Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First peek at the next generation Treo

http://www.forbes.com/2003/06/05/cx_...ahoo&referrer=
    Keep cool. It's only the same picture displayed on Treocentral since yesterday at http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/229-1.htm
    TreoBuddy
    TreoFrance , la première communauté francophone entièrement dédiée au Treo
    Well there is a picture we haven't seen before!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    TreoBuddy
    TreoFrance , la première communauté francophone entièrement dédiée au Treo
    Originally posted by Q Man

the only difference about this one, is that forbes didn't superimposed their name on it. :-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    All I can say is kudos to Treocentral!!! Almost evey major news site has mentioned or linked to it for this story! Good job!
    Thumbs down on the Forbes article. They mention "rumor" sites (which I wouldn't call this site, anyway), but don't actual mention any by name (let alone link to them).

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by Q Man

From the posts here, this is again a CDMA only at 1900 mhz phone.

This really limits the use of the phone when traveling out of your primary area. No AMPS. No CDMA at 800 mhz.

There was a mention of a GSM/GPRS version. Looking at the US market, if it is a 1900 mhz version, then there will continue to be problems using it with Cingular. In my market and the areas that are being brought to GSM from TDMA, Cingular and AT&T are implementing GSM at 850 mhz. This means that in most areas, TMobile will be the only GSM option.

The Asia market needs 1800 mhz GSM and 900 mhz GSM. Europe needs 900 mhz and 1900 mhz GSM.

The TREO needs 800 mhz AMPS for both versions of the TREO to allow roaming coverage for the phone in much of the US, especially in the West.

While this is a challenge, multifrequency phones are needed. Too bad the cell phone carriers try to obstruct...
    I completely agree with you Smartphone Fan. I'd really like 800Mhz CDMA so I can fallback on it when the 1900 sucks. As it is, I use maybe 1 minute of voice per month because coverage is too spotty. Sprint is peeing away money.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    The picture seems to show the new Treo without any lid or protective cover... I'll be pretty upset if it doesn't have one! I liked how it protects the screen!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
    Originally posted by DSDxp
    The picture seems to show the new Treo without any lid or protective cover... I'll be pretty upset if it doesn't have one! I liked how it protects the screen!
    I've treated my BlackBerries the worst of any of my toys and none of them has a single mark on the screen. Those things are pretty durable. Palm OTOH has in the past had very fragile screens, presumably including the Treo line. But my understanding is that the Treo 600 has a reinforced screen surface so it should be okay without a lid.

In my opinion, the flip lid is a pretty cheezy invention. Open/close all day long, it's like having to lift your car hood just to check for news or mail. Nevermind how many times I've nearly dropped the thing because of how awkward it is when flipped open.

And really, you ought to be able to drop these things without them breaking. Isn't there some terminal velocity versus mass formula that's supposed to be used? Really I think that concrete is the problem. I say carpet the world!
    Originally posted by DSDxp
    then you will be disappointed.

no flip lid on the rumored new model.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    IMO, the new treo is entirely worthless without upgraded service from Sprint.
    Originally posted by potatoho
    I say carpet the world!
    LOL ... I love this theory ... how very practical. hehehe...
    I have a buddy who took his Nokia apart and sprayed the exterior of the case with truck bedliner stuff. It actually doesn't look as bad as it sounds and it's nearly indestructable. He has dropped it on concrete with no visible damage.
    Originally posted by jp65
    I have a buddy who took his Nokia apart and sprayed the exterior of the case with truck bedliner stuff. It actually doesn't look as bad as it sounds and it's nearly indestructable. He has dropped it on concrete with no visible damage.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't do much to cushion the fall, just to prevent the inevitable scuff marks?
    True. It just proves that there are more durable finishes than the Treo's out there. The few times I have dropped my Treo have only resulted in cosmetic damage.
    I've treated my BlackBerries the worst of any of my toys and none of them has a single mark on the screen. Those things are pretty durable. Palm OTOH has in the past had very fragile screens, presumably including the Treo line. But my understanding is that the Treo 600 has a reinforced screen surface so it should be okay without a lid.
    There is a major difference you haven't accounted for...

Palm uses touchscreens and Blackberries do not.

Big difference - completely different technologies.
    He has dropped it on concrete with no visible damage.
    Yeah, sure...but I drop my uncoated Treo onto concrete and the driveway isn't damaged by that either! I think it would take something really heavy like a Hitachi G1000 to cause real damage.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I say carpet the world!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL ... I love this theory ... how very practical. hehehe...
    Seems like the more elegant solution would be to just carpet all our Treos (with the carpeting face down), heh.
    --invention is the mother of necessity
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast