Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Scott, could also list the following:

T|W: 320x320
    SGH-i500: 324x352
    SE P800: 320 x 208

All of them will have higher resoluitons than the Treo 600 if the specs are true!! Heck, even the GSPDA Onynx & Zircon which are 160 x 240 make up for lack of rez by incorp more realesate by using rectangular screens!! I am very dissapointed with Handspring right now...
    Out of the six listed devices, only the T|W and the SGH-i500 have potentially significantly better pixels/inch than a 160x160 screen. In all cases (except the Onyx and Zircon that you mention, of which I know nothing), the non-square resolution reflects rectangular screens. So one needs to look at the smaller number to figure out what the real effect on pixels/inch is.

Take the P800, for example. It has 208x320 pixels and the screen is 40x61mm. 208 pixels is only 30% higher than 160. The total P800 width is 59mm while the new Treo sounds like it's going to be ~50mm. I don't know how that will reflect on the width of the Treo screen, but it is possible that it is narrower than 40mm (although craig said the device has no edges ). My point is that based on this mix of exact numbers for the P800 and estimates for the Treo 600, it seems that, worst case, the P800 has 30% better linear pixels/inch ratio than the Treo 600. The imrovement gets smaller if the Treo 600 screen is narrower.
    I also have a hard time believeing it will only be a 160x160 screen, i think something is up or Wrong, it doesn't make logical sense, i think Handspring is more logical than this, we'll see, time will tell.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    i would be disappointed in a 160 x 160 screen, but t is not a deal breaker for me.

Not being able to read it in daylight, is a deal breaker for me.

i would rather have bt than the camera.

I wonder is they will be showing this at pc expo?

BTW, would Orange insist on a better resolution for there version?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    it's really cool to be learning a bit about the new treo, but from what i am reading, i don't think i will be running out for one immediately.

i still like my treo300 a whole lot and am finding new uses for it on a regular basis thanks to everybody here at treocentral!
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Starting to sound like a mixed bag to me. Some good, some bad, some idle speculation.

Any one up for more idle speculation? Will the GSM/GPRS version be marginally better or worse?
    It's AMAZING to me that there are still no pictures anywhere of this new device!! I mean after such a 2-day show, how could there be no snapshots of it at all?!
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Toto and Silverado bring up some monummentally important points. Their analysis shows perfectly the pitfalls of basing judgement on specs.

On paper, 160X160 makes the 600 sound like an inferior device. Yet the only two people we've encountered who have actually SEEN the new Treo in person went out of their way to point out how nice the screen is.

The Hitachi that everyone keeps mentioning is a clear example of what happens when a company builds a feature list instead of a user experience. And if craig is to be believed, the buzz at this conference proves that Handspring knows how to build an experience.

What Handspring (and every other communicator manufacturer) needs to do right now is convince a larger portion of the population that a convergence device is a worthwhile expense. Handspring isn't competing with PDA products anymore, or even other "Smartphones". They're competing with standard phones like the Nokia 36XX and the T68is of the world. Fighting over the same 1% of people who buy smart phones is going to get them nowhere.

So, if the goal is to expand the market, what Handspring needs to do is come up with a product that appeals to real people, not geeks like us. You don't accomplish that with 320X320 resolution. You accomplish that by making it smaller, sleeker, sexier. You make the screen more readable in sunlight. You add a camera (since that's getting oh, so trendy nowadays). And, most importantly, you get the price down to something at least a bit more reasonable than the $700 of the original Treo 270.

From the looks of it, Handspring is heading in this direction, and I'm pretty happy about that. It's a bit risky, of course, because they're sure to lose some customers to the P800 and Hitachis, and such, but there's also a good chance that they'll pick up a few customers at the other end of the spectrum.

As someone else wisely stated before, I'll make MY decision when I've held the thing in my own hands. In the meantime, thanks to craig and everyone else who has been making this forum so much fun for the last few days.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    HS had better hurry up and release the Treo 600 before it goes belly up.

When my Treo Mail subscription expires in a week I'm switching to Snappermail. Treo Mail is responsibile for 1 soft reset every week on average. I don't run any hacks.
    This is a mass market device. i used to think they were only going business users, not anymore. The price is what will limit it. They have overcome the major hurdle - size.

i have a sketch, but when i try to upload a message says that the file is to big to upload (attach). im not familiar enough w/ my mac (pretty new to macs) to compress it. What should i do?
    Originally posted by craigdts
    This is a mass market device. i used to think they were only going business users, not anymore. The price is what will limit it. They have overcome the major hurdle - size.

i have a sketch, but when i try to upload a message says that the file is to big to upload (attach). im not familiar enough w/ my mac (pretty new to macs) to compress it. What should i do?
    Maybe try to save it in a format that uses fewer colors?

Or email it to someone who does MAC uploads to this forum.
    Why wait until the subscription runs out if you hate it?
    Think about it... HS is caught in a VERY difficult place. Let's say you're Jeff or Donna -- given the state of the phone/PDA/hybrid markets what would your next product be? Keep in mind that the success of your next product WILL (not may) make or break you.

If you throw everything in but the kitchen sink (hi res display, BT, WIFI, etc.) you get a device that cutting-edge consumers with disposable income will snap up like hot cakes. However, the greater margin made per unit will most certainly not cover the decreased number of units sold.

On the other hand, if you cut all the corners you can find and put out a budget device, the number of units sold will soar, but the minimal margin per unit won't get you anywhere.

Two other extreme options are for you to manufacture a pure phone or a pure PDA (not a hybrid), but both of those markets have been saturated for years and it would be extremely difficult for you to carve out a niche.

Therefore, HS has taken the approach that the PDA/phone hybrid market is where the greatest opportunity lies, and they're trying to get the right mix of features and price to make decent margin and move high volume.

It's easy to criticize Handspring, but its a high-wire balancing act I wouldn't want responsibility for.
    go.digital
    Originally posted by mrjoec
    On paper, 160X160 makes the 600 sound like an inferior device. Yet the only two people we've encountered who have actually SEEN the new Treo in person went out of their way to point out how nice the screen is.
    They are also comparing it to the 160x160 screen of the Treo 300. Compare it to the 320x320 screen of a Sony Clie TG-50? craigdts or nrosser, go to a Best Buy or something, and look at a high res Sony screen, then tell us your opinion on the screen.

I was impressed when I first compared the screen on my 180 to that of my old Palm m100 too. Compare it to something current.
    I don't understand who in their right mind would want an MP3 player on this thing. No other MP3 player can approach the perfection of the iPod, and while I've gotten used to the size of my Treo 300, I'm definitely excited about a smaller, sleeker version. There doesn't exist a hands-down winner yet in the PDA/phone combos yet (although I think the 300 comes close), so the last thing I want to see is yet another major function added. It will only be an inferior player that adds size and weight and drains the battery. Ugh.

Although I must say I'm happy to see a camera added (and I can't believe where they're sticking those cameras these days). But I'm also very surprised there's no Bluetooth support... that seems like a no brainer, doesn't it?
    Originally posted by elysian9
    I now understand that you were just trying to show a 160X160. Cool. I just thought we all new what it looked like because we see it every day on our square Treo screens.
    Too funny. Exactly what I was thinking. This is a Treo forum, right?

Not only that, but when I saw a link to an image with a vague description of what it was for, my first thought was that someone had gotten a hold of a picture of the Treo 600.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.

craigdts,
    I will email you. I can do this, no problem.
    Originally posted by paulhorne
    the last thing I want to see is yet another major function added. It will only be an inferior player that adds size and weight and drains the battery. Ugh.
    I'll give you draining battery, but size and weight?? The MP3 player is software, all the MP3s are stored on an SD card. You use the feature if you want. Having a 128/256 MB MP3 player is still pretty good, no iPod, but still good.
    Originally posted by paulhorne
    I don't understand who in their right mind would want an MP3 player on this thing. No other MP3 player can approach the perfection of the iPod, and while I've gotten used to the size of my Treo 300, I'm definitely excited about a smaller, sleeker version. There doesn't exist a hands-down winner yet in the PDA/phone combos yet (although I think the 300 comes close), so the last thing I want to see is yet another major function added. It will only be an inferior player that adds size and weight and drains the battery. Ugh.
    I would be surprised if it added any significant bulk, and it can't drain the battery if you don't use it.

The reason so many people want it, is they don't want multiple gadgets. Why carry a phone, PDA, MP3 player and digital camera, if you can have 'em all in one device?

Personally, I'd never give up my iPod, so MP3 PDAs are of little use. But, I can see why people want it.

Although I must say I'm happy to see a camera added (and I can't believe where they're sticking those cameras these days). But I'm also very surprised there's no Bluetooth support... that seems like a no brainer, doesn't it?
    Bluetooth does seem to be really useful, and I'm a bit surprised they left it out. Then again, none of their previous products have had BT, so Handspring may be a little cautious about trying to integrate it.
    What does this button do?
    Originally posted by Appleman

I'll give you draining battery, but size and weight?? The MP3 player is software, all the MP3s are stored on an SD card. You use the feature if you want. Having a 128/256 MB MP3 player is still pretty good, no iPod, but still good.
    That's a really good point Appleman. But there is the stereo headphone component. And can no one make a slam-dunk earpiece for these phones? Everyone in LA is walking around holding the wire to their mouths like robots.

I guess I personally have no use for the SD card -- or at least I never have. I sync every day with my computer, so I don't need a backup on an SD card. And I don't need any additional reference software or games... I'm really not sure what people use the cards for. But if it came down to it, I'd definitely rather have Bluetooth over an SD card. (although both would be great).

And lastly, if there is no bluetooth capability, I want a cool little Treo DOCK like the new iPod docks. I am sick of having to plug that little cord into the Treo.
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast