Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    After downloading and getting over the fact that I could wirelessly connect to the internet on my laptop I of course had to know what my bandwidth was. I toured the normal sites for some speed tests and found that my speed was around 88-130k.

    I then decided to apply some tweaks to the registry to see if I could get the speed any higher... Holy $HI! I didn't think it could get any better, but I am now averaging around 222k - 280k on Cnets Bandwidth test....

    http://webservices.cnet.com/Bandwidth/

    Please do NOT try this if you are not familiar with making registry changes.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

    Apply a new DWORD parameter called TcpWindowSize, set it's value to 32767(decimal).

    Please post your averages under this thread, along with the different values that you tried.

    Enjoy!
  2. #2  
    The cnet bandwidth test uses images to test bandwidth speed. You saw that the first time you ran the test the Sprint proxy server was reading and downconverting the images. The second time I bet they were cached by Sprint check out the
    What does the bandwidth meter do? section
    http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/default1.asp
  3. #3  
    Try this instead of CNet: http://www.hexlet.com/Products/bmeter.html
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by richlee91
    The cnet bandwidth test uses images to test bandwidth speed. You saw that the first time you ran the test the Sprint proxy server was reading and downconverting the images. The second time I bet they were cached by Sprint check out the
    What does the bandwidth meter do? section
    http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/default1.asp
    Even that would be too fast, though. If it was cached by sprint, it still has to go the last mile through the air to your Treo. I bet it was cached by your browser, or perhaps even the Treo itself (though I find this highly unlikely).
  5. #5  
    The test is completely false. They images are smaller than the bandwidth test expects. So yes it appears to have faster bandwidth and the second time there is no overhead of the proxy server.
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by richlee91
    The test is completely false. They images are smaller than the bandwidth test expects. So yes it appears to have faster bandwidth and the second time there is no overhead of the proxy server.
    Why would they be smaller? He is running this from his laptop, not his Treo.
  7. #7  
    The proxy server makes the size of the images smaller by recompressing them. The actual size of the end image is the same (e.g. 120x240 pixels) but by recompressing the image it makes the size of the image "smaller"


    Hope this makes sense.
  8. #8  
    I believe your results exceed the maximum possible specs. for the CDMA transceiver in the Treo (if I remember correctly somewhere around 144KB).
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by richlee91
    The proxy server makes the size of the images smaller by recompressing them. The actual size of the end image is the same (e.g. 120x240 pixels) but by recompressing the image it makes the size of the image "smaller"


    Hope this makes sense.
    But my point is that this test doesn't use the proxy server. Again, he is using his laptop, not his Treo, to display the images. You are telling me that if I were to go to a site and download a 2400x1800 jpg using PDANet that it would be compressed down to Treo-size and then expanded again?
  10. #10  
    All traffic on port 80 goes through the proxy server. It doesn't matter if he's using his laptop or not.

    It's not reducing the pixels it's making the image "more lossy" less detail in the picture
  11. #11  
    Really, so two requests going to the same URL will come back with different data depending on if someone uses a normal ISP or PDANet through Sprint?
  12. #12  
    Yes as far as I know the html is the same. When http retrieves the images those are rendered down.

    If you surf to new sites using PDAnet you will notice that the images look a little off.
  13. #13  
    Hmph, learn something new every day. Neat.
  14. #14  
    You can look at the difference when you refresh the page using either Alt + F5 or Ctrl + F5, this will work for one time usuage if you want to see a picture sharper. It takes a little longer to come up but the pictures are sharper.
  15. #15  
    1. You can use the speed test on Sprint Broadband's web site here. May not be the best but not bad for comparison purposes.

    2. All the appropriate tweeks are located on dslreports tools section located here. Go to tweek tests, test your system and download the appropriate application to make modifications. Very simple and old hat to broadband users.

Posting Permissions