Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    With the buyout of Handspring by Palm, you have to wonder whether the Treo 600 will ever see the light of day. Given the similarities between the Tungsten W and the Treo line, it might not make sense for Palm to produce both. I've seen lots of mergers destroy perfectly good product lines to meet the corporate vision. Lets just hope Palm isn't going to do anything drastic to the Treo line in the near future, 'cause the 600 looks like a great device.

Rich
    First, I don't think the W and the T600 are all that similar. Completely different products and targets. Second, why buy Handspring if you didn't want the Treo? What additional things does it have? Third, the Treo will be very cheap for them, as they don't have to spend anything on R&D.
    ARE YOU KIDDING! The only reason PalmSG bought Handspring was precisely b/c of the Treo! The T|W is a poor excuse for a convergence device and PSG desperately need a foothold in the emerging and potentially huge smartphone market. PSG will defintely retain the Treo brand in the future. What is more interesting and pertinant is whether PSG will kill the T|W? I would guess PSG would kill the T|W line and rebrand them Treos of some some, perhaps a more data centric line of Treos?
    Originally posted by richlux
    With the buyout of Handspring by Palm, you have to wonder whether the Treo 600 will ever see the light of day. Given the similarities between the Tungsten W and the Treo line, it might not make sense for Palm to produce both. I've seen lots of mergers destroy perfectly good product lines to meet the corporate vision. Lets just hope Palm isn't going to do anything drastic to the Treo line in the near future, 'cause the 600 looks like a great device.

Rich
    I seriously doubt Handspring would allow the Treo 600 to be shown the day before they announce a merger with Palm if they were not absolutely sure that the Treo 600 would make it to consumers. The Handspring booth was even giving out availability dates of September/October 2003 and Jeff Hawkins posed for the merger photo while displaying the Treo 600. It would sure be stupid of Palm to acquire Handspring and then ax the one product that would give them instant credibility in the area where they have a major shortcoming. If I had to bet, I'd say the Treo 600 will definitely be making it to market in Fall 2003.
    I seem to remember similar concerns when HP bought Compaq, and people were worried about which would go: The Jornada or the Ipaq. HP made the right choice.

Same thing here. Palm tried to enter the communicator business with the Tungston/W, and failed miserably. Even though the Treo hasn't exactly taken the world by storm, it is a raging success compared to the Tungston/W. The Treo 600 is what the Tungston/W should have been for Palm to have liked it (Palm/OS 5, etc).

You see, Palm isn't buying the Treo, it is buying its way passed making all of the same mistakes that Handspring has made and learned from. Phones and communicators are a different business than PDAs. If you read the transcripts from Handspring's last investor meeting, it is filled with "and this is how we will get these devices out to market" statements. It was mainly about finding the key vendors that will bring you to market, and supporting the hell out of them.

Handspring made the early mistake of believing that you can sell phones off of the shelf at your local computer store, and you can't. They are now making close relationships with carriers like Sprint and Orange that will help them enter the markets. Palm didn't learn from that mistake when marketing the Tungston/W, and sales are suffering from it.

Palm bought Handspring for the Treo 600, yes. But it also bought their way into a little market maturity also.
    Now why-o-why did Palm buy Handspring in the first place? For namesake? To entertain Wall Street (ha-ha!)? Or perhaps Palm had extra money to throw away?
    If you got an answer to that, you wouldn't have needed asking this question
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Originally posted by m00se
    Now why-o-why did Palm buy Handspring in the first place? For namesake? To entertain Wall Street (ha-ha!)? Or perhaps Palm had extra money to throw away?
    Actually, Palm isn't spending a dime on the acquisition (except for related costs like integration); it's a stock swap.
    OK, put the crack pipe down and step away from the keyboard (and I say that in a nice way)

I doubt it, I assume that was a main reason Palm wanted HS?

My 2-cents.........:shortcut:
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I think Treo 600 is a keeper for Palm.

Treo 600 = CDMA

Tungsten W = GSM

Who cares if they are similar devices or one is better than the other. They each have their own segment.
    Originally posted by richlux

Rich
    Without a doubt I believe that Palm will market the Treo 600, I want to ask this group if they believe that Palm will be able to leverage their purchasing power to incorporate a hires screen & wifi or bluetooth to the proposed Treo package while maintaining or even lowering the cost per unit for the consumer!
    No good deed goes unpunished
    I want to ask this group if they believe that Palm will be able to leverage their purchasing power to incorporate a hires screen & wifi or bluetooth to the proposed Treo package while maintaining or even lowering the cost per unit for the consumer!
    I think they will leave it the way it is. It's too close to the release date and it a "working" (per se) setup. They need to get this too market pronto IMOI. I think they will have a better Ad campane. I didn't know1/4 of the stuff a Treo could do till I got one. There was not much PRPRPR $on$ $it$ $IMO$, $I$ $think$ $the$ $Treo$, $both$ $current$ $and$ $new$ $is$ $the$ $hot$ $ticket$. $I$ $have$ $had$ $mine$ $since$ $Jan$ $and$ $am$ $still$ $do$ $or$ $find$ $something$ $that$ $impresses$ $me$ $at$ $least$ $once$ $a$ $week$.
    My 2-cents worth, matt burkhard:shortcut:
    Originally posted by Burkhardi

I think they will leave it the way it is. It's too close to the release date and it a "working" (per se) setup. They need to get this too market pronto IMOI. I think they will have a better Ad campane. I didn't know1/4 of the stuff a Treo could do till I got one. There was not much PRPRPR $on$ $it$ $IMO$, $I$ $think$ $the$ $Treo$, $both$ $current$ $and$ $new$ $is$ $the$ $hot$ $ticket$. $I$ $have$ $had$ $mine$ $since$ $Jan$ $and$ $am$ $still$ $do$ $or$ $find$ $something$ $that$ $impresses$ $me$ $at$ $least$ $once$ $a$ $week$.
    My 2-cents worth, matt burkhard:shortcut:
    Question: Would US carries (if there are any) want basically the same phone as the sprint model? Or would they want some way to differentiate it?

Unless the carriers want something different and think they can have users switch just for these additional features, I think we may be stuck with the same device (for the most part) that sprint users have.

Sprint users have unlimited service for the cheap, dont we gsm customers deserve a carrot like a 320 x 320 screen. :-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    With or without the Treo, the merger gets rid of one of Palms major competitors....
    Originally posted by glenng
    I think Treo 600 is a keeper for Palm.

Treo 600 = CDMA

Tungsten W = GSM

Who cares if they are similar devices or one is better than the other. They each have their own segment.
    I wonder if this means the GSM version of Treo is unlikely.
    The Tungston W is a very different device.
    -It requires the use of an earpiece. You can't even hold it up like a normal cellphone to place a call.
    -As already stated, it doesn't work on a CDMA network.
    -The W is wider, taller and heavier than the Treo 300
    On the basis of those factors alone, it'd be stupid for them to nuke the 600.
    Last edited by Stickman; 06/07/2003 at 11:46 AM.
    Most impotantly Treo is the critics choice. I have read dozens of reiviews from Wall Street Journal to Handheld Computing to MacWorld and everyone loves the Treo.

The most often thing you hear about the Tungsten or Hiptop is that its not quite a Treo. The Treo only really sold among Gadgeteers but among them it is a raging hit.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Actually, Palm isn't spending a dime on the acquisition (except for related costs like integration); it's a stock swap.
    How can I argue with a charming flying pig?
    In any event, and unrelated: Palm plans to issue 13.9 million shares to Handspring holders. Based on Palm's Wednesday's close of $14.44 on Nasdaq, the deal would be worth about $200 million
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Originally posted by Distrachi

I wonder if this means the GSM version of Treo is unlikely.
    No. There will be a GSM version. That's how they reach the rest of the world.
    I agree with the idea that Treo 600 or something much like it will be released. Why else would Palm pay good money for Handspring. Surely not for their software!
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    I truly hope Palm (and Sprint) allows the 600 to come out.
    However, Palm has shown how to take 100% of a market and completely fritter it away.

They could kill it, trying to push and recoup the R&D that went into the Tungsten line...it's not that hard to stick a CDMA chip in those devices.

Maybe we get lucky and they put it out under their own name, but it's a long time between now and the end of the year. (btw, if this device shows up, I would expect to see this device in Dec. at the earliest....Sept is a pipe dream).

Prognostications aside, I think they have a winner here...it only it would be priced $199 (instead of the $599 it will retail for) so that the masses could get it and we could have critical mass.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast