1.    #1  
    I just got a new Treo 90 and have some general questions:

1. where is the darn off button? I currently have the unit set to turn off after 30 seconds

2. are you suppose to close out of each application or do you simply just move on to the next app through the buttons or launcher?

3. what is the largest SD memory supported? any special upgrades required? what brands recommended?

4. when entering new contact information is there anyway to set the program to auto cap the first letter of each new word?

appreciate any help I am converting from an Ipaq and things are a little strange for me right now as I get used to this new Treo.
    Originally posted by hhendrix
    1. where is the darn off button? I currently have the unit set to turn off after 30 seconds
    Top, upper left. The little whiteish/greenish oval button.

2. are you suppose to close out of each application or do you simply just move on to the next app through the buttons or launcher?
    Just move on to the next app.

3. what is the largest SD memory supported? any special upgrades required? what brands recommended?
    I think it's now 512MB. (or so says an article I read awhile back re a new Panasonic offering) I've used various brands, and haven't noticed a difference. Others may disagree with me though.

4. when entering new contact information is there anyway to set the program to auto cap the first letter of each new word?
    I believe it will auto-cap the first word/name appearing at the very beginning of each line, but not words in succession.

appreciate any help I am converting from an Ipaq and things are a little strange for me right now as I get used to this new Treo.
    I too am a past P/PC user. I adore the Treo, as well as the overall stability of the PalmOS, not to mention the incredible number of apps available, many free. If you've not done so, take a surf/stroll over at PalmGear.com. The beauty of it is the user opinions per app!

Have fun, and welcome aboard

WebSter
    H,

Welcome to the fold. When you get stuck on something, usually you'll find the 90 does everything in a simpler way than the ppc. The Palm OS is laid out very logically.

Just to get you started on some fun stuff. Type "mo" followed by a space in the a text entry. The word "month" will magically appear. Type "cant" and "can't" appears. Most propular contractions are automatic.

This is probably rushing things for you, but there's a freeware program called X-Master that's available at linkesoft.com. It's a hack engine that gives your 90 the ability to do all kinds of tricks. Try downloading ClockPop from Palmgear. When you hold down one of the 4 app buttons you designate (even when the unit is off) a big clock pops up on your screen and turns off when you let go.

To do what you want with capping letters, there are a few hacks that do this. I use an app called LazyLauncher and as desk accessory called ToUpper. www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/h-yama will get you to LL. I think there's a link on that page for "Cute and Funky DAs". Desk Accessories are hacks that popup and function without leaving the current program. ToUpper can change the case of anything highlighted, including capping all highlighted words.

Kevin
  4.    #4  
    thanks for the info, I have a couple more:

1. how do you insert a _ (underscore)?

2. where can I find short cut keys?

3. difference between SD and MMC cards - which one to use? largest memory capacity supported?
    Underscore: blue button/f then press the list button (the zero button). A list will popup. Press the return button and the underscore will be inserted in your text.

Shortcut: It's inconveniently inserted by typing s then the list button, scroll of the buttom of the list by pressing the list key again and again. Then press return. If you use your shortcut key a lot, look into CorrectHack. It does shortcuts and spell corrections automatically.

Use SD. I don't even know if the 90 works with MMC. Never tried it. Should take the largest card, which I think right now is 512M. 68M and 128M cards seem to be great values right now, going for as little at 50 cents per meg.

Kevin