Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

ARHHH!! That is absolutely terrible news!! This will significantly dissuade me from getting this device! How could HS make such a horrendous mistake? Absolutely inexcusable! Almost every other OS 5.x pda/smarphone has a high rez (320x320) screen. A 160x160 screen is a freakin joke!
    Oh my goodness. If they indeed stuck with a standard res, I am in no way shape or form going to buy this. I hope that perhaps this was incorrectly reported.
    Handsome Swine
    Well done craigdts!

But...but I can NOT believe the width of Treo 600 you described here. Same width with the screen of Treo 300? are you sure about this? I just check ZDNET, the diagonal size of Treo 300 is 2.75inch, so one side is aboutn 1.66inch in length. It is even smaller than the width of my Ericsson T39 (2 inch). Sounds unbelievable.

Maybe you mean the width of Treo 600 is the same as the diagonal size of Treo 300 screen, right?

Please clarify this. Thanks
    another question, craigdts. You mentioned treo 600 has the same length as that of Treo 300. Including antenna or not? What is the antenna length of Treo 600? Thanks.
    bluetooth thru sd slot .

askd if bundled office to go or any sftwr wouldn't say

correction xternal/bckup battery thru usb connector

voice dialing if pay for it thru sprint
  6.    #126  
    I don't think the width of the 600 is the same as the current mods - when I held it, it was definitely more narrow. Like I said yesterday, it seemed about as wide as the 6035. Maybe a <tiny> bit wider. Def not as long as the 6035.
  7.    #127  
    I read your post closer - I guess you meant the width of the DEVICE is about the same as the current screen. That's probably closer. It might be a tad wider than the current screen.

It's going to be funny to look back on these posts on six months and check all the hype and speculation...
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Oh my goodness. If they indeed stuck with a standard res, I am in no way shape or form going to buy this. I hope that perhaps this was incorrectly reported.
    I'm going to have to concur. I want to run ScummVM.

http://palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5355
    If I were a betting man, I'd bet that this new device does not have 160x160 resolution. I wouldn't get too worked up over this until there is some real word regarding it. As you all already expressed, it's unbelievable. Therefore, I don't believe it.

Sorry, octagonmost... nothing personal.
    Last edited by silverado; 06/03/2003 at 04:25 PM.
    Alright, a small feature question, but one of my favorites....

Does it still have the dedicated hard switch for speaker on/off?
    SORRY craig, I made a mistake. The side of the screen in current treo is about 2 inch in length, not 1.66 inch . Its a reasonable width for the new treo.

Originally posted by UGlee
    Well done craigdts!

But...but I can NOT believe the width of Treo 600 you described here. Same width with the screen of Treo 300? are you sure about this? I just check ZDNET, the diagonal size of Treo 300 is 2.75inch, so one side is aboutn 1.66inch in length. It is even smaller than the width of my Ericsson T39 (2 inch). Sounds unbelievable.

Maybe you mean the width of Treo 600 is the same as the diagonal size of Treo 300 screen, right?

Please clarify this. Thanks
    Have you asked about Tri-band?
    I don't know about you guys but I'm absolutely pissed off that the Treo 600 only has a friggin 160x160 resolution screen! I was willing overlook the lack of BT, no flip cover etc, but this is absolutely ridiculous! I don't care if its STN and better in sunlight if the damned screen is still the crappy low rez type!! Sheesh! What a friggin disaster! Any anticipation or excitement I previously had for this device has been absolutely deflated or rather killed! Who the heck cares about Jeff Hawkin's supposed "vision" if he can't even avoid making such a stupid design decision like this!? It looks I'm getting the T608 + TG50 afterall.
    Hey Craigdts:

Well done buddy.

Could the "different" browser just be an enhanced version of the Blazer browser?

Also can you possibly find out whether or not it is a dual or single frequency phone?

Regards,

Rv
    Originally posted by fredster
    Handsome Swine
    Thanks. My mom calls me that too.
    On the screen resolution, guess I'm willing to wait and see how the screen looks when I actually hold the unit. Everyone that has seen it says it looks awesome. I don't know all the technology that goes into screen resolution and what user noticeable improvement would have been gotten by going with a different method, but if the actual improvement were only marginal and HS got close to the same functionality with this at a lower cost, I say good going HS.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    According to the info posted by Hero Craig, the dimension of new treo should be:

107 x 50 x ~16mm

for comparison, here is dimensions of my Ericsson T39

96 x 50 x 18mm

It is dramatically smaller than any smartbrick on our global.
    I don't know about you guys but I'm absolutely pissed off that the Treo 600 only has a friggin 160x160 resolution screen! I was willing overlook the lack of BT, no flip cover etc, but this is absolutely ridiculous! I don't care if its STN and better in sunlight if the damned screen is still the crappy low rez type!! Sheesh! What a friggin disaster! Any anticipation or excitement I previously had for this device has been absolutely deflated or rather killed! Who the heck cares about Jeff Hawkin's supposed "vision" if he can't even avoid making such a stupid design decision like this!? It looks I'm getting the T608 + TG50 afterall.
    Yeah, I agree. I need at least 320x320.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Sorry, but I've got to take back all I said before about giving the Treo600 the thumbs up... 160 x 160 Excuse me, but it's 2003!! Maybe I'm dating myself, but I still have the original (ORIGINAL!!) Pilot 1000 from US Robotics (as a museum piece of course IT HAS 160 X 160 resolution!! You'da thunk that HS would have progressed beyond that by now
    go.digital
  20.    #140  
    GlennG -

the build seemed VERY solid to me. I would guess that Sprint pretty much demanded that the flip was to be gone, and that the overall unit be much more solid and firm.

Screen perspective -

Yes, not to get too worked up until you see the real specs, and even then, wait until you SEE one. Again, when I held it next to my 300, I had to check TWICE to make sure my unit didn't have the backlit on and thus the screen less bright - the difference btw the two, WITH the 300 at full bright, was that dramatic.

Also - for those of you wanting to jump off the boat cuz it might or might not have 360x480 resolution or whatever, remember the market that Handspring is targeting: the mass consumer, for the most part. They are not going after the latest Sony NZ71 bloat - they are going after the 7135 and Samsung palm phone, BOTH of whose screens are smaller. And they're going after the mass PHONE market, not the high-end PDA market. A smaller screen HAD to be there, and if it's 160x160, well that was likely a trade-off they had to make to reach the MASSES.
    I doubt you'll be seeing hi-res on the 600, but reserve judgement until you see the whole package.
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast