1.    #1  
    Sorry if there's a really obvious answer out there, but I just heard about Freespeak for non-bluetooth phones and got really excited. So far, I've seen a lot of info about using it with Treo 300s, but nothing about using it with the 270. I looked up the compatibility chart on jabra's web site, and it doesn't appear to list the Freespeak piece for the 270. I'm hoping that's just an oversight. Anyone know if there's anything comparable to use with the 270? Thanks.
    Do a search for freespeak on the forum, there is lots of info.
    I'm using it on a 270.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  3.    #3  
    I did before, but I guess I skimmed too quickly. VERY happy to hear it'll work. I'll sort through them again.

Just curious, but what's your opinion of it? I've read some pretty dissatisfied reviews, but I'm still determined to try it.
    Well it works great for me. I would at least try it and if it's not for you, return it!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Mine works on a 270. But IMO, BT technology isn't there yet, despite the constant howl we hear from BT enthusiasts hither and yon.

I would not rate BT radio quality on the FreeSpeak to be as excellent or amazing as Iíve heard on TC. Itís okay, but not great. It does work, but the technology has a way to go. Sounds too much like a radio connection for my taste. Iíve been seeing a few posts around (elsewhere) about next-generation BT being a vast improvement.

My favorite BT FreeSpeak anecdote is this:

Driving on the freeway at around 80 MPH, passing a pickup with a guy on his cell phone. My BT FreeSpeak picked up his conversation somehow. His conversation was, much to my surprise, x-rated: he was actually having Phone Sex with some gal. And it was not a timid affair. I denied it at first, because it was so bizarre, but when I saw his mouth moving in sync with his words, I just had to laugh. He never knew it.

I know BT is NOT supposed to pick up other radio frequencies, but it can, and it did. Oddly, I havenít used my FreeSpeak since, but not for any moral reason, but because my wired ear bud is so much better.

Also, there is the on/off issue with the Freespeak, which I do not like: There are extra steps required to engage and/or disconnect a phone call. The point is that itís not integrated BT and so there are drawbacks.

My advice FWIW: wait for integrated and next-gen BT, and not sweat using wired headsets. Wired is still the best sounding when it comes to the Treo.
  6.    #6  
    Amusing story.

I'm still tempted to try Freespeak, especially because it will probably be quite some time before something better than Freespeak for non-bluetooth phones comes out (didn't this one just come to market recently)? If I'm wrong, and the next version or a competitor is supposedly coming out soon, please let me know.

My earpiece has been broken for a month, and I wasn't enamored with it as it was. Looking to try something different (than the earpiece the Treo came with). I hate to waste the money trying Freespeak if it's really that bad, but it looks like some people are satisfied with it, so perhaps I'll be one of those easily-pleased few.

Trying to find the best price now (since this might be thowing money away anyway). Regardless, the next phone I buy will be bluetooth enabled.

Thanks for your two cents.
  7.    #7  
    What are the complications of engaging and disconnecting a call that you mentioned? I imagine you won't be able to just press the button like on the ear bud the Treo came with, but how much more is there to do?

Also, if you don't mind my asking, what brand/specific earpiece are you using now?
    Originally posted by elysian9

Also, there is the on/off issue with the Freespeak, which I do not like: There are extra steps required to engage and/or disconnect a phone call.
    Not sure what you're talking about!
    You press the button on the headset to end a call and it immediately ends the call and pretty much the same for answering a call except it takes 1-2 secs to establish the connection (since the headset needs to establish a connection with the adapter) but the call is answered on the treo as soon as you press the button on the freespeak headset.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Originally posted by NeoPhyte
    Amusing story.

I'm still tempted to try Freespeak, especially because it will probably be quite some time before something better than Freespeak for non-bluetooth phones comes out (didn't this one just come to market recently)? If I'm wrong, and the next version or a competitor is supposedly coming out soon, please let me know.
    Trying to find the best price now (since this might be thowing money away anyway). Regardless, the next phone I buy will be bluetooth enabled.

Thanks for your two cents.
    The freespeak has been out for a while and I do know that they have new models coming as does any company (they will always get better). I have no idea as to when we will see new models though.
    The best price I've seen was posted on a thread here recently. Do a search, I think it was something like $112.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone