Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Japorms
    if the screen is at least 320 x 320, then It will be my next purchase. I dont mind the 'no-flip cover'. Just release the GSM 1st.
    I will too,
    I was waiting so long time for Hi-Res screen...
    Originally posted by craigdts
    my wife works 1 exit from the anatole, so make it a lunch date, that way i wont be going out there for nothing if i cant get in.
    Make sure you bring a digital camera. Something tells me that won't want you taking a picture of it, so bring your wife in and have her distract them while you snap some photos. You may also need to be prepared to start running after you do so.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    FYI: i just wanted to add that other people who have seen the Treo 600 are reporting that it will NOT have integrated bluetooth. Oh, well... That would have made this a incredible smartphone, but it still sounds very compelling though...

P.S. I want to emphasize, this has not been confirmed positively either way!!
    Last edited by Gaurav; 06/03/2003 at 01:56 PM.
    my wife works 1 exit from the anatole, so make it a lunch date, that way i wont be going out there for nothing if i cant get in.

though i do have a friend whose husband works @ the anatole . . . might be able to help . . .

what's the best time to go to get to see the treo?
    I was thinking "how pathetic is it that someone would plan their day around seeing a new phone?" Until I realized I'd do the exact same thing.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    FYI: i just wanted to add that other people who have seen the Treo 600 are reporting that it will NOT have integrated bluetooth. Oh, well... That would have made this a incredible smartphone, but it still sounds very compelling though...
    I agree with that! Perhaps (hoping hoping hoping) they can put some BT hardware in before production begins? Or maybe they'll make a Treo 600B with Bluetooth?
    I was thinking "how pathetic is it that someone would plan their day around seeing a new phone?" Until I realized I'd do the exact same thing. [/QUOTE]

then think about how much money i have invested in HAND and it sounds even less pathetic.
    Maybe the thought is that you can use and SD bluetooth or wifi card, so you can take your pick.

Kevin
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I agree with that! Perhaps (hoping hoping hoping) they can put some BT hardware in before production begins? Or maybe they'll make a Treo 600B with Bluetooth?
    Hoping against hope huh? This kinda similar to all those clie users who are hoping the NX80v will include BT in NA... Anyway I agree that BT with such a huge battery would have been a nice combo. Perhaps we might see a gsm/gprs version with BT? In any case, if the Treo 600 has SDIO as reported, you should be able to use a BT sd card. The only problem is that there are no OS 5.x drivers currently available for the BT card. However, it's rumored the forthcoming Hagiwara cards are supposed to include these drivers...
    I was thinking "how pathetic is it that someone would plan their day around seeing a new phone?" Until I realized I'd do the exact same thing.

then think about how much money i have invested in HAND and it sounds even less pathetic.
    [/QUOTE]

Craigdts,

It's great that you're going! It would be wonderful if you could provide a second point of view on the device in addition to filling in missing information that has been asked about here.

I am interested in size and weight. Please try to compare it to exiting phones (like the P800) in size and give us your feel on the weight. Someone in another board said that it is too heavy for its size.

Looking forward to your report!!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Originally posted by miradu
    ]These next 2 weeks will be exciting. I'm worried about the lack of a GSM product. It was my understanding from somewhere that GSM would be released first...
    Probably from here

"There will be both a GSM and CDMA version available, as both Sprint and Orange (large GSM provider in Europe) are strategic carriers. Orange will market and support the product in a fashion similar to Sprint, and have made a significant purchase commitment for the product.

As with the current generation Treo?s, It is likely that the GSM product will be available first. Handspring expects initial product shipment in the Q3 (July through September) time range, and the Sprint version in Q4 (October through December). Limited quantities will be available at first, but full scale manufacturing should be in effect towards the end of the year."

So what I think this means is this:

Yes, the Treo 600 will be released first on the Sprint (CDMA) network.

But that doesn't mean the Treo 540 (?) won't be released sooner, for the GSM network.

In any case, I was waiting for the next gen Treo to make my leap from Cingular to Sprint. These specs make it sound like it was worth the wait. I'm psyched! Thanks, nrosser!
    "It's great that you're going! It would be wonderful if you could provide a second point of view on the device in addition to filling in missing information that has been asked about here.

I am interested in size and weight. Please try to compare it to exiting phones (like the P800) in size and give us your feel on the weight. Someone in another board said that it is too heavy for its size."

Just had my morning coffee. About to walk out the door. i've re-read recent messages; hopefully i'll be able to provide more answer. Let's pray i can get in.

I'll hit my school (which is 5 min from the anatole, and i have some research i need to do) after i see the treo and update you guys.

*nrosser, thanks again for all the posts and info.
    This is definitely an evolutionary device. It definitely would have been a bold move to include WiFi. It's just plain asinine not to include Bluetooth. Should have known, Hawkins seemed underwhelmed by WiFi and BT in his latest interview. The way I look at it WiFi wasn't added because HAND wants to be nice with the carriers (not eat into their paid minutes)...same for BT, why allow people to use BT phone as a modem when they could be paying a fortune to dial in with the phone at Telcos outrageous rates.
    Bluetooth is tremendously useful for any pda/phone hybrid.
    wirelessly connects to your pc
    can use wireless BT headsets
    Can easily exchange data with other people using BT enabled phones.
    among others...........................................................................
    Treo 600

- Thumboard
    - No flip
    - Supertwist Screen
    - CDMA (for now)

Samsung

- Removable Battery
    - Flip
    - External Screen
    - GPRS (for now)

Those are the only difference I see for sure now between these two phones. Basically, Handspring is going to release a phone (at some point) that is no more innovative than a phone that has been shown publically months ago. Ultimately, I believe it comes down to how much you like QWERTY thumboards. For me, I find the keyboard too small now, and the non-removable battery life to short in the Treo, so it looks like the Samsung.
    Last edited by sir_mycroft; 06/03/2003 at 10:35 AM.
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft
    Treo 600

- Thumboard
    - No flip
    - Supertwist Screen
    - CDMA (for now)

Samsung

- Removable Battery
    - Flip
    - External Screen
    - GPRS (for now)

I will certainly pick SGH-i500 anytime if it supports CDMA. Too bad though, neither supports BT. Low res. camera doesn't do much either.
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft
    Those are the only difference I see for sure now between these two phones. Basically, Handspring is going to release a phone (at some point) that is no more innovative than a phone that has been shown publically months ago. Ultimately, I believe it comes down to how much you like QWERTY thumboards. For me, I find the keyboard too small now, and the non-removable battery life to short in the Treo, so it looks like the Samsung.
    Be aware, however, that the SGH-i500 probably will have an even smaller screen than the Treo 600! Also, while the new Treo won't have a replaceable battery, the one it has is HUGE! (I know I'm repeating myself! ) The SGH will have a rechargeable (1100mAh) battery which allows for 200 minute of talk time and 100 hours on standby while the Treo 600 will supposedly have either a 1600 or 1800 mAh! That definitely going to be a major upgrade over the current Treos. Also, you just can't overlook the unlimited data plans from SprintPCS! However, in the end it's all up to one's personal preferences...
    Treo 300 updates to the Treo 600

Will they offer and update without the cell phone function:

Treo 90 becomes Treo 180...

Oh wait... that won't work.

How about a new Visor with everything minus the cell phone portion and add a SpringBoard back in.

Oh wait... HS buried that technology.

Oh well..

still not sold on the phone/pda combo device...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Be aware, however, that the SGH-i500 probably will have an even smaller screen than the Treo 600! Also, while the new Treo won't have a replaceable battery, the one it has is HUGE! (I know I'm repeating myself! ) The SGH will have a rechargeable (1100mAh) battery which allows for 200 minute of talk time and 100 hours on standby while the Treo 600 will supposedly have either a 1600 or 1800 mAh! That definitely going to be a major upgrade over the current Treos. Also, you just can't overlook the unlimited data plans from SprintPCS! However, in the end it's all up to one's personal preferences...
    We don't know about screen size yet, so I didn't list it. As far as the battery goes, my experience is no matter how huge, I always, always need more. And while 1600 - 1800 mAh sounds like a lot (BTW Samsung will also be offering a 1700 mAh replacement battery) if the Treo 600 has a flash, the new bright screen has more power needs, etc., etc., suddenly that 1800 can't get me through the weekend. Unlimited data plans from Sprint are definately the way to go, I agree. But more carriers will adopt them, and a CMDA version of the Samsung is probably on the horizon.

While the new treo will be a definate advance on the old (the SDIO card alone is a vast improvement) my point was the treo is not going to wow anyone with its listed features by the time they get around to releasing it. And in fact, except for the thumboard (if useable), it is less innovative than the Samsung which showed at CeBit back in March.
    FWIW PIC is finally reporting this story:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5434
    Originally posted by fredster
    It's just plain asinine not to include Bluetooth.
    Although the T600 lacks BT and dispite the comparison to the Samsung SGH I-500, I still give it a thumbs up.

I think the simple reason BT was not included in the T600 is cost. If this is to be a mass market device (one that the very existence of HS is riding on) you'd better believe that every penny counts. I imagine that in the process of "trimming the fat", the design team had to exclude BT, WIFI, and other goodies that pushed the device out of it's target cost window. In the end, I'm betting these features will not be missed by the masses (but they will be missed by those of us on the edge).

Regarding the SGH I-500, I'd be supprised if it was available this time next year. The SCH I-500 has been an extremely long time coming, and I don't expect the powers that be to release a superior device (high res screen, Palm OS 5.x, SD card) right on it's heels. So for quite possibly the next year, the T600 will be the best PDAPhone w/ Palm 5.x OS, high res screen, and SD card, plus keyboard.
    go.digital
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast