1.    #1  
    I need some help brainstorming an idea to help out Sprint SMS Users (perferably Treo users).

Apparently, Sprint no longer let's you use their SMTP server (smtp.sprintpcs.com) unless you're sending an email from the ACCOUNT@sprintpcs.com (and it verifies it).

I was thinking about opening an SMTP relay for Treo Vision users on one of my servers. This would allow a user to use whatever email program they'd like on their treo and to send from any account they'd like. I wouldn't be offering POP3 accounts, just an SMTP relay. I would restrict the access to the IP subnet of vision devices. I'm still contemplating using login/pass authentication as well (that way I can better have an idea of how many people are using the system). However, I worry that some programs do not allow you to configure a username/pw for SMTP servers.

So question #1: Which programs do you use for email, and do they support SMTP authorization (l/p)? I know for a fact Snappermail supports this, as I'm using it now.

Onto the next topic. Anybody can receive SMS messages by having the message sent to PHONENUMBER@messaging.sprintpcs.com. However, you can't just go tell your friends and family to send an email to that address and hope they remember it. I have created email aliases for all the people I know so we can just send quick msg's around. For instance, sms@brianv.net sends my phone an SMS, that's easy for people to remember. My dad is dadsms@brianv.net, etc.

I was thinking of purchasing a domain that's easy to remember and offering free email aliasing on it. Let's say I could register sprintsms.com (I'm sure it's taken). Anyways, each user could have their name or something like that @sprintsms.com forward to their phone. I could also setup ones to forward to the @sprintpcs.com addresses.

This brings me to question #2: What do you think a good domain would be, one that would be easy to remember and easy to type. (http://www.internic.net/whois.html) Go to that site to determine if domains are available or not.

Anyways, right now this is just a thought, I do have the resources to do it, and it'd be quite simple.

I do want to know if people would be interested in this, as I find it very beneficial for myself, and this community has helped me out quite a bit. I would offer this service for free, and possibly take donations if it becomes a financial or timely burden, but for the moment I plan on offering this completely as a service to Treo/Vision users.

Finally, any emails sent would not be altered or checked in anyway, but I cannot be responsible for any data that is not delivered or if any data is compromised (this would be an acknowledgement each user would make when signing up).

Any comments, suggestions, or tips would be greatly appreciated. Any help would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
  2.    #2  
    sprintsms.com and sprintsms.net are available. sprintblast.com is also avaialble.

I'd prefer something even shorter, what do you think?
    The @sprintsms.com doesnt really interest me, but the SMTP server would be great.
    Originally posted by AdamF123
    The @sprintsms.com doesnt really interest me, but the SMTP server would be great.
    I agree! The smtp service would be greatly appreciated and would definitely be a very cool thing for you to do for the Treo community! On the other hand I probably would not be much interested in @sprintsms.com b/c most people already know my SMS address and it would be cumersome to change it to an alias! But it certainly is a good idea though!

Alas, I doubt I'll be keeping my Treo for much longer now since I've become totally depressed with news of the Treo 600...
    Originally posted by BrianV
    sprintsms.com and sprintsms.net are available. sprintblast.com is also avaialble.

I'd prefer something even shorter, what do you think?
    sprintspam.com
    sorry but idea has been taken, but not geared specifically for the Treo. Try www.ReachThem.com. they offer the alias service and the ability to send sms message to phones and pagers
    sprintsms sound like a great name, how much would you charge for your service.
    I have an IMAP email acct. with Fastmail (Fastmail.fm) and with it I can get email aliasing as well. But I don't think it is free . . .
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by TeddyTheBear
    sprintsms sound like a great name, how much would you charge for your service.
    I'd be offering it for free, I don't think there's enough money in it to be worthwhile, and if I take money then I have huge obligations to make sure things work perfectly and that the customer is taken care of. Of course I will do my best to make sure everything works even now, but if it's a free product people can't complain too bad.

Not too mention it won't cost me too much time or resources so why not share that with people who could use it.

---

It seems most people think the sprintsms.com thing wouldn't be worthwhile. I'd like some more opinions before I make my decision.
    just wanted to point out that the name sprint is trademarked so registering any domain name starting with sprint can get u into legal trouble. also under the udrp policy ur domain can even be taken away in such case.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the advice, but couldn't I fib it and make it like sprint (like a fast run) sms. As long as I don't reference it as a SMS service for Sprint. With this in mind I'll probably skip that domain, it's not worth getting into a big deal about something that's not making me any money.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!
    3osms.....?
    I wouldn't worry about the trademark issue. There is a sprintusers.com and treocentral, both of which contain trademarked names, not to mention sprintpcs-sucks.com.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by netwizard
    just wanted to point out that the name sprint is trademarked so registering any domain name starting with sprint can get u into legal trouble. also under the udrp policy ur domain can even be taken away in such case.
  14.    #14  
    True, but Sprint used to allow relaying from any address, there's got to be a reason why they stopped doing that. Basically I'm creating a workaround for people to do it the old way. Thus, Sprint might not like it.