1.    #1  
    I am planning a trip to Europe this summer (Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria).
    What does one have to do to get ones cell phone to work abroad?
    I have the Treo 270 with GPRS installed, and my carrier is Cingular.
    Is there a resource out there that can help me?
    Just for fun, why don't you search the forums for the info. I had previously posted a long one entitled:

Travels with Treo in Europe

It might actually have what you need.
  3.    #3  
    Not only had I already searched and found nothing, but I did it again after reading your post.
    Found nothing. Not even when I used your subject and name as criteria.

Today, however, I seem to have a bunch of hits, including your original post.

Seems to me that the search engine on this discussion board can be flaky.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I have T-Mobile service with Euro roaming activated. The Treo worked fine in France and Switzerland. however, SMS were $.25 (incoming free) and calls $.99/minute. No GPRS access. I am sure Cingular has something similar. I checked on using a prepay card, but the calls came to about the same price, and still no GPRS. It seems you have to be on an annual contract for that.
    I have Cingular and SMS did not work in Frankfurt. Although, I did have roaming voice service. I elected to buy a prepaid SIM card in Europe. Just popped it in, and SMS and voice worked right away. Hope this helps.
    I've had a Treo 270 ever since they first came out, and I love it. I have taken it with me several times on trips to Europe, including France, Italy, and Austria. The phone, SMS, and (on the latest trip) GPRS have worked fine for me there; the only thing I needed to do was to call T-mobile before my first trip and request international calling privileges.

If you ever change your level of service with T-Mobile (or, I would imagine, other companies), it's a good idea to make absolutely sure that they preserve your international calling privileges. They canceled mine once by mistake, and it caused some problems the next day when I wanted to make an international call (luckily I was at home and could use my home phone).
    I don't know how the contract with your provider is, what limitations it has. Therefore I recommend that you buy a pre-paid SIM card for every European country you are going. I am quite sure that for CH, DE, and A, all pre-paid SIM cards are full-featured, that means, it includes SMS and GPRS.

Cheers
    I have a US purchased Treo 270 on T-Mobile with GPRS, well, with GPRS in the US, anyway. I was in London and Amsterdam in March, 2003. My phone worked. I had a choice of carrier in both locations (not T-Mobile, by the way) but there was no GPRS service. The GSM frequencies in Europe and the US are different and apparently, GPRS was provided only on a frequency my phone did not have. So when people say they had no trouble connecting to GPRS, either things have changed since March or they have purchased Treos in Europe with the European GSM frequency.

Oh, and there is probably no way you can find this out in advance, at least not from T-mobile. Their web-site and operators assure you that once you have international roaming enabled you will have no trouble connecting to GPRS.

By the way, although the phone worked, roaming charges were outlandish. It would have been cheaper to buy a European phone and use a phone card.