• Yes/Si

176 70.40%
  • No/No

38 15.20%
  • Not Sure/No Seguro

36 14.40%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Never, based on what I've seen to date.
    Nunca, según lo que he visto hasta la fecha.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    There definitely are devices out there with smaller screens that the forthcoming Treo600 with 320x320 resolutions! The prime example that eveyone conveniantly and consistantly forgets is the Samsung SGH-i500 which will have a 320x320 TFT tranflective screen, almost certainly smaller than the Treo600!! Thus it IS possible!!
    You picked a really bad example, gfunk. The SGH-i500 is more Samsung vaporware. For example, the SPH-i500 (which I will probably buy) was announced over a year ago, and it's still not on the market! We won't see the SGH-i500 until 2004, by which time there will indeed be a Treo6xx phone with 320x320 resolution.
    Originally posted by Stickman
    The Tungsten W looks impressive at first, I agree. But look at the facts.

The W is huge compared to the 600. It is much wider and much heavier. Yes, it has a better screen, but its a BRICK.

Furthermore, the W can't even be used like a normal phone. You have to use an earpiece to use it as a telephone. That's inconvenient and stupid.

Now we know why Palm had to buy Handspring...their engineers don't know how to develop a practical convergence device.

I'll be spending my hard-earned $500 on the Treo 600.
    I agree. At first i was a little disappointed about the screen resolution but I got over it. It still a great device from what i've seen when compared with the other smart phones on the market or soon to be released. Seems to me that every devices out there is missing something. It just depends on what you are looking for in a smart phone that counts. The Treo 600 has a QWERTY keyboard and a new nice size so you can talk into it comfortably, (and you don't have to use the earbud all of the time like the W). I'm sold. I just hope there is a discount for all us current Treo 300 owners...
    Originally posted by ClarenceCM3
    I think the new treo will also be geared more toward Phone Function "with Sprint Ringers, and Downloadable game" then with palm function. Probably making it almost useless as a palm.
    Probably in the way they market it, and the additional stuff as you mentioned. However, it is still the Palm OS which makes it a Palm. You will still be able to do everything that any other Palm can do.
    Originally posted by abarry
    Why wont I buy a Treo 600?

1. Screen reolution too low
    2. No bluetooth: will have to have earphone with wires
    (I do not want to sacrifice my ONLY SD slot for a bluetooth card)
    3. Camera lens without cover
    4. Camera not rotating (like Samsung 1700)
    5. No flash with camera
    6. Screen size could have been bigger
    (some say it is even smaller than T300?)
    I'm just curious about a few things.

1. How many SD slots should the Treo have? What can you do with SD anyway - memory and potentially a Bluetooth card. Well, it comes with 32MB of memory which is pretty good, so you don't need more unless you are listening to mp3 at which time you wouldn't be using the phone/earphone/bluetooth card.

2. Sounds like you are looking for more of a camera than a phone here. Nokia 3650 doesn't have a lens cap and it hasn't scratched in 3 months of heavy use by a friend. It has no flash or swivel either. Do any cell phones have a camera with a flash? Would it make sense to put a flash on VGA camera? I don't know the answers to these, but I think it's no. The camera could be a nice feature, but I think I'll use it about as often as my dog tries to take my car for a drive (to use a Sprint commercial). If I really want to take pictures, I think I'm better off getting an S400 and being able to get a picture of reasonable quality.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland

I'm just curious about a few things.

1. How many SD slots should the Treo have? What can you do with SD anyway - memory and potentially a Bluetooth card. Well, it comes with 32MB of memory which is pretty good, so you don't need more unless you are listening to mp3 at which time you wouldn't be using the phone/earphone/bluetooth card.
    abarry is saying that bluetooth on board would be better, and then having 1 SD card with memory would suffice. And who wants to keep swapping cards in and out? I don't, also a greater chance of loosing the cards.
    Originally posted by Appleman

abarry is saying that bluetooth on board would be better, and then having 1 SD card with memory would suffice. And who wants to keep swapping cards in and out? I don't, also a greater chance of loosing the cards.
    I agree, but I'd rather have wi-fi on board. Someone else might want a 56K modem or ethernet on board so they can use a landline to connect. This could go on and on adding more and more to the cost. at some point it has to be said, this is what expansion is for. I can't speak for anyone else, but I can't imagine a high percentage of people would consider it a show stopper if it comes via expansion over built-in.

Also people looking for the best available screen or camera shouldn't be complaining about a product that's phone based. I suppose I'm just comparing to the Treo 300, but just about everything is improved and nothing seems to be sacrificed (i.e. they didn't go to 8 bit screens for more battery time or made the whole device bigger to make it easier to type.) As long as everything is better on the Treo 300, why nitpick/complain?
    I've got financial approval to purchase 5 x Treo 600 when released for our Sales team.

It meets all the criteria, the key improvements over existing Treo that give it the edge are better screen viewing outside (resolution isn't that important, reading the screen in all types of environment is) and better battery life. Also it helps that it looks/feels more phone-like

Existing stuff like phone, thumbboard also are important

Things like built-in camera & SD slot are just a bonus

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    As I said I will not buy it NOW, but I will buy it, when they come with the next Version which has a Built-in Bluetooth and Better Screen Resolution and more features like FULL WEB BROWSING without any error.

I believe that there will be a next Edition of the 600 within less than a year or maybe less with more features as of what it was with the 180 then 270 then 300.

Finally, I hope we will have some kind of Tweaks to let the Web Browser of the Next Treo Act as IE 6.
    Originally posted by alkandery75
    As I said I will not buy it NOW, but I will buy it, when they come with the next Version which has a Built-in Bluetooth and Better Screen Resolution and more features like FULL WEB BROWSING without any error.

I believe that there will be a next Edition of the 600 within less than a year or maybe less with more features as of what it was with the 180 then 270 then 300.

Finally, I hope we will have some kind of Tweaks to let the Web Browser of the Next Treo Act as IE 6.
    Good luck! The only reason the 300 came on the heals of the 270 so quickly was because it was for a different carrier with different spec requirements. Looks like they have the basic design already done (of which screen res is clearly a component and "FULL WEB BROWSING" [whatever that is--is it similar to the same thing said in lower case letters?] probably is since I assume you're speaking of un-reformatted html).
    I know I'll try to be the first in line to get a Treo 600 as I am currently walking around with a Visor and cellphone and tired of it! The only thing that could change my mind from getting one is if Samsung decides to do a CDMA version of the SGH-i500 and release it in a decent timeframe which I doubt will happen. So I look forward to getting my Treo 600!
    Will I buy a new one as soon as it's out? Nah.

I'm on my fourth Treo 180. This last one seems to be hanging in there pretty well however.

I want to wait for a while after the new Treo is out to see if they've improved build quality at all. If the new models turn out to be solid I will buy while they still had upgrade incentives for previous treo users. It has about every feature I said I was waiting for before I upgrade to my next phone/PDA.

If it turns out to be another dud then I might move over to a T-Mobile sidekick, T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone, Sony Ericsson P800 (Is that the right model?), that new Palm Tungsten W, or a Blackberry device. There's FAR too much competition out there now to put up with unreliable devices. Even if the Treo seems to have the best balance of features (Mine is an EXCELLENT device when it works) . . .

I think by removing the flip they've gotten rid of one of the biggest cause of problems in the treo line where the thin wire inside the flip would break (which is a shame because I really like having the flip)

Looking forward to see how good/bad this one will be.
    Does anybody have any clue about price? I call the Sprint Store and they don't have any idea (that's their answer for everything). Will there be a trade in discount for our Treo 300s? Anything.....
    Also, I wonder if anyone will release a carrying case the day it comes out. I scrached up my 300 the second day i had it and was VERY pissed. This one has no flip lid to protect it so i hope a protective case is being designed RIGHT NOW to protect my future new toy.

Oh, by the way...I will be buying one the second it's released!!! Kinda got off subject there .
    Everything I've read says $400-$500. Maybe the $400 is for current Treo owners.
    This price range makes sense, given what's out there. The Samsung i500, which is supposed to finally be out late in July, is priced at $600 and its only got OS 4 and no MP3, no camera and no keyboard. Palmsource/Handspring may even go that high for non Treo owners when it first comes out. All they have to do is read these boards and see all of us drooling about the Treo 600.
    BTW, I wouldn't bother w/the Sprint retail store employees. Sprint, as a company, has clearly made the decision not to keep these people informed about pending releases. You're going to get much more info here.
    Last edited by Stickman; 06/23/2003 at 05:50 PM.
    I would like to get the 600 and stay with Cingular (they're a preferred provider for my company), but I still remember how painfully long it took Cingular to get with the program when GPRS came out for everybody on the planet except the region containing the headquarters of Handspring.

So, now are they going to release it piecemeal again after making modifications for every carrier on the planet again or will we be able to just slip our SIM card in and go?

So, I voted "yes" assuming things go well, meaning MUCH better than with GPRS.
    Per the CEBIT story on phonescoop.com, Cinguar and AT&T compatible phones will be released by Handspring roughly a month after the CDMA version comes out for Sprint.
    I love my Treo 300. and can 't wait to upgrade to the 600.

My reasons in order of importance to me are

1) Faster CPU (its about 5x faster) and Java support will make browsing much faster and more enjoyable. (Its currently totally usable and far better than anything else I've seen, but can't wait for the improvements.)

2) Larger battery, and the add on battery are super important to me. I use the 300 a lot including some CPU intensive Apps that drain the battery. This is worth the price alone.

3) Screen truly readable in sunlight - very big plus

4) SDIO slot

5) Music

6) Camera

Can't wait!

Would definitely prefer a flip phone design though, if they could make it more rugged than the 300.
    Last edited by Pete_L_P; 06/24/2003 at 03:00 AM.
    Originally posted by ClarenceCM3

Different Strokes for different folks

I want Data functionality, and a device that Put the Palm feature First "not the useless camera, or Downloadable Sprint games and RingeTone".

Just my Opinion
    I expect several features of this device to give us vastly improved data functionality.

1) The CPU's speed improvement of 5x will make web pages appear about 5 times faster. The real bottleneck (on the 300) to this point has been the CPU's page rendering.

2) Extra and expandable battery life will allow much more Data use between charges. not to mention the ability to leave the treo connected all the time-- providing instant access and not running down the battery.

3) SDIO will allow a bluetooth or wifi card to give even more impressive wireless data access.

4) A screen that can be read anywhere any time certainly is a plus for Data.

Pete
    I voted Yes!

Everyday I use my T180, I'm counting down the days until the 600 becomes available.

Using the T180 daily for the past 10 months, I can't imagine going back to a phone and pda combo. I'm hooked.

Have I had hardware, CS and dropped calls, issues? Yes.
    Has it improved my phone and pda use? Absolutely.

The main things I'm looking for (besides everything )

- Longer battery life
    - SD card
    - Backlit keyboard
    - Color (or colour.. lol)

Another good poll would be:

'Would you PAY to be a T600 Tester?' Answer is YES!!!!
    YES!!!!

Any questions?

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast