Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I'm making the switch (or step up if you will) and in search of a Treo 270. As a Cingular user in the Los Angeles area, I'd love to hear from anyone else using in similar circumstances about their experience and suggestions with rates/deals and coverage before I make the leap.

Thanks

Jalbert
    I've had my 270 on Cingular in L.A. for a year now and couldn't be happier with the coverage and service. I'm on there rollover 1000 nationwide plan w/1MB gprs.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    i've had no problems in LA. There are a few dead spots: Bel Air on the 405, Studio City on the 101, 101 and 5 interchange in downtown..but these are all very small pockets and easily avoided or dealt with. Most or all phones crap out somewhere in the hills, AT&T seems to be the best in the santa monica and hollywood hills, but CIngular isn't any worse than verioson or *gulp* sprint.

Cingular did screw up my bill once by not adding mobile to mobile minutes as I requested, and refused to adjust my bill to compensate but other than that they have been helpful and the service has worled well.

GPRS seems to work well in LA, I have not done a speed test, but it seems fast enough for my use. I use the 3MB plan from Cingular and I never exceed that, even checking e-mail on the hour and looking up addresses all the time online.
    very happy with the service except that GPRS times out. I believe Tmobile's GPRS is always on as it is suppose to. The bonus for Cingular is that they do not track data usage very well so I can get by with their cheapest data plan $7 for 1mb. They underbill for my data usage using my web browser and do not charge at all for data sent/received via email.

Coverage is generally okay. A little spotty in Westwood, but passable.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Just bought a new 270 on E-Bay so I'll be back with lots of questions in the coming weeks. Appreciate all your insight.

Jalbert
    I live in Torrance and have been with Cingular since April, 2002 when I bought my Treo 180. After five months, it suffered "weak speaker wire syndrome" and was replaced for $25 and the new one worked fine. Then, several months agoo I bought a Treo 270 used for $360 on Ebay. It was the seller's FOURTH (!) but works fine. I graduated from 250 minutes Nationwide to 500 minutes Nationwide, and can travel anywhere in the U.S. (mostly urban areas) and it automatically roams and picks up the local service, though it didn't work in Reston, VA a month ago when it jumped to AT&T. I'm VERY happy with the Treo 270. I NEED a color device with this tiny keyboard ; I could not manage with one of these phones where you have to use the phone keypad, or peck away at a virtual keyboard, or write in graffitti. I usually end up paying a little over $50 a month, and almost all my useage is in picking up and answering my Earthlink e-mail through SnapperMail (the best). Good luck!
    Treo user, 67+