at 07:20 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast